PDA

View Full Version : Fridge slide draws

optic
2nd October 2012, 05:55 PM
In the end i got the fridge slide sorted off ebay.
When i installed it i just stood back and said no way am i going to give up that space in the Patrol.
Put the grey matter to work over a few days, then decided to install an under fridge storage system.
It did take a bit of working out but its has all worked out great.
These pics are not the finished product. ( But it will you an idea of how to use lost space.)
Ill show that later on when i get the new fridge slide handle sorted.
The handle takes up to much room to work, i will not give up any room that i have a use for.
What is not shown as yet is the water storage that will be between the slide and the window.
A SS tank, Why SS, i had a sheet given to me.
This will also have a water height gauge built into it.
This has been a great project, and also a great learning curve in many ways.
Im not a builder im an engineer so i measure everything with a vernier and i find it easy for me to work that way. This is when you find out just how bad some things are like draw slides out by 2mm on the center line. Puts 1 slide out of line by 2mm>?
Its all made from form ply 17mm, 1 bit is rubbish of so called form ply. All Bunnings stuff.
What a nightmare it is to use it, so use the good stuff. $76.00 a sheet. It is consistent.
The cheap stuff varies up to 4mm in thickness at the joins in the sheets of the ply in overlap joints.
I hope this may help others wanting to make the best use of space in their Patrol.
Sorry cant get the pics to upload.

threedogs
2nd October 2012, 06:30 PM
Great looking setup. Storage always a problems on 4x4 s. Have a look at installing a false roof for storing light stuff etc, plenty of spare bolt holes from the hand grips.
I'm personally not a big fan of storage systems mainly cause they weigh 80 odd kg empty. But its the only option ATM. In the near future I'm going to gut the big door and recess
some storage in there, coffee,sugar etc. Day trip stuff

optic
3rd October 2012, 02:30 PM
Thanks for that advice.
If the pics work here is the finished job.

threedogs
3rd October 2012, 03:06 PM
That looks great better than whats out there, gotta be happy with that.
Did you design the drop down fridge slide.??
gotta love engineers measured with a vernier, lmfao

optic
3rd October 2012, 04:42 PM
Yer using the vernier makes builders cringe, but at least i know it will fit without a bloody hammer.
The slide isnt mine, I had thought of making one up then got told they are already on ebay.
A bit pricy @ $625.00 but much cheaper than me making it @ my rates. Parts and folding sheet up would total beyond $625
Its a bit like the gas strut doors lol, a great idea but some one beat me to it.
It would not be hard to make something that does the job as well as the slide i have.
I had planned to attach a vertical draw on the end of it for canned foods, as well as the water supply between the slide and the window.
Ill nut it all out then get stuck into it.
It was a good build, it went pretty much to plan apart from the lousy draw slides. Draws take for ever to make and get right.
I would have used self closers but didnt know they were available until to late. Which also means handles or holes to open them with.
Holes to my way of thinking, and i also think the self closer may last longer it seems to be better made and stronger.
In the end i just thought that what i have done may help others in the quest for storage space.
If any one is interested in doing what i have done and needs advice, feel free to ask.

threedogs
3rd October 2012, 04:50 PM
know zip about woodwork, as my mates can attest to but, at the back of the drawers do you have a spring or something to keep a load on them. .Thinking this may stop the rattles down the track, Take the cover off the rear doors heaps of room there. I'll get a pic of my spice rack/mini bar from other 4x4.

Pricey for a fridge slide???

threedogs
3rd October 2012, 06:45 PM
This is my spice rack/mini bar from my other 4x4 that my son owns now.
those small UHT milk cartons fit perfect, this would hold all my coffee, sugar,milk
anything small really, door is spring loaded. bit dirty but this 4x4 been sitting a while.
Was going to recess fire extinghisher there but best spot for that is next to driver, full stop.

optic
4th October 2012, 07:07 AM
That looks ok.
The slides are spring loaded. They push in before they will open.