PDA

View Full Version : Brand new winch no worky!?

RD28T
3rd October 2012, 09:08 PM
Hey all, Bought a "RidgeRyder" winch from supercheap ( 12,000lb ) Hooked it all up and when I push the button to winch in or out it makes a loud tick and then my headlights shut off until I release the button, Whats goin on? ... also I rotated the clutch and terminals so everything is on top if that makes any difference...

threedogs
3rd October 2012, 09:12 PM
Sounds like not enough uummmppppffff
sure you wired it right

the ferret
3rd October 2012, 09:16 PM
Chinese winch lol.
Cheers, the ferret.

89gqpatrol4x4
3rd October 2012, 09:20 PM
I have a cheapy too. Works fine though only used it properly once, but only had it 6 weeks. Very simply to wire, just make sure you have wired it as per instructions and that your battery is up to it. I think it needed a min of 650 cca.

threedogs
3rd October 2012, 09:23 PM
Need very thick cable, did you have your motor running, they thrive on CCA, cold cranking amps
Be very carefull this could end very badly [quickly] if you don't get it right, big puff of smoke

RD28T
3rd October 2012, 10:25 PM
Yeah Righto cheers lads I think the battery is abit sad so ill look into that, I have a dual battery setup, But havent got the second battery in at the minute, Would this help?

RD28T
3rd October 2012, 10:28 PM
Yeah mate had the car running ill look into how many CCA my battery is throwing cheers

threedogs
3rd October 2012, 10:36 PM
Definetly have the engine running these pull huge amounts of amps, I mean huge.
If you're not on your toes it'll flatten the battery very ,very quickly
A good battery will have 700cca plus, It's not ideal as most dual battery set up use a deep cycle
but you can flatten this heaps of times and bring them back to life, a start battery no so good
But we set our 4x4s up for camping not winching eh

macca
4th October 2012, 07:39 AM
Mate you need to check the wiring, no load the motor will spin, if battery was dead you wont be able to start the engine.

Should be a stamp beside terminals to identify each cable.

When rotating motor nothing got pinched inside? Can it actually be rotated?

RD28T
4th October 2012, 12:24 PM
Mate you need to check the wiring, no load the motor will spin, if battery was dead you wont be able to start the engine.

Should be a stamp beside terminals to identify each cable.

When rotating motor nothing got pinched inside? Can it actually be rotated?

I've gone over the wiring a few times now, all seems to be connected as instructions said, I can free spool the motor and pull the rope out..

macca
4th October 2012, 01:56 PM
Mate I meant internal wiring of the brushes etc getting caught or touching the case.

Sorry that wasn't real clear,

threedogs
4th October 2012, 02:47 PM
Free spooling is just a mechanical thing, all you're doing is disconnecting the gears to "free spool"
nothing to do with the way its wired.

Bloodyaussie
4th October 2012, 03:01 PM
I've gone over the wiring a few times now, all seems to be connected as instructions said, I can free spool the motor and pull the rope out..
What area of Australia you at mate?????

RD28T
4th October 2012, 04:26 PM
What area of Australia you at mate?????

In albury wodonga mate

threedogs
4th October 2012, 04:32 PM
Go see the boys at Albury Shocks if you really get stuck

RD28T
4th October 2012, 10:18 PM
Cheers for all the help lads, gave up on it, went an got my money back, went straight to ARB an baught a warn an recovery pack, cheerin.