PDA

View Full Version : Ticking motor

jonest383
2nd October 2012, 06:21 PM
My rd28t has developed a ticking noise, its coming from the motor and happens at random times, its not an exhaust leak. It gets louder as i rev it, any ideas on what it could be??

the ferret
2nd October 2012, 06:37 PM
Valve clearance may be, could even be a fan belt, spray water on the belt and see if the noise goes away.
Check the harmonic balancer bolt.
Loose alternator or aircon compressor.
Cheers, the ferret.

jonest383
2nd October 2012, 06:54 PM
ok cheers, im almost certain that its coming from the rocker cover.. everytime i stop to check it goes away lol. It sounds just like a typical ticking noise you hear from a lot of older cars.

the ferret
2nd October 2012, 07:28 PM
You could try and track the noise using a piece of hose, with one end on your ear and move the hose around till you find where it is loudest.
Or you could drop into a good mechanic and let him /her have a listen.
Cheers, the ferret.

threedogs
2nd October 2012, 09:29 PM
Wish everyone wuld fill in the location part under the Avatar, frustrates the all get out ,out of me, even which state would be better than nothing

threedogs
4th October 2012, 10:15 PM
Yo Ferret hope he didn't put hose to ear and other end got caught up. Huge oh&s issues
X 2 with you maybe time for a good going over, all fuids belts hoses, Valve clearances
Give it a birthday and alls good again

oilpond
11th October 2012, 10:29 AM
A tapping noise under the tappet cover hmmm...

JonnoD
31st October 2012, 11:26 AM
^ lol, could be a large number of things including exhauset mani gasket or vale clearances