PDA

View Full Version : 12000lb generic ebay winch yay or nay

jimbeamteam
2nd October 2012, 09:40 PM
Hey all, I'm considering getting one of those generic winches off ebay, one of the I force ones like this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251096836404

Has anyone had any experience with these types of winches, i know it isn't a top shelf model but it wont be gettin alot of use, a just in case winch. has anyone attached one of these to factory gu patrol bullbar(with slot for winch)? any modifications needed or do they fit right in?

Bloodyaussie
2nd October 2012, 10:00 PM
Your link is broken!!!

megatexture
2nd October 2012, 10:07 PM
item has been removed... but also remember that you more than likely won’t be able to get replacement parts for a cheap winch maybe ask, or be prepared to dump it for a replacement if something happens to it

jimbeamteam
2nd October 2012, 10:20 PM
Sorry this one might work better

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251096836404&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:AU:1123

jimbeamteam
2nd October 2012, 10:22 PM
or not, bugger, not sure how to get it up properly, its one of the cheap ones anyway

threedogs
2nd October 2012, 10:24 PM
Gunna be same old same old, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
save your fun vouchers for a decent one or a diff lock IMO

matthewperk
2nd October 2012, 10:51 PM
I bought an iforce 12,000lb. Broke down on first use. It has paper gaskets that leaked like nothing. And the clutch handle wouldn't lock in with the nut once I pulled apart the gearbox. I'll sell you mine for $100! (Not working) I'm looking at buying one of the new ironman winches or a xd9000 depending on finances...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

threedogs
2nd October 2012, 10:57 PM
At least you have warranty in Aust if you decide to go with Ironman. Mate put one on his 4x4
something stuffed up, no questions asked Ironman fitted a brand new winch, gotta like that

jimbeamteam
3rd October 2012, 01:17 AM
that's the sort of thing I'm worried about matthewperk, I ain't gonna be using the winch constantly but I'd like to know its there if i do need it, i like the warn winches and the bullbar is suited to the xd9000 which'd be handy, maybe i should keep an eye out for a decent 2nd hand one

megatexture
3rd October 2012, 01:44 AM
there are plenty of quality winches on the market, if you don’t plan on using it often just get a mid priced one. warn have made a few lemons in there day also so it can be luck of the draw.
I have a tabor9k winch that’s made by warn it’s just there cheep version and I’ve flogged it many times and have only had to replace the free spool lever once in 3yrs. just look for a mid price one and inquire about warranty and after market parts avalible and dont forget to service it even if you dont use it much.

threedogs
3rd October 2012, 07:26 AM
Jimbeam, you just brought up a very good point, you say you'll only use it a few times.
Thats a lot of money and weight sitting on the front of your 4x4. I'd personally be putting a locker in the front.
you may need a suspension up grade as winch combo is 45 kg plus, so theres more fun vouchers gone
Possibly a 2nd battery as well, all adding up..

Winnie
3rd October 2012, 07:29 AM
The lockers are just gonna get you a little further before you do need the winch! =P

Tip tap tippity tip tappity tap tap ding dong tipsy topsy wopsy mopsy tippy tap tap tipitty wee

threedogs
3rd October 2012, 07:33 AM
thats half the fun, coarse you'll still get stuck, but you'll be further in, lol

Winnie
3rd October 2012, 07:35 AM
And then you need the winch anyway lmao

Tip tap tippity tip tappity tap tap ding dong tipsy topsy wopsy mopsy tippy tap tap tipitty wee

threedogs
3rd October 2012, 07:38 AM
Yeah but, yeah but, point taken, just feel its a big cash outlay when there are other options

Winnie
3rd October 2012, 07:39 AM
Yeah but we all own 4WDs so are used to big cash outlays

taslucas
3rd October 2012, 10:23 AM
I was very interested in getting a cheapo winch because I probably wouldn't use it much but then I thought that the cheaper ones probably won't handle sitting around unused as well as a good one. So the time you go to use it, it's probably seized from a water crossing you did 6 months ago. I kept my eye out for a second hand one and got a warn xd9000 for $500. Needs a clean up but at least I know that all parts are replaceable. A quick look on their website showed that every single part had a part number and was available if I needed it. So I have piece of mind that I can keep it for ever and simply rebuild if necessary.:-)

Tap, crackle, pop

megatexture
3rd October 2012, 10:25 AM
True that. Could always get a hand winch ...... Not my cuppa tea but may suit your needs .

89gqpatrol4x4
3rd October 2012, 09:14 PM
no matter what winch it is you should be running it in and out a couple of times at least every 4-8 weeks to stop things from siezing up! And at the earliest convenience after a river crossing should run the winch in and out a few times to heat it up and dry out the winch as to not sieze it.

snewin
4th October 2012, 09:20 AM
no matter what winch it is you should be running it in and out a couple of times at least every 4-8 weeks to stop things from siezing up! And at the earliest convenience after a river crossing should run the winch in and out a few times to heat it up and dry out the winch as to not sieze it.

Can you spray some WD-40 or other dispersal agent in there to help? Contact cleaner?

TimE
4th October 2012, 11:54 AM
Mate who fixes winches for a living reckons the main problem with the cheapies is the gear sets. For occasional use they are OK, BUT, he suggests that you always use a snatch block to lesson the strain on the gears, but don't be surprised if they go bang.

I had a 12,000lb cheapy that got used 1/2 dozen times without issues, sold still attached to the last car. I have a Tabor (built by Warn) on the Patrol, it replaced an old 8,000lb Warn that sh!t itself, from old age and water ingress. For occasional use the Tabor has been a good investment I think, and is fixable, with parts readily available if needed.

threedogs
4th October 2012, 04:30 PM
Think you've hit the nail on the head TIMe, Buy a winch that is servicable and spare parts are readily available for it, even though cheap less than $400 you dont want to throw it away after
one recovery, get a warranty as well and check if Aust wide . I'm still of the opinion to save your money for a front locker. Your winch is a major investment. It may sit unused on your 4x4 all year, sort of wasted money, sort of. then you have all that extra weight on the front, 45 kg for winch then batteries ,winch bar, I'd be going a diff lock first, then really think if I do need a winch.

89gqpatrol4x4
4th October 2012, 07:46 PM
Can you spray some WD-40 or other dispersal agent in there to help? Contact cleaner?
yeah sure I use inox and spray it on or around all electrical parts on my winch after i wash it and before any trip!