PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat removal

snakessou
2nd October 2012, 09:11 PM
Hi,

Would there be any major drawbacks about removing and leaving the thermostat out?

I am guessing the coolant flow if to cold would cause the motor to run sluggy, but is that the only issues.

also is there an easier way of replacing it, looking at my 2.8, removal of the battery is the best option, tips at this point would be handy.

cheers

the ferret
2nd October 2012, 09:18 PM
Some engines will overheat if you remove the thermostat, If it's faulty, get a new one.
Removing it will cause the engine to be slow warming up.
Removing it can cause the coolant to travel too quickly and not have time to be cooled.
Why do you want to remove it?
Cheers, the ferret.

threedogs
2nd October 2012, 09:18 PM
the coolant has no chance to cool down, use only OE thermostat. if your having problems look elsewhere, motors need thermostats
Is it on the front rh side of motor?

snakessou
14th October 2012, 06:33 PM
thank you for your help, i found the answer in another thread... after all of the buggering around ordering parts, it ended up being the radiator cap.. *shaking my head* well i was told at the start of the investigation that there is a flow chart and guess what, the second item appart from the coolant level is (drum roll) radiator cap... somehow i missed this.

was checking coolant and topping up every couple of days, now is two weeks since i changed the cap and no change in coolant level.

thank you.

threedogs
14th October 2012, 07:46 PM
Cheap fix got to be happy with that hey, well done buddy, You'd be surprised how many times a cap is overlooked

Morton
20th October 2012, 11:16 PM
as long as it is genuine it will stay that way

snakessou
12th January 2015, 03:36 PM
havnt been on here for a while, update.
the issue i was having was that the head had an small corrosion and exhaust gasses were entering the coolant. head replaced and added a 3 core ally radiator.
fine since then doen some touring up bush and around the place.
like a dream.
few mods added and removed. good fun... next is the egr block off.
thank you agin for all of the help that was given. reccomended this page to my friends.

Clunk
12th January 2015, 05:12 PM
havnt been on here for a while, update.
the issue i was having was that the head had an small corrosion and exhaust gasses were entering the coolant. head replaced and added a 3 core ally radiator.
fine since then doen some touring up bush and around the place.
like a dream.
few mods added and removed. good fun... next is the egr block off.
thank you agin for all of the help that was given. reccomended this page to my friends.

cheers mate, always good to find out if something has been fixed or not

Dervo
18th January 2015, 06:31 PM
Just to add if I can but I just replaced my thermostat as the old one was stuffed. Gut feeling and I was right.. The old one would not close and was half open and at 78 degrees would start to open fully so it was always open.. Yes the motor ran very hot.. New thermostat and problem solved... Oh and I replaced the cap at the same time...