PDA

View Full Version : Defence force members!

Pages : [1] 2

PMC
2nd October 2012, 09:50 AM
I have removed all material content because I have left this forum!

threedogs
2nd October 2012, 10:07 AM
This'll be good to know in case the TOJO boys decide to attack, strength in numbers I say, lol

easy on the lounge lizard bit hey

Stropp
2nd October 2012, 11:14 AM
ex RAAF, but a looooong time ago lol, but can still shoot straight.

the evil twin
2nd October 2012, 06:30 PM
another ex Raafie... did 21 years, never got to bomb anyone, false advertising if you ask me but then again I was only sober for about 10 months of the 21 years so, meah, coulda wiped out a small African nation and been none the wiser.

threedogs
2nd October 2012, 06:35 PM
Dad was RAF in WW2. radio Operator in Darwin ,13th and 30th squadron,at the 40 mile air strip south of Darwin

Dad was there when Darwin was bombed, gee hope that S$%T never happens again

DX grunt
2nd October 2012, 07:25 PM
I'll put my hand up to being the first......sailor. lol

8 years in the navy, many, many moons ago. I can still shoot straight, too. hahahaha

threedogs
2nd October 2012, 08:32 PM
Many moons ago,, helloooo sailor I get it LMFAO. Nah well done
I just missed Nasho so lucky I guess

russ81
2nd October 2012, 08:42 PM
13 years in the Australian regular army started as a grunt (6 RAR) and later in the piece transferred to Cav (2/14 LHR and 2 CAV), deployed to East Timor, Iraq and Afghanistan, got out last year after being wounded in Afghanistan and being medically discharged.

growler2058
2nd October 2012, 09:00 PM
Cheers Russ

Double Tap

threedogs
2nd October 2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks I think. but we need to stay safe to prevent WW3
then again as I type this over 150 wars are going on around the world somewhere.
things have definitey changed since WW1, it's a push button fight now, IMO
thats all I'll say as lots of people have different views
Wish we didn't need, soldiers,sailors, pilots etc, ahhhh the perfect world
in my time I can't see it happening sad but true

stets
2nd October 2012, 09:54 PM
Successfully completed US marines entry with an offer for advanced placement. Turned it down when I was told I had to wear a tux

Tap,tap,tapping in your head

Timmo
2nd October 2012, 10:10 PM
15 years and still strong, grunt for 5 years changed over to the Combat engneers, stuffed my back and knees now im a stinking Quee.........that plays with ammo

Steveo_the_Devo
2nd October 2012, 10:27 PM
Spent my youth in 6RAR. Have been out for couple decades now.

Tappity tap don't look back

twisty
3rd October 2012, 10:55 AM
ex RAAF. 5 & 35 Sqns (both disbanded now), 2AD and RAAFSTT.

oncedisturbed
3rd October 2012, 12:23 PM
Ex ARes - 10 Transport Sqn and 13 CSSB Transport Ptn - 5803838

Dad served just shy of 29 years, 14 years Aust SAS and just over 14 for Reg Infantry, originally when 16 Btn was a reg unit based in Perth before it went reserves.

I come from a long family line of military members

Tap, Tap Taparoo

DX grunt
3rd October 2012, 07:14 PM
Where's all the sailors ????????????????????????????

threedogs
3rd October 2012, 08:45 PM
Twisty where were those squadrons located???

mudski
3rd October 2012, 08:53 PM
I applied 20 years ago for the air force but failed the entry test. Does that count?

Bulbous
3rd October 2012, 11:23 PM

I was 22 years in the Royal Navy - Does that help?

Maxhead
4th October 2012, 06:25 AM

Lonely old sailor . Hahahah

........... On the move

raafy
5th October 2012, 06:10 AM
Retired from the RAAF 17 years ago after doing 20 years. Still miss the noise of the aircraft & the smell of jet fuel.

rkinsey
5th October 2012, 08:45 AM
I served for 6 years in the 1980's as a cook in Albury\Wodonga in the Army. I wasnt deployed to any opperations overseas but I did pass up an oportunity to work with the UN in Germany for 12 months. Im kicking myself for letting that one go, would have been there to see the beginning of the end of the Berlin Wall.

Although I didnt see any conflict, I am very respectful of those who have and will always be greatful for their sacriffice.

Cheers,

Rob

Tank
5th October 2012, 08:54 AM
I'll be the first Kiwi then spent time in the New Zealand Army 2/1 bat and then afterwards spent time working with Cadet Forces untill the bull shit got too deep. Can still shoot straight, track ect. Get to use some of these skills from time to time with SAR over here when we get an evadour (apart from the shooting them bit)

chester
5th October 2012, 07:31 PM
To all that have served or a still serving my hat come's off to you and my glass is raised.

I have never served,never wanted to,but i have the upmost respect for those who have.

Every year i go to the anzac service,and go down to the Vietnam rememberance day at the local VVMC clubhouse,on days when some of them feel like talking about it,sitting there having a beer with them and listening to them just blows my mind.

To the fallen heros who never made it back YOU ARE NEVER FORGOTTEN.

Monty_e
6th October 2012, 01:18 PM
Gday fellas.

RLI - I might have to PM you some advocacy questions.

I transferred to the Reserve in Jun 12 after 20! Enlisted as a Double-Chock in 92 (139 Sig Sqn - the old 6 Bde), transferred to ARA and Commissioned in 96 back with the Chooks. Had my fare share of Op tours, but enjoyed my jobs with Norforce and Aviation (5Avn & 16 Bde) the most. 11 years in Brisbane has to be a record!

PMC
6th October 2012, 02:18 PM
I was 22 years in the Royal Navy - Does that help?

G'day Bulbous,

Great Navy those Brits! Good onya mate for your service to your country!

Regards,

RLI

twisty
6th October 2012, 02:37 PM
Twisty where were those squadrons located???

5Sqn (Iroquois) at RAAF Fairbairn, Canberra. 35Sqn (Iroquois and Caribou) RAAF Base Townsville.

Monty_e
6th October 2012, 06:28 PM
Lest we forget!

the evil twin
7th October 2012, 02:43 AM
Jeez reading this a blokes getting all warm and fuzzy... I was lucky enough to get around a fair bit.

2 Aircraft Depot (Yuuuk, enough said)
478 Sqn (Malaysia)
481 Sqn (Newcastle)
486 Sqn (Sydney, two tours)
3 Sqn (Fighters also Malaysia)
36 Sqn (C130's)
TAAMS (Darwin)
Had a few overseas detachments to New Zealand and P.N.G. and a heap of short term stuff around Oz with the C130's to places like Townsville, Brissy, Adelaide, Tassy and some out of the way spots in W.A. and the East States outback when we used the Military a lot more than we do today to do 'National Assistance' tasking for flood and drought relief etc. Fodder drops were a bitch on the aircraft but the locals made sure you couldn't buy a beer at the local pub unless they bought you ten first.

2AD aside I loved almost every minute (sober or otherwise) and would do it all over again in a heartbeat... 'cept I'd drop something on those rrsehole pollies in Canberra who totally screw over the Defence Pensioners. Sorry, didn't mena to wax political but jeez they give me the shytes

twisty
7th October 2012, 01:08 PM
Jeez reading this a blokes getting all warm and fuzzy...

2AD aside I loved almost every minute (sober or otherwise) and would do it all over again in a heartbeat...

I hear ya ET. aahhh ... 2AD, where every good fitter goes to die.

I spent most of my time on helipcopters so I also spent a lot of time in the bush and on disaster relief. Best trip, Solomon Islands after a cyclone. BEAUTIFUL place, and nothing more fun than kicking out 44's of fuel in to the harbour from the back of a Caribou (and we stayed in a HOTEL!). Worst trip, the one to 2AD. Best flight was on exercise near Wiepa, Iroquois flat out, doors open, below tree top level along the Normanton (?) river and watching the crocs run for cover. I remember being greatful for the SLR in the roof lining, and then thinking "the only reason to stop here is if we crash".

Now ... where did I put those pics?

twindiff
10th October 2012, 11:41 AM
Gidday boys,

Just found this thread,

Ex RAAF 7 years 1989 to 1996
RAAFSTT - Wagga tech training
77SQN - Newcastle
75SQN - Katherine NT

Cheers,
Errol.

russ81
10th October 2012, 11:55 AM
A very small selection of pics from Iraq and Afghanistan http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/38.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/39.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/40.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/41.jpg

And the back of the patrol
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/42.jpg

Sent while temporally motionless

2TROLLFAM
10th October 2012, 12:57 PM
Does it count if I've dated Navy, Army & then married a RAAFY??? LOL

macca86
10th October 2012, 01:54 PM
I applied for the reserves in 2010 but was told in too fat bmi of 37. 35 was the cut off but now have an aplication in as a metal smith. See how it goes always wanted to serve hope I get the chance one day

russ81
10th October 2012, 04:09 PM
How's it going RLI looks like the Huey/ rappelling pic was taken from C/D Coy 6 RAR lines

oncedisturbed
10th October 2012, 05:15 PM
Gotttaaa lurve the SLR's

Tap, Tap Taparoo

Big_Roy
10th October 2012, 07:33 PM
Hey guys,

Just about to clock over 10 years in the Army as a Fitter, might stick around for a few more yet!

frenzy
10th October 2012, 09:34 PM
89 to 08 in the RAAF for me. Had a great time. Heaps of travel and great experiences.

russ81
11th October 2012, 01:35 AM
RLI PM sent

GU 2
12th October 2012, 08:40 AM
21 years in the Grey Funnel Line (Navy) 63 - 84.

2TROLLFAM
16th October 2012, 07:48 PM
G'evening GU 2,

I have a few ex-navy mates, what ships did your serve on?

Regards,

RLI

Yes - would be interesting to see :)

My best friend started his Naval career on the HMAS Hobart and was with her till the end ... Did 3 other ships after the Hobart but can't remember which ones they were.

Sent from Sharen's iPhone using Tapatalk ....

DX grunt
16th October 2012, 08:00 PM
G'evening GU 2,

I have a few ex-navy mates, what ships did your serve on?

Regards,

RLI

I was in the Navy from 1976 - 1984.

Served on warships 'Vampire' (Sydney based - and now in the museum), and the WA - HMAS Stirling based ships - Attack Class Patrol Boats Acute and Barricade (reservist), and survey ship, Moresby.

Shore establishments were Kuttabul and Albatross (Naval Air Station at Nowra) x 2. I loved Albatross that much, I went back for a second posting. Hung around a group of motorcycling 'birdies'. I had a ball there.

Rossco

oilpond
18th October 2012, 01:25 PM
Me dad and grandad served in combat and my boy is keen to join(hasslin me for cadets constantly but cant do as he is told so?) and i keep tight with beer,halo and cod:)

russ81
18th October 2012, 01:28 PM
Here is a few more pics from East Timor (6RAR) 03-04

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/67.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/68.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/69.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/70.jpg

russ81
19th October 2012, 11:29 PM
Most were okay to deal with, we had a few incidents with the militias but nothing we couldn't handle. Our exposure was limited as we spent most of our time doing OPs and recces along the border.

PMC
20th October 2012, 10:05 PM
Most were okay to deal with, we had a few incidents with the militias but nothing we couldn't handle. Our exposure was limited as we spent most of our time doing OPs and recces along the border.

Good onya Russ,

Keep up the good work!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
24th October 2012, 03:09 PM
G''day folks!

Once again we have lost another brave and courageous warrior!

Corporal Scott Smith was the 39th Australian soldier to be killed in Afghanistan. To the Smith family my family and I send our sincere condolences.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old; Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning We will remember them."

Regards,

Paul (RLI)

DX grunt
24th October 2012, 08:45 PM
G'day Rossco,

Good onya mate!

PS, Have you got an photo's to share with us?

Regards,

RLI

You know the rules....What happens north of the Equator, stays north of the Equator. lol

hekarewe
25th October 2012, 04:16 AM
i might as well admit to this as well served in the aust army in early eighties most of it spent at canungra on battle wing

PMC
25th October 2012, 11:14 PM
i might as well admit to this as well served in the aust army in early eighties most of it spent at canungra on battle wing

Good onya mate!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
25th October 2012, 11:18 PM
You know the rules....What happens north of the Equator, stays north of the Equator. lol

Good onya DX!

I did a bit of training in the west!

Regards,

RLI

Lonicus
28th October 2012, 07:04 AM
I was Framie in the RAAF from 78-88 (medically discharged).

Spent the majority of my time at 77sqn and 481sqn at Williamtown and a few years at 486sqn at Richmond.

Dad was in the Navy during the Korean war serving on HMAS Condamine.

My wife's uncle was one of the troops on the gun in Darwin that shot down the Jap fighter.

The thing that really blows me away is that my wife's father fought in WWI. He was in his late 60's when she was born, the randy old bugger :)

PMC
28th October 2012, 09:49 PM
I was Framie in the RAAF from 78-88 (medically discharged).

Spent the majority of my time at 77sqn and 481sqn at Williamtown and a few years at 486sqn at Richmond.

Dad was in the Navy during the Korean war serving on HMAS Condamine.

My wife's uncle was one of the troops on the gun in Darwin that shot down the Jap fighter.

The thing that really blows me away is that my wife's father fought in WWI. He was in his late 60's when she was born, the randy old bugger :)

G'evening Lonicus,

Proud history there mate!

PS, I hope i end up like your Grandfather!

Regards,

RLI,

oncedisturbed
28th October 2012, 10:21 PM
Hek, was that at the jungle training centre?

Old man spent a lot of time up there when he was in, never had the "pleasure" myself.

1 of my uncles was on the old HMAS Adelaide before the RAN decommissioned her, had 1 grand das in the British homeguard in WW2, another was a tail gunner in the same conflict ended up as a POW twice and last escape got shot through the neck.

Another GD was in WW1 but could never find out what he did but I have the campaign medals at home. Have other Uncles that also served in all 3 services but not sure on the areas though.

Tap, Tap Taparoo

Lonicus
29th October 2012, 06:37 AM
Hek, was that at the jungle training centre?

Another GD was in WW1 but could never find out what he did but I have the campaign medals at home. Have other Uncles that also served in all 3 services but not sure on the areas though.

Tap, Tap Taparoo

You should be able to find out all the info on your granddad's service history through the Australian National Archives, link below.

The archives were completed for WWI about a year ago. They contain scanned images of all service documents relating to each individual that served. Other conflicts are also listed however they are not complete as yet.

If you have relatives that served in say WWII and their details aren't on the digital database you can contact the ANA and they can supply you with a copy of the documents they have.

The Archive site is free for the digital records, just do a search on the family name.

Australian National Archives (http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/explore/defence/service-records/index.aspx) website.

I'd like to take credit for being a web search guru but it was my wife who found all this info when she was searching for her Dad's WWI service history :)

hekarewe
29th October 2012, 09:57 PM
[QUOTE=oncedisturbed;286963]Hek, was that at the jungle training centre?

yes did time at jungle warfare center and also in water transport in woolwich

megatexture
29th October 2012, 10:07 PM
You should be able to find out all the info on your granddad's service history through the Australian National Archives, link below.

The archives were completed for WWI about a year ago. They contain scanned images of all service documents relating to each individual that served. Other conflicts are also listed however they are not complete as yet.

If you have relatives that served in say WWII and their details aren't on the digital database you can contact the ANA and they can supply you with a copy of the documents they have.

The Archive site is free for the digital records, just do a search on the family name.

Australian National Archives (http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/explore/defence/service-records/index.aspx) website.

I'd like to take credit for being a web search guru but it was my wife who found all this info when she was searching for her Dad's WWI service history :)

Cheers mate my wife will be verry gratefull of his link

PMC
2nd November 2012, 04:22 PM
REAL HERO, HUMBLE MAN!

NEWSPAPER article of Australia's newest VC medal winner!

Australian soldier Daniel Keighran says the actions that ensured him the nation's highest military honour were not so much brave but 'very stupid'.

Days after putting his life on the line during a gunfight in Afghanistan in August 2010, the bushy bearded young Queenslander was interviewed by a reporter.
'Very stupid, yes - I wouldn't call it brave,' he told the Nine Network at the scene.

The battle against the Taliban at Derapet was among the most intense Australian forces fought in Afghanistan, lasting three hours. Showing complete disregard for his own safety, Corporal Keighran repeatedly broke cover to draw intense enemy fire in order to identify enemy locations and direct return fire. He also deliberately drew fire away from other members of his patrol in an action which caused the death of one of his mates, Lance Corporal Jared MacKinney.

'I said, Yeah mate, we are going to jump up, go for a bit of a run and try and draw some fire to see if you can see the guys down there, to see if you can get some rounds on,'' Cpl Keighran said.

Two years later in Canberra, Australia's 99th Victoria Cross was bestowed on the 29-year-old soldier.

'A man selfless in the face of threat, courageous in the face of terror, generous in the face of suffering and humble in the face of an honour bestowed,' said Governor-General Quentin Bryce.
'You have pushed the bounds of human compassion, endurance and gallantry to a place unknown to most and revered by all.'

Cpl Keighran was born in the Queensland town of Nambour. He is the first regular soldier to be awarded the VC for service in Afghanistan.

'I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for the boys with me that day,' he told reporters after the ceremony.

Cpl Keighran is now a reservist who works in a mine in Kalgoorlie.

He said he only told his wife Kathryn about his actions two weeks ago, after finding out he was to be given the VC.
'She wasn't impressed to start with,' he said with a laugh.

Cpl Keighran, who enlisted in 2000, described himself as a private man and said he would never get used to all the praise.

Cpl Keighran's medal, cast from the metal of guns captured during the Crimean War, arrived at Government House from London only at 9.15am on Thursday, just two hours ahead of his investiture

I salute you Cpl Keighran!

Regards,

Paul (RLI)

Stropp
2nd November 2012, 05:10 PM
too true Paul these guys have got what it takes and my hat goes off to them.

Lonicus
2nd November 2012, 05:26 PM
Saw the ceremony live on the ABC. A truly humble bloke and was more interested in letting everyone know that his mates deserved as much recognition as he did.

russ81
2nd November 2012, 06:21 PM
I have had the honour to serve along side Dan and all the boys who were there that day, infact my son is named after Jared Mackinney who was killed in action during the battle. Dan is one of the must humble down to earth blokes you could ever meet. Makes me so proud to be from the 6th Battalion

Coldcomfort
5th November 2012, 05:11 PM
Work in defense back rooms....... sshhhh

PMC
6th November 2012, 08:09 PM
G'day lounge lizards!

Keep the photo's coming men!

Regards,

RLI

svmcewan
6th November 2012, 09:18 PM
Hi I'm stephen Ex Australian Army RAAMC for 16 Years
Now in Huonville Tasmania
Love to get out and travel on the tracks.
There is not a day I don't learn something about 4x4.
I'm the only one in our club with a Patrol and I love telling them all.

Cheers

Stephen

BigMav
6th November 2012, 10:14 PM
Damn there is a few raafies here, soon to be ex army in a couple of months, done 15 years. A couple of trips to Afghanistan and one to east timor. Had a gutful now, time to go. By the way I still haven't met a raafie that can shoot so you blokes must be pretty rare. Just jokes fellas.

Lonicus
7th November 2012, 05:24 AM
We get a bit lazy in the RAAF Mav, we just drop bombs on em. The spread on those are about the same as the last grouping I got at the rifle range and they're a tad more effective :)

PMC
8th November 2012, 11:16 AM
Damn there is a few raafies here, soon to be ex army in a couple of months, done 15 years. A couple of trips to Afghanistan and one to east timor. Had a gutful now, time to go. By the way I still haven't met a raafie that can shoot so you blokes must be pretty rare. Just jokes fellas.

I have to agree with you BigMav!

Congrats on your valuable service mate!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
8th November 2012, 11:18 AM
We get a bit lazy in the RAAF Mav, we just drop bombs on em. The spread on those are about the same as the last grouping I got at the rifle range and they're a tad more effective :)

Good onya Lonicus!

Do you have any photos of any aircraft!

Regards,

RLI

GreenGQ
8th November 2012, 09:27 PM
Ex Navy here, 91-97.
Was on Adelaide (twice), Torrens, Moresby, and shore establishments Stirling and Cerberus.

twisty
9th November 2012, 08:45 AM

bwaa ... hahaha

Yeah, I remember the 7.62 ball point pen. Looks just like a bullet hole in a target! I passed.

Lonicus
9th November 2012, 10:14 AM
Good onya Lonicus!

Do you have any photos of any aircraft!

Regards,

RLI

Sorry mate. Back in those days it was all paper photos.

Had quite a few but a vengeful ex-wife decided the tip needed them, and most of my other mementos I was too slow to grab, more than I did :(

PMC
9th November 2012, 08:31 PM
Sorry mate. Back in those days it was all paper photos.

Had quite a few but a vengeful ex-wife decided the tip needed them, and most of my other mementos I was too slow to grab, more than I did :(

Ouch, they really hurt those ex's,

Regards,

RLI

PMC
9th November 2012, 08:32 PM
Ex Navy here, 91-97.
Was on Adelaide (twice), Torrens, Moresby, and shore establishments Stirling and Cerberus.

G'day mate!

Congrats on your service!

Regards,

RLI

russ81
11th November 2012, 03:27 AM
stand proud today men as we remember those that made the ultimate sacrifice and never got to wear their medals.

Lest We Forget

PMC
13th November 2012, 09:53 PM
stand proud today men as we remember those that made the ultimate sacrifice and never got to wear their medals.

Lest We Forget

Well said Russ!

Regards,

RLI

russ81
14th November 2012, 12:54 AM
A photo of myself and my son Jarrad ( named in loving memory of Jared "Crash" MacKinney KIA 24 Aug 10 Afghanistan) at our local service http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/11/69.jpg

raafy
18th November 2012, 07:27 PM
Jeez reading this a blokes getting all warm and fuzzy... I was lucky enough to get around a fair bit.

2 Aircraft Depot (Yuuuk, enough said)
478 Sqn (Malaysia)
481 Sqn (Newcastle)
486 Sqn (Sydney, two tours)
3 Sqn (Fighters also Malaysia)
36 Sqn (C130's)
TAAMS (Darwin)
Had a few overseas detachments to New Zealand and P.N.G. and a heap of short term stuff around Oz with the C130's to places like Townsville, Brissy, Adelaide, Tassy and some out of the way spots in W.A. and the East States outback when we used the Military a lot more than we do today to do 'National Assistance' tasking for flood and drought relief etc. Fodder drops were a bitch on the aircraft but the locals made sure you couldn't buy a beer at the local pub unless they bought you ten first.

2AD aside I loved almost every minute (sober or otherwise) and would do it all over again in a heartbeat... 'cept I'd drop something on those rrsehole pollies in Canberra who totally screw over the Defence Pensioners. Sorry, didn't mena to wax political but jeez they give me the shytes

You had almost the same postings as I did. As an MTFITT I was lucky not to go to 2AD so I missed out on the factory but they got me to Support Command twice.
481 Sqn Newcastle (twice)
478 Sqn Malaysia
1FTS Point Cook
3CRU Newcastle
HQSCU Melbourne (twice)
1ad Laverton

Stropp
18th November 2012, 07:55 PM
You blokes are lucky first posting 1sd, second base Sqn Tottenham , one side of the fence to the other :( that was it for me!

Wazza_66
18th November 2012, 07:56 PM
G'Day fellas.
Just noticed this thread. Did 22 years in the Army as a Vehicle Mech. Ex apprentice 38th class.

Regards

Wazza

PMC
18th November 2012, 08:02 PM
G'Day fellas.
Just noticed this thread. Did 22 years in the Army as a Vehicle Mech. Ex apprentice 38th class.

Regards

Wazza

Congrats with your service Wazza!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
19th November 2012, 09:50 PM
G'day folks!

Anymore photos out there!

Regards,

RLI

raafy
20th November 2012, 08:08 PM
I don't have many photos as my ex kept most of them.

Taken at Wagga when I was doing my refrigeration course in 1977. I am in the top row on the right.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh104/raafy/Old%20photos/raaf/wagga1977-1.jpg

Rockhamption on Exercise K81

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh104/raafy/Old%20photos/raaf/rockhampton1981-2.jpg

Being presented with my National medal 1990 (for 15 years of "undetected crime")

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh104/raafy/Old%20photos/raaf/laverton1990.jpg

Corks
20th November 2012, 09:42 PM
16 years in the Army 12 as a grunt (5/7 RAR, 8/9 RAR, TSP Duntroon, 25/49RQR) stuffed knees and back made me transfer to RAAOC as a stinging clerk, I then transferred to the RAAF in 1999 and I'm still going coming up to 30 years.

PMC
21st November 2012, 11:40 PM
16 years in the Army 12 as a grunt (5/7 RAR, 8/9 RAR, TSP Duntroon, 25/49RQR) stuffed knees and back made me transfer to RAAOC as a stinging clerk, I then transferred to the RAAF in 1999 and I'm still going coming up to 30 years.

G'evening Corks!

Congrats on your service mate! Good Battalions both 5/7 RAR, 8/9 RAR.

Regards,

RLI

DX grunt
5th December 2012, 09:40 PM
G'evening Men!

Listen in, to all my fellow brothers in arms!

Wishing you and your family a merry Christmas and a safe and prosperous new year!

Regards

Paul (RLI)

X2, to one and all. Have a safe one.

Take care out there.

Rossco

Stropp
5th December 2012, 09:52 PM
Cheers Paul, the same to you and yours and to fellow members.

PMC
6th December 2012, 03:54 PM
G'day men,

Listen in! I thought you might like the following below!

Regards,

RLI

On Geopolitical Generals
December 5, 2012 | 1005 GMT

By Robert D. Kaplan
Chief Geopolitical Analyst

Now everyone knows that CIA Director David Petraeus was unfaithful to his wife and that former top U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan Gen. Stanley McChrystal made improper remarks to a journalist. Therefore, these two Army generals were removed from their jobs -- Petraeus recently and McChrystal two years ago -- and publicly humiliated.

Let me add some perspective regarding the careers of these two men.

In December 2006, just before Petraeus took command of all U.S. forces in Iraq and when McChrystal was in charge of counterterrorism there, Baghdad was sustaining 140 suicide bombs per month, with dozens killed in many attacks. In December 2007, largely because of the efforts of both men, that figure was reduced to five per month. The civilian lives saved as a consequence numbered in the thousands or tens of thousands per year. That's real humanitarianism -- unlike the faux humanitarianism often heard at international meetings.

Now let me add some perspective on three other Army generals, who had clean public records and thus were never humiliated to nearly the same extent by the media: Tommy Franks, Ricardo Sanchez and George Casey. According to Thomas E. Ricks' new book, The Generals: American Military Command from World War II to Today, among other sources, Franks did not plan sufficiently for the post-invasion stabilization of Iraq, Sanchez allowed an insurgency to start and mushroom there and Casey allowed that insurgency to continue without taking creative countermeasures. Franks and Sanchez were arguably guilty of incompetence according to Ricks and others, and Casey was by almost all accounts a mediocrity in over his head as commander in Baghdad. The 140 suicide bombs per month in Baghdad with which Petraeus and McChrystal had to contend were the product of the failed generalships of Franks, Sanchez and Casey.

Petraeus, by contrast, conceived (with help from the Marines) of an alternative kind of war (counterinsurgency), implemented it in the midst of an ongoing conflict and taught his army how to employ it. In the process, he made better use of McChrystal's skills than had previous American commanders. As a consequence, with the arguable exceptions of generals Matthew Ridgway in Korea and Creighton Abrams in Vietnam, Petraeus ranks as perhaps the greatest American Army general since George Marshall and Dwight Eisenhower in World War II.

The result: Petraeus was brought down by what, according to the New York Times, might well have been an invasion of privacy by the FBI, even as McChrystal had his reputation irreparably damaged by an aggressive Rolling Stone reporter.

In other words, we erect gods and we get -- sorry -- human beings. Not only that, we get human beings under severe stress who are, by nature of their chemistry and circumstances, imperfect.

Let's examine the stress that Petraeus and McChrystal were under in the course of their careers. Whereas the Greatest Generation was on the whole deployed in a war theater for less than three years, Petraeus and McChrystal were deployed longer in a cumulative sense: almost half a decade when you include visits to the region, in addition to their deployments. Moreover, because they were deployed in Muslim countries, they had no access to even an occasional glass of beer on base. Eisenhower spent the war in London allegedly with a mistress -- his chauffeur and secretary, Kay Summersby. That was not frowned upon.

What should concern us regarding Petraeus was the possibility of a security breach; his private life should be, well, private -- the Army code of conduct notwithstanding. What should have outraged us about the McChrystal affair was the very fact of the removal of a brilliant commander because he had dropped his guard with a reporter from a left-wing journal.

Here's when you should ask, What would Abraham Lincoln have done? When told that Gen. Ulysses S. Grant drank alcohol to excess, Lincoln remarked: "Find out what Grant drinks and send a barrel of it to my other generals." Lincoln was not interested in personal foibles in this case; he was only interested in winning a war. Our leaders and public should be, too. Gen. George McClellan was disloyal to Lincoln, but Lincoln might have forgiven McClellan even that if the general could have fought better than he did.

History is replete with the imperfections of great and extremely competent men. Richard Nixon made derogatory remarks about blacks and Jews; he was also a brilliant strategist who reopened America's relations with communist China, leveraged that relationship to counter the Soviet Union and re-established relations with Egypt and Syria after saving Israel with arms deliveries during the Yom Kippur War. Jimmy Carter, by contrast, was a morally perfect man. He was also the president under whose watch Nicaragua and Ethiopia were substantially lost to the West -- with eventual catastrophic consequences for human rights in the case of Ethiopia. Also under Carter's watch the Soviets invaded Afghanistan, and a U. S. military operation in Iran went down in failure. The late Richard Holbrooke could be on a personal level extremely unpleasant, as I myself experienced close-up. He was also a brilliant diplomat who ended a war in the Balkans.

The issue here is not personalities. It is power. In a world of power and geopolitics, the best practitioners -- whether a Petraeus or a McChrystal or a Nixon or a Holbrooke -- are men who can get things done. Men who can get things done have the ability to take over a room, to force all the attention on themselves, give orders and have them actually carried out. And the orders they give are creative, morally based and well thought-through.

My purpose here is not to justify what Petraeus and McChrystal did. I am only saying that if the United States is to perform credibly as a great power it does not have the luxury to be ruled by the sensationalist standards of the media, in which incidents involving personal shortcomings are turned into soap operas. In such cases, assuming the person is not a serial offender in a way that impairs his professional competence, the country must forgive in order to allow its most able agents of authority to get on with the job.

Geopolitics -- the battle of space and power -- focuses on impersonal forces like geography, demography, economics and technology. But the actors in all cases are individuals. Individuals do matter. The Iraq War may well have been a mistake, but it was a mistake made worse by bad generalship and made better later on by good generalship -- that of Petraeus and McChrystal.

Be careful about demanding moral perfection from our leaders, civilian and military. In our personal lives we may be governed by a private morality in which someone like Petraeus can be found wanting. But in the public life of a nation, leaders must be judged by what they accomplish on behalf of the citizenry as a whole: that is, what they accomplish for the greater good. Geopolitics is a world governed by a morality of public results rather than a morality of private intentions. For if it is moral perfection that you want, you'll often get mediocrity and occasional incompetence as a result.

PMC
15th December 2012, 11:58 AM
EDITORIAL:

Defence Minister declares war on the services

by Peter Westmore

News Weekly, December 8, 2012
At a time when Australia’s defence forces are being stretched to breaking point by savage budget cuts, the increased problems of border security, delays to vital defence acquisitions and the growth of military forces in other parts of our region, the Defence Minister Stephen Smith has again taken the axe to his own department.

Mr Smith has foreshadowed that the cost of a tribunal into sexual, physical and mental abuse in the defence forces, and a compensation scheme for victims going back decades, would be met out of the existing defence budget.

For loyal, hard-working defence personnel who are willing to put their lives on the line for their country, to be told that these costs would be met from the existing defence budget is both unfair and utterly demoralising.

To be told, “If any organisation sees on its watch inappropriate or bad conduct, in the end there is a price to pay”, was positively insulting.

This is just the latest episode in Mr Smith’s counter-productive attempt to change defence culture by penalising the innocent.

It was only a few months ago that the secretary of the Defence Department, Duncan Lewis, a former senior army officer, resigned from his post after just a year in the job, without any plausible explanation.

But the deputy leader of the Opposition, Julie Bishop, said the departure of Mr Lewis was another blow to defence force morale and described suggestions he resigned over budget cuts as “deeply concerning”. “This … minister is at war with the defence department,” she said.

Earlier, Mr Smith had fumbled the misconduct by junior cadets at the Australian Defence Force Academy by effectively sacking its head, Commandant Bruce Kafer. When an independent inquiry found that Kafer had behaved properly, Smith could not bring himself to admit to his mistake, nor to apologise to Kafer on his reinstatement.

Earlier still, Mr Smith, in a petty display of petulance towards the leadership of the defence forces, delayed inordinately the appointments of new Chief of the Defence Force General David Hurley and the service chiefs.

What really exercises the minister’s imagination is his determination to “reform” defence culture, by which he means opening up combat roles to women and accelerating the promotion of women to senior positions in the defence forces.

An inevitable consequence of these policies, particularly on naval vessels where women are now deployed, has been the growth of a vile culture of sexual exploitation of women.

There is a need for a continued effort by both civilians and the military to counter a culture of brutality in the defence forces, where people are being trained to kill.

But it requires a constant effort to cultivate a culture of courage and respect for one’s mates, with the co-operation of the defence chiefs, not the imposition of the feminist agenda on the defence forces — as Mr Smith has done.

It is no secret that, after the fall of Kevin Rudd as prime minister, Stephen Smith would have much preferred to continue as foreign minister, or even serve as attorney-general, rather than become defence minister. His appointment as defence minister in 2010 followed the coup against Mr Rudd, and Julia Gillard’s need to appoint Mr Rudd as foreign minister.

The position of attorney-general went to a colleague of Gillard’s, Nicola Roxon.

Defence inevitably suffered. The 2009 Defence White Paper called for 12 long-range submarines, 100 Joint Strike Fighters, three air warfare destroyers, two big amphibious ships and a slightly bigger, better-equipped army.

It envisaged that Australia needed to protect its own sea-lanes and deploy its forces in conditions similar to those in Afghanistan and East Timor, or in local conflict situations where the great powers might not become involved.

All this has now been effectively mothballed if not abandoned as a result of the government’s budget cuts and its determination to produce a budget surplus in May next year.

Having previously shown little if any interest in defence issues, Smith set about implementing the ALP’s agenda of cutting defence spending and imposing the ALP’s social agenda on the defence forces, to the applause of the left — particularly in the media — and with the approval of the Prime Minister.

It may well be that Stephen Smith’s actions as defence minister have served well his ambitions; but their effects have been extremely damaging to the armed forces. He has spread demoralisation among people who are seriously committed to the defence of Australia, and caused a collapse in support for the civilian leadership of the defence force.

While Julia Gillard remains Prime Minister and Mr Smith is defence minister, these issues will remain unresolved. Only a new government can deal with these issues.

Regards,

RLI

93patrol
16th December 2012, 12:46 AM
my granddad served in ww2 and help in the clean up of hiroshima i will get a hold of a few photos he took over there and post a few up.. my dad was also in the army as an engineer forget which regiment but he funnily enough helped in the cleanup of darwin after cyclone tracy. i applied to join as an apprentice mechanic but failed the maths tests at the time.

massive amount of respect for any man/woman who fights for their country and more than happy to shout them a beer at the pub

cheers Lads

PMC
21st December 2012, 11:52 PM
my granddad served in ww2 and help in the clean up of hiroshima i will get a hold of a few photos he took over there and post a few up.. my dad was also in the army as an engineer forget which regiment but he funnily enough helped in the cleanup of darwin after cyclone tracy. i applied to join as an apprentice mechanic but failed the maths tests at the time.

massive amount of respect for any man/woman who fights for their country and more than happy to shout them a beer at the pub

cheers Lads

G'evening 93 Patrol,

Mate, you have some family history there! Good onya mate!

Regards,

RLI

Timmo
22nd December 2012, 12:25 AM
getting ready for ANZAC day 2012 Perth.

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae191/timmofff/125.jpg

oncedisturbed
22nd December 2012, 12:32 AM
Admittedly not ADF per se but getting ready to put on the camo skins again. Going in as a cadet instructor

Tap, Tap Taparoo

PMC
22nd December 2012, 09:26 AM
getting ready for ANZAC day 2012 Perth.

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae191/timmofff/125.jpg

G'day Timmo,

Congrats on your magnificent service mate!

Wishing both you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Safe and Prosperous New Year!

Regards,

RLI

threedogs
22nd December 2012, 11:11 AM
As I mentioned Dad served WW11 up at Darwin with the 13/30 sqadron which shared personel, He was a radio operator during the Bombing of Darwin, at the 40 mile airstrip Sth of Darwin
Extremely proud of him born 1919 passed 2003. Just wish I could get his service medals for my boys 26/21," we will remember them"
Shite I miss him and mum, especially this time of year

Coldcomfort
22nd December 2012, 11:29 AM
I would have thought that any compensation that has to be paid to any assault victims should be paid out of the guilty persons super annuation and entitlements... Then, and only then topped up by the Guv (which is you and me).

If these assaults are happening, and I am sure that they are, they must be stopped....... And the perpetrators punished....

Lonicus
22nd December 2012, 02:05 PM
As I mentioned Dad served WW11 up at Darwin with the 13/30 sqadron which shared personel, He was a radio operator during the Bombing of Darwin, at the 40 mile airstrip Sth of Darwin
Extremely proud of him born 1919 passed 2003. Just wish I could get his service medals for my boys 26/21," we will remember them"
Shite I miss him and mum, especially this time of year

Not sure if you're aware of this book (http://www.gould.com.au/Darwin-Bombed-An-A-A-Gunner-s-Reflections-p/avm003.htm) mate, it was written by my wife's uncle, Jack Mulholland, who sadly passed away this year.

There's also an interview (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-18/brave-bombing-of-darwin-defender-dies/4207552) recorded by the ABC in February this year of Jack and a Japanese fighter pilot of the time.

We have a spare copy of his book that I'd be happy to send to you if you have trouble getting a copy. However it's packed away in one of 50 some boxes we have already packed ready for our move next year so you'd have to wait for a bit :)

MC97GQ
22nd December 2012, 05:51 PM
Hey Guys,

Not a service man myself, but had two great uncles(twin boys) who spent their 16th birthday on the Gallipoli peninsula, and appreciate every day, what they stood for.

If you are interested in a great read, look for a copy of They Dared Mightily(Lionel Wigmore) - it's a history of V.C.s awarded over the years(with how they were awarded), inspiring stuff and bloody scary as I sit back and think where I was as a teen and what these blokes did a million miles from home and just kids.

Merry Christmas and a Happy and Safe New Year to all our past and current serving MEN and WOMEN.

Mark

Timmo
22nd December 2012, 07:42 PM
G'day Timmo,

Congrats on your magnificent service mate!

Wishing both you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Safe and Prosperous New Year!

Regards,

RLI

Cheers buddy merry xmas to you too...................

MEGOMONSTER
24th December 2012, 12:50 AM
To all the service men and women, here and overseas, have a merry Xmas and safe new year.

PMC
24th December 2012, 08:48 PM
Listen in!

G'evening Lounge Lizards!

Wishing all Services a Merry Christmas and a Safe and Prosperous New Year. Especially all troops serving overseas this Christmas!

Regards,

RLI and family

growler2058
24th December 2012, 10:18 PM
Thanks for what you've all done and are doing so we CAN enjoy chrissie!!

Merry Tapped Out Xmas

Stropp
24th December 2012, 11:09 PM
May they all have a safe and merry Xmas.

93patrol
25th December 2012, 12:59 AM
well done lad and ladies we will be hoisting a few for you Merry Christmas

Timmo
20th January 2013, 12:03 AM
Darwin, back to work Monday, not doing much Sub1 WO in Febuary then Sub2 in may hope to be made up at end of year.

PMC
21st January 2013, 10:10 AM
Darwin, back to work Monday, not doing much Sub1 WO in Febuary then Sub2 in may hope to be made up at end of year.

G'day Timmo,

All the best with your Sub 1&2 for courses! WO!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
21st January 2013, 10:16 AM
G'day Lounge lizards!

I have cut & pasted this from Russ81 thread titled "Assistance needed" I thought this was relevant to this thread!

PS, if you can, can you please help with this great cause! Read the following below!

Regards,

RLI

"Assistance needed!

With less than a week to go, I thought it a fitting time to remind everyone about the event on Australia Day.

We are raising money and awareness for the families of Australian soldiers killed in Afghanistan.

Registration ($10 per person over 16) opens at 7am near movies by burswood, Charles Paterson Park. At 7.45 we will head off around the river collecting donations and conclude with a BBQ at GO Edwards park.

Currently we have raised over $500 and have between 50-100 people participating on the day, please come down and get involved or help out by donating at http://www.everydayhero.com.au/stomp_perth

Hope to see you there

Russ"

oncedisturbed
22nd January 2013, 02:20 AM
good luck on sub courses Timmo, Old man was a WO1 on discharge, pretty full on courses.

sent the application off today to put the green skins back on as a cadet instructor, will see what happens from here

PMC
28th February 2013, 12:12 PM
G'day folks,

I found this article in the Sydney Morning Herald today!

Free speech appeal fails over critical letters to Diggers

A SELF-STYLED Muslim imam accused of sending offensive letters to the families of dead Diggers has had his appeal against the charge dismissed.

Man Haron Monis, also known as Sheikh Haron, and his co-appellant, Amirah Droudis, are accused of sending letters to the widows and family members of several soldiers, referring to the dead men in what one judge described as ''a denigrating and derogatory fashion''.

Their pre-trial application was for the dismissal of the charge that it was a crime to use a postal or similar service in a way that reasonable people would regard as offensive.

The men's lawyers had argued that the material was ''purely political'' in nature, and were protected as political speech.

The High Court decision, published on Wednesday morning, said the co-accused had allegedly sent letters (and in one case a recorded message) to the relatives of Australian soldiers killed in action in Afghanistan and to the mother of an Austrade official killed in Indonesia.

''The communications criticised Australia's military involvement in Afghanistan. They opened with expressions of sympathy for the grieving relatives but then proceeded to criticise and condemn the deceased person,'' the decision read.

The High Court was divided 50-50 on whether the constitution prohibits the postal service being used to deliver ''seriously offensive material''.

Under the Judiciary Act, when the High Court is equally divided, the decision that is being appealed is upheld.

The High Court was told in October the letters, which were also sent to various politicians including the Prime Minister and Opposition Leader, contained ''expressions of sympathy'' for the soldiers' families.

But they also included passages such as: ''The Australian government represents the Australian nation. The Australian nation has approved the oppressive behaviour of its own government. How? By its silence. Insane people and children are exceptions.''

The High Court Judge Dyson Heydon questioned whether passages expressing sympathy could add to the offensiveness of the letters.

''You cannot offer condolences for the loss of someone's son and speak of the dirty body of a pig or say that Hitler was not inferior to them in moral merit,'' he said.

The barrister David Bennett, who appeared for Mr Droudis, told the court in October the letters were ''purely political'' and should therefore be protected as free speech.

''It is putting an extreme view,'' Mr Bennett said. ''It is putting what is no doubt very much a minority view, but it is purely political and it requires considerable imagination to see how that can be regarded as offensive in any way. That, of course, does not matter. If it is offensive it is offensive because the views are offensive, which is exactly what the freedom is designed to protect.''

The Chief Justice, Robert French, in October suggested the letters could be offensive because of their context and the fact they were addressed to military families. But Mr Bennett said wounding a person's feelings should not invoke a criminal offence.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Folks, i did not join the Army and serve my country with pride and honor to have this type of farken scum-bag be allowed to live in this great country of ours! The act that this sheet wearing, goat stroking fagot has committed is absolutely disgraceful, disrespectful and total un-Australian. Send the farker back to the turd-hole country of origin that this squeezer came from.

PS, and send the bill to the farken dick-brain politician and bureaucrats responsible for allowing this tow-rag scrote into our great country in the first place.

Regards,

RLI

Lonicus
28th February 2013, 01:17 PM
Yeah mate, they are quite happy to live here, enjoying the freedom and lifestyle that our troops continue fight, and die, for and at the same time carry on like that.

They are the worst type of cowards and deserve nothing but a ticket back to whatever poxy bloody hole they crawled out of.

Bloodyaussie
28th February 2013, 02:34 PM
It upsets me so much and I can't put my disgust into words right now......

I am sick of it!!!!!!!

Parksy
28th February 2013, 02:54 PM
Crooks. The lawyers who have deemed it free speech are also crooks. Absolutely appalling.

I'm a sailor btw. Fix Seahawk helicopters.

93patrol
28th February 2013, 07:39 PM
Totally agree lonicus these clowns come here and whinge while our boys are back in THIER homeland fighting for THIER better living conditions and then cry that they don't want to go home when all said and done

Just tap it in just tappy tappy tappy

growler2058
28th February 2013, 07:51 PM
It upsets me so much and I can't put my disgust into words right now......

I am sick of it!!!!!!!

X2........

NP99
2nd March 2013, 01:19 AM
Totally agree lonicus these clowns come here and whinge while our boys are back in THIER homeland fighting for THIER better living conditions and then cry that they don't want to go home when all said and done

Just tap it in just tappy tappy tappy

How true........
Deport the bastards

NP99
4th March 2013, 09:53 PM
The do gooders are ruining our country!

Maxhead
4th March 2013, 09:59 PM
I was SHOCKED when I heard on the news today the Australian Defense Force members were marching in the Sydney Mardi Gra!!!!!!!!

What the FCUK is this country coming to??

I am still stunned and wonder WTF is going on?????????

NP99
4th March 2013, 10:22 PM
I was SHOCKED when I heard on the news today the Australian Defense Force members were marching in the Sydney Mardi Gra!!!!!!!!

What the FCUK is this country coming to??

I am still stunned and wonder WTF is going on?????????

As was the majority of the ADF....

PMC
18th March 2013, 08:42 PM
At least 15 ex-servicemen have committed suicide since Christmas in the terrible hidden toll of war

Ruth Lamperd, Patrick Carlyon
Sunday Herald Sun
March 16, 2013

A GOLD Card for a troubled soldier to cover the cost of his medical expenses for life was issued the day after he committed suicide last year. The Digger had returned from a deployment where he suffered post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) as well as physical injuries. His widow declined a request for an interview with the Herald Sun, and asked that the Digger's name not be published. But it has been claimed his ongoing battle with the Department of Veterans' Affairs to be upgraded from a White Card - which offers only a limited form of medical cover - compounded his PTSD.

The revelation emerged as a Herald Sun investigation found the veterans community in Brisbane is reeling from 11 suicides since Christmas, including former soldiers returned from Somalia, Rwanda, Timor, Iraq and Afghanistan. They take them away, they break them, then they give them back to us.

Two ex-servicemen from Victoria, one from Sydney and one from Western Australia are also known to have taken their lives since the start of the year. Veterans' advocates say the tragic tally is a fraction of a hidden blight unrecorded by authorities and highlights serious inadequacies in the DVA's bureaucratic claims process, which often stretches veterans' battles for compensation out to two years.

The DVA keeps no figures on suicides of past servicemen and women. It told the Herald Sun that it "aims to deal with all claims as efficiently as possible to ensure minimal impact on the individual".
Do we do enough to look after our war veterans? Vote now and have your say

But another widow who lost her ex-Digger husband to suicide said resources to support ex-soldiers were insufficient. Once soldiers such as her husband left the defence force, they became lost souls, she said.
"They take them away, they break them, then they give them back to us," the widow said.

The Herald Sun is aware of one compensation case, still unresolved after six years, of a veteran paratrooper of 24 years with PTSD; in another case it took four years to reach resolution in the favour of an ex-soldier. The concerning state of veterans' post-war battles comes as it also can be revealed: DOCTORS who treat ex-soldiers for mental illness report only 10 per cent of their patients have a smooth experience through the DVA compensation process. VETERAN support groups are bolstering advocate numbers to handle what they believe will be a deluge of claims for compensation, as veterans of recent conflicts such as Afghanistan and Iraq start to emerge with chronic mental illnesses. BETWEEN 10-20 per cent of claims for PTSD are turned down initially, but advocates claim 95 per cent of those are approved after appeal to the Veterans Review Board, tribunals and courts.

A VICTORIAN soldier monitoring real-time video from drones on a high-definition screen at a control room in Afghanistan saw two of his mates killed in action, but the DVA refused PTSD status on a technicality - a decision later overturned on appeal. Australian Peacekeeper and Peacemaker Veterans Association advocate Michael Quinn said veterans' psychological illnesses often worsened when they were rejected for valid claims. "On the other side, with a pension or a Gold Card, they often become extremely reclusive and the downhill run is pretty much already started because of what the DVA have put them through," Mr Quinn said. He said the number of cases going to the Veterans Review Board had increased due to budget cutbacks and hasty decisions at the first point of call in the DVA. "Soldiers who come from a high-discipline, high-performing job like service in conflict find it hard to line up with people at Centrelink for money. It's demoralising for them."

Queensland psychiatrist Dr Andrew Khoo treats veterans almost daily. He said the process for making a PTSD claim could be a bureaucratic maze that had become more complicated in the past decade. "Rather than the onus being on DVA to find out if people are not telling the truth, it seems that like the onus is on the guys to prove that they are not lying," Dr Khoo said. "This is the opposite to how it should be."

Brisbane-based military compensation lawyer Brian Briggs, of Slater & Gordon, represents dozens of Diggers with disputed PTSD claims. "The DVA is under-resourced and I'm seeing a blowout in the time for claims to be accepted," Mr Briggs said. Delays had a direct bearing on the treatment options and mental wellbeing of clients left in limbo. Another psychiatrist, who asked not to be named, said servicemen and women caught in limbo waiting to be discharged from the military could turn to drugs and alcohol to fill a void that often ran to a year or more. "The military has not provided a system to know what to do with them in that time," he says.

This view is supported by Angela Smith, widow of Darren Smith, who was killed in an IED blast in June 2010. A friend of many troubled Afghanistan veterans, she said the military had a "responsibility to tackle PTSD head on" - in individual cases - "instead of letting it come to them when it gets to breaking point". The issue isn't going to go away. Dr Khoo said almost 70,000 troops had been deployed since Timor. "I wonder if DVA is going to be prepared for what's coming," he said.

The Australian Defence Force pointed to its suicide prevention and mental health screening programs designed to help curb suicide rates of its forces.

Regards

RLI

NP99
18th March 2013, 09:44 PM
Dealing with DVA is the worst process a member can go through, it's like talking to house plants. 90% of them are idiots. The advocates on this board will understand.

PMC
18th March 2013, 10:01 PM
G'evening NP99,

I am constantly breaking my balls and eating humble pie trying to deal with DVA regarding my clients claims! It is so frustrating at times and i do all this work voluntary. I use my own fuel and stationary just to get cases filed.

Regards,

RLI

NP99
18th March 2013, 10:08 PM
G'evening NP99,

I am constantly breaking my balls and eating humble pie trying to deal with DVA regarding my clients claims! It is so frustrating at times and i do all this work voluntary. I use my own fuel and stationary just to get cases filed.

Regards,

RLI

G'day Mate,
And I thought it was just the Brisbane office that dicked us around. Sometimes I think the process is designed to make you give up! I'd hate to think what it's like for the older vets that aren't tech savy. Keep up the good fight mate.

PMC
20th March 2013, 08:45 PM
G'day Mate,
And I thought it was just the Brisbane office that dicked us around. Sometimes I think the process is designed to make you give up! I'd hate to think what it's like for the older vets that aren't tech savy. Keep up the good fight mate.

G'evening NP99,

Thanks mate!

Regards,

RLI

DX grunt
20th March 2013, 10:58 PM
Thanks RLI.

Sad. Very Sad. That equates to more than one a week. Sad, very sad.

RIP.

Rossco

Stropp
20th March 2013, 11:01 PM
Yeh my niece has just got out of vet hospital after six weeks for PTSD, at least they are onto it.

NP99
21st March 2013, 10:12 PM
A lot of the time it can take 20 years for symptoms to surface. My son in law had 31 direct contacts with the Taliban. He is ok until he has a beer and then let's it all out. Lets not forget the other guys doing it tough too. Cops, Ambos and Fireys, they see and deal with a lot of abuse and carnage!

PMC
22nd March 2013, 01:33 PM
Please find attached a media release from the Shadow Minister for Veterans’ Affairs, Senator the Hon. Michael Ronaldson, regarding Labor’s failure to open Round 15 funding applications under the Building Excellence in Support and Training (BEST) programme for 2013-14.

Regards,

RLI

Labor leaves veterans advocates out in the cold

The Gillard Labor Government is dragging its feet on funding guidelines to support veterans’ advocacy in the community under the Building Excellence in Support and Training (BEST) programme.

After slashing $4 million from the programme in 2011, this latest breach of goodwill with the veteran community will place a system already under significant strain even closer to breaking point.

Shadow Minister for Veterans’ Affairs, Senator the Hon. Michael Ronaldson, said Labor’s decision to slash funding two years ago was having a dramatic impact on the delivery of advocacy and independent advice to veterans wishing to make claims with the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

“The Gillard Labor Government is trashing the very programmes which are meant to provide support to our veterans and their families in their time of need”, Senator Ronaldson said.

“Applications for BEST funding are usually called for by the end of February each year, with grants normally payable from 1 July. But two-thirds of the way through March and applications for Round 15 funding have not yet opened, nor have the new funding guidelines been released.”

“This is apparently due to the inaction and indecision of the Minister for Veterans’ Affairs, Warren Snowdon, who is again considering changing the guidelines, making the third major change to BEST funding in just three years.’ “Labor simply cannot be trusted with funding for veterans’ advocacy services. After cutting funding without warning or explanation and repeatedly changing the funding goalposts, the volunteer veteran advocacy network is at breaking point and needs assistance not hindrance if it is to survive.”

“Our largely volunteer veteran advocacy network is a bedrock element of our repatriation system. They provide independent advice and assistance with the preparation of claims paperwork and assist a veteran and their family navigate the complex web of entitlements available under the repatriation system.”

“Our system could not operate without our volunteer advocates and Labor’s decision to delay calling for funding applications for the next financial year is causing many advocates to consider whether they can continue to undertake this work for the future.”

“I call on Warren Snowdon to immediately release the new BEST funding guidelines and give our volunteers the support they need. Labor’s indecision over advocacy funding for our veterans and their families must end.”

NP99
23rd March 2013, 11:55 PM
Heard this on the radio today, it's been a while
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cAwvH8FbdjM
Those words apply equally to our guys today

PMC
10th April 2013, 12:40 PM
It cost the Federal Gov. $500,000 to find out how to best celebrate 100 years of the Gallipoli landing and guess what the dick-brains came up with................ that we would upset some people in the community by celebrating Anzac Day!!!

(A Federal government focus group and research paper listed multiculturalism as a “risk” in the commemorations.
The report said commemorations should be culturally sensitive and inclusive, in the lead-up to the 100th anniversary of the landing at Gallipoli.
References to current conflicts involving Australian personnel should also be avoided as they have become unpopular with young people, according to the report.)

My God, we have Japanese and Germans march on Anzac Day, a day to commemorate their mates who did not return. Now are you ready for this?..... The Federal Gov. is now going to throw another $100,000 to someone to find out WHY it was suggested we tone down Anzac Day. What a bunch of useless bastards we have governing our country

What the Hell is this bullshit about 'toning down' ANZAC day because it may offend immigrants in Australia?

This is Australia because all our forefathers fought for us..

This is one special day that 'we' proud Aussie's Pay our respects to the many heroes lost fighting for our freedom and OUR! Country!

So who cares if some DAMN ILLEGAL immigrant that's funded by OUR taxes gets offended because of tribute we rightfully pay to OUR ANZACs!

Regards,

RLI

Lonicus
10th April 2013, 01:51 PM
Thankfully the Government has rejected the findings and recommendations of the paper. Still a bloody huge waste of money. Makes you wonder who did the research, and what the focus group consisted of.

NP99
10th April 2013, 03:18 PM
That's F'ked.........I'm glad my 36 years is coming to an end.

growler2058
10th April 2013, 04:48 PM
F@rk em! I've reserved comments in this thread because I get a bit passionate! But fair dinkum the poxy c---- that even suggested ANZAC day should e toned down should be sent to a far away shore to see the difference our diggers have made. Go and live in f@rken Afghanistan, Iraq and see what it's like. That's what you'll get here if we tone it down, f@rkin morons. I've got no dramas with multiculturalism. I've got a Sudanese mate who came here after 15 years in a refugee camp. Some of the atrocities he's witnessed are unspeakable. He loves Australia attends Anzac Day dawn services. He appreciates what we and now he have. But for the ones who expect us to change not have Xmas or any other of our traditional celebrations can just F@RK off back to where they come from
Sorry rant over!!

Lonicus
10th April 2013, 05:18 PM
Totally agree with you there Growler. Hearing about this crap, and all the other touchy, feely crap that people go on with, gets me too angry for words at times. One assumes people come here because where they came from was sh!te, so why then try and change Australia to be more like the poxy bloody sh!thole they came from?

NP99
10th April 2013, 05:32 PM
If only the truth from the Cronulla riots was out!!!

PMC
17th April 2013, 08:53 PM
Senator the Hon. Michael Ronaldson
Shadow Minister for Veterans’ Affairs
Shadow Minister Assisting the Leader of the Opposition on the Centenary of ANZAC
Liberal Senator for Victoria

M E D I A R E L E A S E

Wednesday, 17 April 2013

MEDIA CONTACT: Robert Hardie 0418 432 909

Australian War Memorial honours our fallen

The Australian War Memorial will today begin a new tradition to honour Australia’s 102,000 war dead during the daily closing ceremony. Shadow Minister for Veterans’ Affairs, Senator the Hon. Michael Ronaldson, will attend this evening’s solemn closing ceremony which will pay tribute to a fallen serviceperson whose name appear on the Roll of Honour.

“The Australian War Memorial is Australia’s home of commemoration, reflection and remembrance from the 102,000 Australians who have made the ultimate sacrifice during their service in the Australian Defence Force”, Senator Ronaldson said.

“The Memorial’s decision to revamp the closing ceremony and to tell the story of those whose names appear in bronze in the Memorial’s cloisters will give true meaning to words on the Memorial’s Stone of Remembrance that ‘their name liveth for evermore’.”

“The daily closing ceremony is a truly moving tribute to the memory of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice. The Memorial’s decision to make this an educational and interactive experience will give all Australians a further opportunity to reflect, remember and commemorate our nation’s proud history of service and sacrifice.”

Senator Ronaldson said families would be able to plan their visits to the Australian War Memorial to hear a tribute read to a family member, or watch it interactively through the Memorial’s website.

“I welcome this new and interactive tribute to the memory of Australia’s fallen soldiers, sailors and airmen and women. I look forward to being at the Memorial tonight when this new tradition begins and to honour the memory of an Australian whose sacrifice was in defence of our nation’s timeless values.”

Regards,

RLI

PMC
17th April 2013, 09:03 PM
Shadow Minister Assisting the Leader of the Opposition on the Centenary of ANZAC

M E D I A R E L E A S E

Wednesday, 17 April 2013

Details needed on Labor’s proposed Anzac Centenary Fund

Labor’s minister responsible for the Centenary of Anzac needs to come clean about the proposed ‘Anzac Centenary Fund’ which he claims will fund a multi-million dollar redevelopment of Melbourne’s Shrine of Remembrance.

Shadow Minister Assisting the Leader of the Opposition on the Centenary of Anzac, Senator the Hon. Michael Ronaldson, said Labor has committed money to a project from a fund which, as of 10 days ago when the Coalition was briefed on the Report of the Anzac Centenary Advisory Board, had not yet been formally established and which held no funds.

“Warren Snowdon must come clean on his Government’s plans to fund the Centenary of Anzac. The Minister needs to immediately indicate what other projects he plans funding from the ‘Anzac Centenary Fund’ which at this stage has no funds”, Senator Ronaldson said.

“Instead of showing leadership, Minister Snowdon has used a faceless spokesperson to confirm the existence of a phantom ‘Anzac Centenary Fund’ which the Government seems to think will pay for projects associated with the Centenary of Anzac.”

“Labor is making funding commitments from a Fund which doesn’t exist and which, similarly, contains no money. It’s like the mining tax all over again.” “Labor has completely mismanaged the Centenary of Anzac. The revelation that money is being spent from a phantom Fund which contains no money is just another example of Labor’s failing leadership, indecision and incompetence in relation to the Centenary of Anzac.”

Senator Ronaldson said it was about time Labor started governing and set out exactly what they proposed for the commemoration of the Centenary of Anzac.
“If the Government accepts the recommendation of Angus Houston’s report to establish this so-called ‘Anzac Centenary Fund’ then Labor must announce how it proposes such a fund would be governed.”

“Labor should also announce the budget for this proposed Fund and release in full the projects it plans to financially support from the Fund.” “The Coalition will not allow the Gillard Labor Government to use this phantom ‘Anzac Centenary Fund’ for political purposes. The Fund, if it is to be established, must have clear guidelines and be completely free of any overt or covert appearance of a political slush fund. Any such appearance will potentially damage the Fund before it commences and will make the corporate sector reluctant to contribute.”

“The community’s patience with Labor’s indecision and lack of leadership on the Centenary of Anzac is wearing thin. It’s time Labor stopped prevaricating and started leading for this all-too-important period of national commemoration.”

Regards,

RLI

NP99
17th April 2013, 09:36 PM
Snowdon is a joke. Not long now.......roll on August! These clowns and the Greens are so anti army, it's disgraceful.

MC97GQ
18th April 2013, 12:17 AM

M E D I A R E L E A S E

Wednesday, 17 April 2013

Details needed on Labor’s proposed Anzac Centenary Fund

Labor’s minister responsible for the Centenary of Anzac needs to come clean about the proposed ‘Anzac Centenary Fund’ which he claims will fund a multi-million dollar redevelopment of Melbourne’s Shrine of Remembrance.

Shadow Minister Assisting the Leader of the Opposition on the Centenary of Anzac, Senator the Hon. Michael Ronaldson, said Labor has committed money to a project from a fund which, as of 10 days ago when the Coalition was briefed on the Report of the Anzac Centenary Advisory Board, had not yet been formally established and which held no funds.

“Warren Snowdon must come clean on his Government’s plans to fund the Centenary of Anzac. The Minister needs to immediately indicate what other projects he plans funding from the ‘Anzac Centenary Fund’ which at this stage has no funds”, Senator Ronaldson said.

“Instead of showing leadership, Minister Snowdon has used a faceless spokesperson to confirm the existence of a phantom ‘Anzac Centenary Fund’ which the Government seems to think will pay for projects associated with the Centenary of Anzac.”

“Labor is making funding commitments from a Fund which doesn’t exist and which, similarly, contains no money. It’s like the mining tax all over again.” “Labor has completely mismanaged the Centenary of Anzac. The revelation that money is being spent from a phantom Fund which contains no money is just another example of Labor’s failing leadership, indecision and incompetence in relation to the Centenary of Anzac.”

Senator Ronaldson said it was about time Labor started governing and set out exactly what they proposed for the commemoration of the Centenary of Anzac.
“If the Government accepts the recommendation of Angus Houston’s report to establish this so-called ‘Anzac Centenary Fund’ then Labor must announce how it proposes such a fund would be governed.”

“Labor should also announce the budget for this proposed Fund and release in full the projects it plans to financially support from the Fund.” “The Coalition will not allow the Gillard Labor Government to use this phantom ‘Anzac Centenary Fund’ for political purposes. The Fund, if it is to be established, must have clear guidelines and be completely free of any overt or covert appearance of a political slush fund. Any such appearance will potentially damage the Fund before it commences and will make the corporate sector reluctant to contribute.”

“The community’s patience with Labor’s indecision and lack of leadership on the Centenary of Anzac is wearing thin. It’s time Labor stopped prevaricating and started leading for this all-too-important period of national commemoration.”

Regards,

RLI

The silly thing about this is the countries that we were at war with in the last century have more respect for our fallen than we do,

Schools DO NOT teach about the ANZACS or other veterans in their new politically correct curriculum,

I am so sick of this sanitised world we live in, ANZAC day is so much more than just a public holiday, in this country we lost some of the best of our gene pool, whole generations of some of the toughest men you could ever imagine.

This day is such an important thing and should be treated sacredly with no expense spared.

My thoughts and beliefs

Mark

LEST WE FORGET

MC97GQ
18th April 2013, 12:31 AM
Snowdon is a joke. Not long now.......roll on August! These clowns and the Greens are so anti army, it's disgraceful.

NP99,

They are only Anti-Australian Army

They are quite happy to fund the Indonesian Army, and part of the school curriculum is to learn the Indonesian language

Now I dont have a problem with the Indonesians as such, but I think our attentions would be far better directed elsewhere.

Mark

NP99
18th April 2013, 06:49 AM
Don't get me started on indexing military pensions, indexed against CPI. Another let down from them.

Gu with stacks
18th April 2013, 11:19 AM
airforce since 2009 since i was 16.5years old so still gotta get sone time up

PMC
18th April 2013, 12:49 PM
The silly thing about this is the countries that we were at war with in the last century have more respect for our fallen than we do,

Schools DO NOT teach about the ANZACS or other veterans in their new politically correct curriculum,

I am so sick of this sanitised world we live in, ANZAC day is so much more than just a public holiday, in this country we lost some of the best of our gene pool, whole generations of some of the toughest men you could ever imagine.

This day is such an important thing and should be treated sacredly with no expense spared.

My thoughts and beliefs

Mark

LEST WE FORGET

G'day Mark,

Well said mate!

Regards,

RLI

NP99
18th April 2013, 09:23 PM
There has also been some low level mumbling that ANZAC day is offensive to some, no need to mention who the some are! Same ones that find Easter and Santa offensive.......

jack
19th April 2013, 12:22 AM
Another example
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/council-ban-clouds-anzac-day-memorial/story-e6frf7kx-1226623845177

outback
19th April 2013, 12:39 AM

Well if you care to remember the clowns that got put in in 1972 ran the defence forces down and this lot are doing it again but with more resentment. In the 70's Bns were shrinking and so amalgamations took place both in permeant and reserve forces.

If you are like me keep what hair you have left, Sep is coming and things should change one hopes.

outback
19th April 2013, 12:41 AM
Well quick note, Grandfather WWI, father WWII, me ex RaInf, son RAE. Seems to run in the family.

NP99
19th April 2013, 06:49 AM
Another example
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/council-ban-clouds-anzac-day-memorial/story-e6frf7kx-1226623845177

If it wasn't for the ANZACs that idiot wouldn't be able to make decisions!!!

Lonicus
19th April 2013, 02:20 PM
If it wasn't for the ANZACs that idiot wouldn't be able to make decisions!!!
Exactly!

It's the ANZACS, along with current and former service personnel, that make Australia the type of place people risk their lives in leaky fishing boats to get to for a better life. Honour the ANZACS and their sacrifices or GTFO!

NP99
19th April 2013, 05:54 PM
Well quick note, Grandfather WWI, father WWII, me ex RaInf, son RAE. Seems to run in the family.

Wish all families could brag about that, we'll done mate :)

PMC
20th April 2013, 06:19 PM
Another example

G'day folks,

What a bureaucratic dick-brain!

Cr Perkins is typical of a left thinking wanker. This same scumbag believes in prisoners’ rights and protecting their well-being. He does not stand up for the victims of crime or there families well-being!

I cringe at times knowing that my fellow Brothers in Arms and I put our life’s on the line for this great country and her fantastic citizens only to be let down by a pacifist masturbator such as Cr Perkins!

Regards,

RLI

NP99
20th April 2013, 06:25 PM
None of the Greens deserve our support. They want to disarm the ADF. And we all know about their attitude to those that enjoy the outdoors.

I hate them all, even that dick brain John Howard said nobody has worked harder for Australia than a politician. WTF.....ever seen what ADF members have done for our country......it's you dick heads that give everything to boat imports and sweet FA to our Vets.......rant over!!!

threedogs
20th April 2013, 06:34 PM
There was a book out years ago called "101 things to do with a {dead}Greennie". RLMFAO
try and find a copy and have a laugh

NP99
20th April 2013, 07:04 PM
Those poor refugees are living in tented accommodation .......and the Greens are sobbing about it, literally crying! Wish I could give them my house poor bastards!

PMC
24th April 2013, 04:12 PM
G'day folks,

Just down loaded this from the Australian news website!

Regards,

RLI

Theft of medals from veteran's home 'a low act'

April 24, 2013 2:00PM

NSW Premier Barry O'Farrell has demanded that the "mongrel" who stole 13 medals from the home of an 82-year-old veteran just before Anzac Day hands them back.

The war veteran is “absolutely devastated and distressed” following the theft during a break-in on Monday, police said.

The service medals were stolen from the man's home at Mount Pritchard in Sydney's west after he and his wife left for a day out with their son.

They returned home at 7pm to find a window smashed at the back of the house, bedrooms ransacked and items scattered on the floors.

The digger, a veteran of the Korean and Vietnam wars, then discovered 13 service medals had been stolen from his bedroom, along with some jewellery.

“I can think of nothing worse to occur in the lead-up to Anzac Day than the theft of these medals,” Mr O'Farrell told reporters in Sydney.
. .
“It was a mongrel act and if the mongrel who did it wants to redeem him or herself, return those medals anonymously to a police station so they can be restored before tomorrow.”

Cabramatta Local Area Commander Superintendent Wayne Murray said the former Digger was “absolutely devastated” at the loss.

“The monetary, street value of these medals is not that much, but they're of great sentimental value to him,” he said.

“This is cruel. To have your home broken into at any point of the year is obviously distressing, but to have your home broken into and medals stolen and just before Anzac Day, is a low act.

“I would describe the (thief) as a knucklehead.”

Police are continuing investigations, including checking local pawn shops, after having found leads following a forensic examination of the home.

One possible lead related to reports that a number of women dressed in red were in the area at the time.

“It was an opportunistic break and enter. They've come across the medals and believe they are of monetary value to them and clearly there isn't,” Supt Murray said.

“You can't offload them anywhere.”

NP99
24th April 2013, 04:20 PM
Yes, those idiots probably thought they struck gold.....their real value is to the member and their family..

NP99
24th April 2013, 04:21 PM
Kapyong day today.......big day for 3RAR......it's a 48 hr Anzac Day :)

oncedisturbed
24th April 2013, 09:22 PM
Depending on the unit, a lot of them have 48hr Anzac celebrations. I know my old RACT unit did and got in the crap with the CO if we turned up late lolol

Never underestimate the power of the Tap.

Parksy
24th April 2013, 09:34 PM
Stupid dickhead. They won't be able to wear the medals, everyone will be out looking for them.
Cut their hands off, works in the Middle East.

PMC
25th April 2013, 10:59 AM
Local police come to the rescue!

G'day folks,

Just heard on the local radio, that the local police in Sydney did a great thing and got replicas made up for this poor old veteran that had hes medals stolen. The police officers pooled money from all the officers in the station so he had something to wear for ANZAC day.

PS, to those kind and respectful police officers thanks lads!

Regards,

RLI

threedogs
25th April 2013, 01:37 PM
Some ppl are absolute fools or Mongrels and thats putting it Mildly
No family values with those thieves, throw the book at them and let
them do some work for the War widows or similar, Farkin hate thieves

NP99
25th April 2013, 04:18 PM
Local police come to the rescue!

G'day folks,

Just heard on the local radio, that the local police in Sydney did a great thing and got replicas made up for this poor old veteran that had hes medals stolen. The police officers pooled money from all the officers in the station so he had something to wear for ANZAC day.

PS, to those kind and respectful police officers thanks lads!

Regards,

RLI

Thanks for the post.....well done to the cops!

PMC
26th April 2013, 12:55 PM
Absolutely Disgraceful and disrespectful behaviour of our war dead! WW II – Commonwealth Military Cemetery in Libya.

This is how our Muslim brothers celebrated ANZAC day. A view of our peaceful Muslim friends who we helped free from persecution from Colonel Gadhafi, this is obviously their way of saying thanks. (Farken arseholes!)

Every time a joke and or cartoon is made about the Koran or Mohammad the whole world turns upside down and we are all viewed and then labelled as racists!

However, these radical scrotes appear to do whatever they like, whenever they like and no one says anything, especially our left wing folks in our world’s society. Why are the world’s media failing to properly report this type of disrespectful behavior? Why are the world’s western politicians cowering like freighted dogs towards the radical elements of the Muslim world!

Whether we like it or not lounge lizards, unless the Muslim world properly assimilates with the rest of the world, conflict is inedible!

PS, see this video whilst it's available and before it is removed! http://www.youtube.com/embed/RtgbvotqVFE?rel=0

Regards,

RLI

NP99
27th April 2013, 12:07 AM
Thanks mate......the sheep need to spk up!

oncedisturbed
27th April 2013, 02:45 PM
I had the honour of having beers and an excellent chat with the son of Jack Sue on Anzac Day, was a very humbling moment indeed

Never underestimate the power of the Tap.

93patrol
27th April 2013, 07:05 PM
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/brothers-in-arms-an-ode-to-a-young-soldier/story-fnhnv0wb-1226630165342

came across this just now got coaght with a lump in my throat

lest we forget and give thanks for what every defense force member give

NP99
27th April 2013, 11:01 PM
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/brothers-in-arms-an-ode-to-a-young-soldier/story-fnhnv0wb-1226630165342

came across this just now got coaght with a lump in my throat

lest we forget and give thanks for what every defense force member give

What a waste .......damn good kid. These are our heroes, not bloody rugby or Aussie rules players.

PMC
30th April 2013, 05:26 PM
Changes to the Defence Act regarding Stolen Valour

24 April 2013

The Government has today announced that it will seek an amendment to the Defence Act to make it an offence for people to wear a service medal in a manner that falsely indicates that it has been conferred on them, when it has not.

Parliamentary Secretary for Defence Senator David Feeney said the proposed amendment will address concerns expressed by the veterans’ community over the incorrect wearing of unofficial decorations.

“We will be amending the Defence Act to include an offence of wearing an unofficial service decoration on the left breast,” Senator Feeney said.

An unofficial service decoration is one that has not been officially conferred on an individual.

“The proposed offence will be in addition to the protections for service decorations that are already contained in the Defence Act, and is in line with suggested changes to the Defence Act that have been raised by veterans and the Prime Ministerial Advisory Council on Ex-Service Matters,” Senator Feeney said.

The amendment will also be in line with Commonwealth guidance regarding the wearing of unofficial service decorations that appears on the Government’s ‘It’s an Honour’ website.

“Such an amendment is an example of the Government’s commitment to veterans and former members of the Defence Force and the honour system that reflects the sacrifices they have made for our country and people,” Senator Feeney said.

Media contacts:
Senator Feeney’s Office: Jeffrey Von Drehnen 0477 348 476
Defence Media Operations (02) 6127 1999

PS, about time!

Regards,

RLI

russ81
30th April 2013, 10:17 PM
This guy should be slammed with the full force of the law

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/04/209.jpg

PMC
30th April 2013, 10:49 PM
This guy should be slammed with the full force of the law

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/04/209.jpg

G'day Russ,

Where the fark was this dick-brain photographed?

PS, Definite candidate for the ANZMI website!

Regards,

RLI

russ81
30th April 2013, 10:54 PM
Melbourne I believe mate, I reckon once they get more info on him he will be up in lights

PMC
30th April 2013, 11:00 PM
Melbourne I believe mate, I reckon once they get more info on him he will be up in lights

G'day mate,

I am glad that someone had the decency to photograph that parasite! I am looking forward to read more about this scrote!

Regards,

RLI

russ81
2nd May 2013, 08:15 PM
G'day mate,

I am glad that someone had the decency to photograph that parasite! I am looking forward to read more about this scrote!

Regards,

RLI

Another pic of the scumbag taken from his Facebook page

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/05/5.jpg

NP99
2nd May 2013, 08:23 PM
Is there a blurb on his page? I passed this on to our community guys......lots of anger!

russ81
2nd May 2013, 08:26 PM
The plot thickens

Another pic, story to follow

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/05/6.jpg

PMC
4th May 2013, 08:06 PM
Defence White Paper focuses on mental health

Simon Cullen reported this story on Saturday, May 4, 2013 08:20:00

ELIZABETH JACKSON: As Australian troops are gradually withdrawn from Afghanistan, there'll be more young veterans living in the community than at any other time since the Vietnam War.

Since then, there's been a greater understanding of the long-term mental health effects of war, including post-traumatic stress disorder.

The Government's new strategic vision for Australia's defence forces includes $25 million to help deal with the problem, but some are already questioning whether that will be enough.

From Canberra, Simon Cullen reports.

SIMON CULLEN: Throughout 2010, Major-General John Cantwell was the commander of Australia's forces in Afghanistan. He returned home with the mental scars of battle.

It's an issue that's been given extra prominence through yesterday's release of the 2013 Defence White Paper.

In unveiling the new strategic plan, the Prime Minister Julia Gillard announced there'd be $25 million set aside to boost mental health care for service personnel.

JULIA GILLARD: The critical importance of looking after the health and wellbeing of our serving and ex-service men and women, including in relation to mental health disorders.

SIMON CULLEN: The Veterans Counselling Service will be extended to border protection staff, those involved in dealing with disaster zones, and people hurt in training accidents as well as their families.

It'll also cover the families of veterans killed in operational service and include a new post-discharge screening assessment carried out by a GP.

Major-General John Cantwell:

JOHN CANTWELL: I think we've got the right level of prominence in a paper such as the Defence White Paper, which stands as the highest statement of government policy in regards to Defence.

SIMON CULLEN: By the end of this year, most Australian troops will have returned from Afghanistan.

There's growing recognition within the Defence Force that many will require mental health care and support in readjusting to life back in Australia.

Former Defence Force chief Admiral Chris Barrie isn't convinced the extra $25 million will be enough.

CHRIS BARRIE: I think it's a step in the right direction in the sense that we've allocated some serious money to dealing with the sorts of issues that are going to crop up. But I'll also say there's more than just throwing money at it to solve this problem.

I think that getting families really involved in this is important. They're the people that are going to recognise there's been a change, if there is a change. They'd be the first point of contact, I'd say, in recognising PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) in any way.

SIMON CULLEN: General John Cantwell says families often bear the brunt of the mental health challenges facing veterans and he's hopeful there'll be further changes to the way the Defence Force deals with the issue.

SIMON CANTWELL: I think there will still be quite a few difficulties for our veterans who are seeking the help that they deserve. And this is largely because they are dealing with a large bureaucracy and these are always difficult things to do, particularly if one is mentally unwell. It's the worst time to wrestle with some bureaucrat over form-filling.

ELIZABETH JACKSON: Retired Major-General John Cantwell ending that report from Simon Cullen in Canberra.

Regards,

RLI

NP99
5th May 2013, 12:29 AM
$25 million, but a drop in the ocean! How much do we spend on boat people???

PMC
5th May 2013, 11:30 AM
Is this dick-head for real!

DEFENCE Minister Stephen Smith reiterated the need for a regional pivot in the federal government's defence white paper despite an unclear means to pay for the ambition.

"It's not a budget document, it's a white paper. I've seen people say that since we didn't meet 2 per cent of GDP it's the worst day for defence since the fall of Saigon," Mr Smith told Sky News's Australian Agenda.

Speaking of power in his own backyard, Mr Smith said he believed Labor would at least hold the three federal seats it already holds in Western Australia - including his own - and that the election would "go down to the wire".

PS, Is this dick-head for real, that the election will go down to the wire!

Regards,

RLI

russ81
5th May 2013, 04:40 PM
Posted on behalf of Paul.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/05/21.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/05/22.jpg

PMC
5th May 2013, 06:41 PM
Posted on behalf of Paul.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/05/21.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/05/22.jpg

G'day folks,

Thanks Russ for posting these two photos up for me.

Another dick-brain spotted wearing a chest full of tin in Hobart! I have mates in Tasmania trying to find out who this tosser is!

Regards,

Paul

NP99
5th May 2013, 10:06 PM
Here is a few more pics from East Timor (6RAR) 03-04

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/67.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/68.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/69.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/70.jpg

Russ, did you serve with Xxxxx

russ81
5th May 2013, 10:45 PM
The name isn't familiar off the top of my head, do you know which company he was in

NP99
6th May 2013, 11:24 AM
Was an OC over there.

PMC
6th May 2013, 07:30 PM
It's all about respect. Part 1

The Defence Minister appears to merely tolerate those in the armed forces, writes John Cantwell.

It's all about respect. Does the Defence Minister, Stephen Smith, respect the men and women of the Australian Defence Force? Regrettably, the answer appears to be ''no''.

In recent years, I've found myself in the company of several defence ministers for extended periods. In 2008, as the senior military officer running the force structure review as part of the present defence white paper, I spent long hours over many sessions briefing the then minister, Joel Fitzgibbon. It was a painful process.

Fitzgibbon was out of his depth. He simply didn't get it. Not only could he not understand what we were trying to tell him, he didn't put in the time to try to get across his brief. When he was required to sell the concepts and costs to his cabinet colleagues, I found myself having to prepare additional PowerPoint charts to explain to him the briefing that had already been simplified to the point of banality. He was an auto-electrician in a suit. But at least Fitzgibbon occasionally expressed a desire to do the right thing by the service personnel who delivered our military capability.

There was a sigh of relief around the Defence precinct on Canberra's Russell Hill when Fitzgibbon was forced to resign and was replaced by the vastly experienced and influential John Faulkner. I spent several days with Faulkner when I was commander of forces serving in Afghanistan and the wider Middle East area of operations. Two things struck me about his attitude towards our Diggers and the risks they take every day.

First, Faulkner was genuinely concerned about the soldiers he met in Afghanistan. He spoke sincerely to them of his gratitude for the sacrifices they were making. I admired the way he was able to distinguish between his personal abhorrence of war and the necessity, as Defence Minister, to make the people we send to war understand that he supported them unreservedly.

Second, he took the deaths of Australian soldiers very personally. When I briefed him on the circumstances of the deaths of two of our soldiers, killed by a roadside bomb, he was visibly pained by the description of what had happened. He sat for long moments grim-faced, then said, in an uncharacteristically quiet voice, ''That's the most appalling thing that anyone has ever briefed me on.'' Towards the end of his tour, Faulkner told me, ''I want you to know that if there is anything, anything, that you need here, you only have to ask.'' I believed him.

Faulkner spent only a little over a year as Defence Minister before returning to the backbench. When his replacement, Stephen Smith, made his first visit to the troops in Afghanistan I made sure he understood what was going well and what wasn't. I warned him of potential problems. I briefed him on the nuanced, often sensitive relationships with our coalition partners in Afghanistan. I provided a frank assessment of the quality of Afghanistan security forces we were training. Throughout, Smith sat immobile, taking no notes, making no comment. At the conclusion of this briefing, to which the then chief of the Defence Force Angus Houston added his insights, I asked if he had any questions. There were none. It must have been a cracking brief.

Regards,

RLI

PMC
6th May 2013, 07:33 PM
Part 2

Later in the tour, in the joint US-Australian headquarters at Tarin Kowt in Uruzgan province, I saw the same stony-faced response to similar briefings. At one stage the commanding officer of the taskforce charged with mentoring the Afghan 4th Brigade provided a detailed, honest appraisal of his troops' daily battles with insurgents, the progress of the local soldiers and prospects for the future. The CO asked if the minister had any questions. The 20 or 30 Australian and American officers in the room looked to Smith for comments, questions, words of encouragement. His response? ''No, thank you'', followed by a glance at me with the question, ''What's next?'' Inspirational, it wasn't.

That same day I escorted Smith to one of our forward patrol bases, which were established when we expanded our operations into an area previously covered by Dutch and French troops, who had recently departed. The CO of the mentoring task-force had sensibly rebalanced his force to cover the new territory. But the Australian and Afghan troops there had been in constant and occasionally heavy contact with the enemy. They were under the pump.

We gathered the dirty, tired Diggers together at the end of Smith's tour. Media crews travelling with the minister turned on their cameras and he made a lacklustre speech clearly pitched at the audience back home. He talked ''at'' the soldiers, not to them. He then turned to walk back to the helicopter pad. ''Minister,'' I said, ''perhaps you might take a couple of questions from the soldiers before you go?'' The look I got in response was poisonous. ''Well, are there any questions?'' he asked the soldiers.

''Yes, sir,'' one said. ''We got moved out here earlier than we were supposed to and we're spread a bit thin on the ground. Can we get some additional troops sent out from Australia?'' It was a reasonable question, at least from the perspective of a soldier fighting in a scrubby valley in Afghanistan. Smith launched into a long spiel about supporting the coalition and fighting terrorism and building capacity in the Afghan security forces and making a contribution and all the phrases that work well in Canberra. It didn't work so well when delivered to blokes who would soon start another patrol along paths hiding improvised bombs designed to kill them. There were no other questions.

Walking towards the helicopter for the ride back to Tarin Kowt, Smith said to me, ''Don't set me up with unscheduled questions like that again''. He was not happy.

After 38 years as a soldier and as a commander, I'd learned to read people, quickly and accurately. Reflecting on Smith's visit, the abiding impression I was left with was that he merely tolerated people like me and the troops I commanded. I cast around in my mind for the element that seemed to be missing in his dealings with the men and women of the ADF who I led. Then I had it: respect. Smith had no respect for those who chose to serve in uniform for their country. It was an uncomfortable insight.

Based on the utterances of Smith, both last year and this week, in relation to the commandant of the Australian Defence Force Academy and the inexcusable Skype scandal, I sense that the judgment I formed in 2010 was on the money. There's no respect, and it works both ways.

Good onya Sir, the Defence Minister is certainly a fark-stick and an embarrassment to those men and women that wear the uniform!

Regards,

RLI

NP99
6th May 2013, 07:48 PM
Smith is more into scoring goals with the left over alleged abuse! Sgt, don't yell at me, I'm upset when you do and I'll report you to Minister Smith :(

russ81
6th May 2013, 09:15 PM
Was an OC over there.

Now that you mention it the name rings a bell, I believe he was married to a Captain medic from 7 CSSB, the name echoes as she had her rifle stolen at the end of Ex Tandem Thrust 01 by some yanks while in the crapper.

Later found out she was married to an officer from 6 RAR.

I was in Support Company DFSW Pl.

NP99
6th May 2013, 09:42 PM
Now that you mention it the name rings a bell, I believe he was married to a Captain medic from 7 CSSB, the name echoes as she had her rifle stolen at the end of Ex Tandem Thrust 01 by some yanks while in the crapper.

Later found out she was married to an officer from 6 RAR.

I was in Support Company DFSW Pl.

You're correct, I removed his name from the original post. Great guy, is now a red hat in the Middle East. Probably a Bde Comd in the near future.

PMC
7th May 2013, 12:18 AM
G'day lounge Lizards!

The Norwegian Royal Guard

These guys are what I call precision at it's best. Watch the whole Video in Full Screen, Keep in mind this is being done on ice no yards marked off like on a football field!

All the precision drill is being performed on ICE ! The rifles are U.S. made Garand M-1 rifles (WWII), and they are heavy weapons (4.63 kg) and with bayonets fixed, yet.
When that one guy goes on his own, i bet you have never seen a rifle spun that fast! Enjoy!

http://sorisomail.com/email/16993/exibicao-de-banda-militar--um-espectaculo-imperdivel.html

Regards,

RLI

NP99
7th May 2013, 06:15 AM
I thought I might add a sub thread in here, Havey Norman and Annaconda offer army discount. Just show your ID card, most times they don't want to see it :)

PMC
18th May 2013, 05:48 PM
M E D I A R E L E A S E

Thursday, 16 May 2013

Budget again fails military superannuants

Military superannuants have been denied fair indexation in yet another Labor Budget proving once and for all that the only way to deliver fair indexation is to change the Government.

Shadow Minister for Veterans’ Affairs, Senator the Hon. Michael Ronaldson, said the Gillard Labor Government’s 2013-14 Budget failed to deliver on the number one concern of veterans and their families.

“It is now clear that the only way to deliver fair indexation is to change the Government”, Senator Ronaldson said. “Saturday, 14 September 2013 is the day to make Fair Indexation happen.”

“I can guarantee if a Coalition Government is elected on 14 September 2013 that next year’s Budget will contain the funds necessary to deliver our fair indexation commitment to DFRB and DFRDB military superannuants aged 55 and over.”“Only the Coalition can and will deliver fair indexation.”

Senator Ronaldson said other measures in the Budget, whilst welcome, were actually re-announcements of commitments made in recent weeks which belatedly acted on old advice.“Labor has announced funding for mental health services, but the additional funding and associated services won’t be available until after 1 July 2014.”

“The extension of non-liability mental health treatment, at a cost of $14.6 million, comes with a qualification requirement of a minimum of three years’ full time service for ex-service personnel to access it.”

“This is at odds with the DVA-preferred recommendation in the 2011 Review of Military Compensation Arrangements which called for a full extension to all ex-service personnel.”
“The widening of services to veterans’ families attending counselling services at the VVCS has similarly been deferred for the next 14 months, despite these recommendations going to the Department in 2011.”

Senator Ronaldson said the Coalition was absolutely committed to the Centenary of Anzac and would work hard in Government to ensure the commemoration period was the success it must be.

“This sixth Labor Budget leaves many areas of concern unaddressed. Labor’s legacy of debt and deficit, waste and mismanagement, chaos, division and indecision will give veterans no comfort that Labor has an agenda for veterans’ affairs into the future”, Senator Ronaldson said.

Regards,

RLI

NP99
19th May 2013, 05:42 PM
I guess age 55 is better than nothing......should be no age limitation!

PMC
22nd May 2013, 04:39 PM
Four hospitalised after Puckapunyal army base tanks crash

May 22, 2013 2:19PM

THREE men have been flown to hospital with serious injuries after two army tanks collided at a Victorian army base.

Ten people were injured when the vehicles collided about 10.30am (AEST) at the Puckapunyal Army Base in central Victoria.

Three men were airlifted to Melbourne hospitals in serious but stable conditions, Rural Ambulance Victoria spokesman John Mullen said.

A fourth person was taken to Royal Melbourne Hospital by road in a stable condition. A further six people suffered minor injuries and were being assessed at a medical centre on the army base.

Mr Mullen said it was unlikely the six people would be taken to hospital.

The Australian Defence Force and Victoria Police are investigating the collision.

A police spokeswoman said officers would investigate whether there was any criminal negligence stemming from the crash.

If there was no negligence, the investigation would be handled by the Defence Force, she said.

NP99
22nd May 2013, 07:14 PM
I think they were ASLAVs.....

PMC
23rd May 2013, 02:30 PM
G'day folks,

I was saddened to watch this shear act of brutality occur in the streets of London this morning on the news to a fellow brother in-arms!

Regards,

RLI

London attack: Terrorists targeting soldiers at home again?

By Nick Hunt, CNN
May 23, 2013 -- Updated 0227 GMT (1027 HKT)

London (CNN) -- Security experts are starting to analyze events leading up to the horrific cleaver attack of a man believed to be a British soldier on the suburban streets of London.
One key line of inquiry they'll be following among the many leads: How does this attack relate to other incidents around the world?

CNN Terrorism Analyst Paul Cruickshank says the precedents are not hard to detect. "It's early in the investigation in terms of looking at the culprit and motivation but there's a track record of Islamist extremists inspired by al Qaeda ideology targeting soldiers in the West," he said.

Other areas the security services would look at, he added, would include which groups -- if any -- were behind the attack and whether it was home-grown.

Cruickshank said that there had been plots in the past when attackers had tried to target military personnel: the fact that Wednesday's murder happened near a military barracks in southeast London was significant.

"It's not clear if this particular officer was specifically targeted or he just happened to be walking through this area and was a target of opportunity," said Cruickshank, "but it seems that more than one individual was part of this attack, so this could well have been planned. We just don't know."

CNN affiliate ITN has broadcast a video showing a man at the scene of the attack with bloody hands and holding a meat cleaver, saying: "We swear by almighty Allah we will never stop fighting you." He then continues: "The only reasons we killed this man this is because Muslims are dying daily. This British soldier is an eye for an eye, a tooth for to

93patrol
23rd May 2013, 05:35 PM
That's shocking and saddening not to mention disgusting cowardly attack on a person not just a soldier.

Effing wanker

Guns don't kill people, people with mustachios kill people

Drew
23rd May 2013, 07:12 PM
Absolutely disgusting. These two guys have now changed the rules and unfortunately a lot of innocent people will suffer.

What's more concerning is how we don't treat these attacks as hate crimes.

93patrol
23rd May 2013, 08:21 PM
Absolutely disgusting. These two guys have now changed the rules and unfortunately a lot of innocent people will suffer.

What's more concerning is how we don't treat these attacks as hate crimes.

Could also be racism

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Drew
23rd May 2013, 08:44 PM
Could also be racism

I agree as its targeted towards western cultures (European based cultures) then it's not hard to see it as race based but we don't seem to talk about it.

NP99
2nd June 2013, 05:33 PM
I agree as its targeted towards western cultures (European based cultures) then it's not hard to see it as race based but we don't seem to talk about it.

Lets not upset the PC do gooders !

PMC
3rd June 2013, 11:13 AM
G'day folks,

I found this to be a very interesting article. Enjoy!

Regards,

RLI

Tony Blair says murder of Lee Rigby PROVES 'there is a problem within Islam'

Monday, Jun 03 2013

• Ex-PM says 'the ideology behind his murder is profound and dangerous'
• Bold intervention comes of ever of Cameron Commons speech
• Blair urges governments to 'be honest'

By Glen Owen, Mail on Sunday Political Correspondent

Tony Blair today makes his most powerful political intervention since leaving Downing Street by launching an outspoken attack on ‘the problem within Islam’.

The former Prime Minister addresses the shocking killing of Drummer Lee Rigby in Woolwich by going further than he – or any front-rank British politician – has gone before over the issue of Muslim radicalism.

Writing in today’s Mail on Sunday, he departs from the usual argument that Islam is a peaceful religion that should not be tainted by the actions of a few extremists. Instead, Mr Blair urges governments to ‘be honest’ and admit that the problem is more widespread.

‘There is a problem within Islam – from the adherents of an ideology which is a strain within Islam,’ he writes.

‘We have to put it on the table and be honest about it. Of course there are Christian extremists and Jewish, Buddhist and Hindu ones. But I am afraid this strain is not the province of a few extremists. It has at its heart a view about religion and about the interaction between religion and politics that is not compatible with pluralistic, liberal, open-minded societies.’

He adds: ‘At the extreme end of the spectrum are terrorists, but the world view goes deeper and wider than it is comfortable for us to admit. So by and large we don’t admit it.’

Mr Blair’s comments are likely to be seized on by critics who will argue that by leading us into the Iraq War he has helped to swell support for radical Islam around the globe.

Outspoken: The former Prime Minister addresses the shocking killing of Drummer Lee Rigby, pictured, by going further than he - or any front-rank British politician - has gone before over the issue of Muslim radicalism

The former PM’s remarks come as David Cameron prepares to make a Commons statement about the Woolwich murder tomorrow afternoon. The statement will come just hours after the first meeting of the Prime Minister’s Tackling Extremism and Radicalisation Task Force (TERFOR) – made up of senior Ministers, MI5, police and moderate religious leaders – tomorrow morning.

‘President Assad is brutally pulverising communities hostile to his regime.’ Mr Blair says that ‘the overwhelming desire of the West is to stay out of it’, which he goes on to describe as ‘completely understandable’.

He suggests that ‘the problem within Islam’ can start to be tackled by ‘educating children about faith here and abroad’.

Sir Malcolm Rifkind, a former Foreign Secretary and chairman of the Parliamentary Intelligence and Security Committee, said: ‘Much of what Tony Blair says is sensible.

‘The Islamic terrorists who kill people have the silent support of many more in their community who share their ideology, if not their methods.

‘But even combined, they represent only a small minority of British Muslims, and we must never forget that.

‘However, he appears to be still trying to justify the Iraq War rather than acknowledging that that war provided an unprecedented opportunity for the Sunni and Shia extremists to slaughter so many of their co-religionists.’

Whitehall sources said that it would be a ‘preliminary meeting’ to draw up the agenda for a full meeting within days. The group, which the Muslim Foreign Office Minister Baroness Warsi, will examine new powers to muzzle hate preachers.

Mr Cameron’s Commons speech is also expected to address the situation in Syria. In his article, Mr Blair, who is trying to establish a Palestinian state through his work as a peace envoy, also addresses the Syrian situation, warning: ‘We are at the beginning of this tragedy .  .  . Syria is in a state of accelerating disintegration.

NP99
3rd June 2013, 11:45 AM
Funny how they can never tell the truth when in power. There is only one solution to the problem and the US showed us how back in WW2

Drew
3rd June 2013, 11:56 AM
Funny how they can never tell the truth when in power. There is only one solution to the problem and the US showed us how back in WW2
I wonder how much of this "lack of truthfulness" is to keep the wider community blissfully unaware of whatever it is they don't want us to know.

NP99
3rd June 2013, 06:17 PM
They hide shit from us all the time. It takes 30 years to learn the truth...........

PMC
6th June 2013, 04:39 PM
M e d i a r e l e a s e

G,day folks,

This is the latest opposition media-release regarding DVA claim times!

Regards,

RLI

Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Honesty needed on veterans’ claim processing times

The Gillard Labor Government is regularly misreporting average claim processing times for veterans returning from recent conflicts making claims for compensation for their service-related conditions.

Evidence given in Senate Estimates by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs confirmed that the average claim processing time of 120 days was not being met. In fact, the working average is actually 155 days.

Shadow Minister for Veterans’ Affairs, Senator the Hon. Michael Ronaldson, said Labor was fudging figures in the Budget to the detriment of veterans.

“Two years ago, Veterans’ Affairs Minister Warren Snowdon said the claims process was ‘complex, unwieldy and slow’, but it appears Labor has actually done nothing tangible since then to meaningfully reduce claims processing times”, Senator Ronaldson said.

“Labor knew in March this year that average processing times for compensation claims was 155 days, but decided that the Budget papers released just three weeks ago would misreport that number. Labor’s Budget papers say the actual ‘mean’ processing time for 2012-13 was 120 days. Departmental officials confirmed this was incorrect.”

“Veterans and their families will take cold comfort from the Gillard Labor Government knowingly misreporting important statistics, such as average claims processing times, as they deal with the anxiety of the compensation claims process.”

“Warren Snowdon needs to explain why he allows such manipulation of Departmental figures and statistics to hide a problem – a very serious problem confronting the community.”

Senator Ronaldson said the expected growth in new claims – confirmed at 8 per cent per annum – required leadership from the Minister to end the dodgy reporting.

“The Department of Veterans’ Affairs acknowledged in Senate Estimates that there is an issue and that processing times are well behind where they want them to be. Minister Snowdon should also acknowledge that there is an issue rather than trying to manipulate figures to present a different reality.”

PMC
11th June 2013, 11:01 AM
M e d i a r e l e a s e

Friday, 7 June 2013

Veterans’ mental health a challenge for all

The challenges facing the nation from veterans’ battling mental illness are real and our nation must prepare for those challenges.

Shadow Minister for Veterans’ Affairs, Senator the Hon. Michael Ronaldson, said the Coalition was fully committed to working with the veteran and wider community to ensure veterans needing treatment for mental health conditions could access that treatment.

“While the Coalition is unaware of the individual circumstances raised on 7:30 last night the story does highlight issues that the Minister needs to acknowledge and deal with”, Senator Ronaldson said. “The Coalition has given its support to the Government’s recent veterans’ mental health announcements as we believe they represent a step in the right direction.”

“However, at Senate Estimates earlier this week the Department of Veterans’ Affairs admitted that actual processing times for veterans’ compensation claims were 30 per cent higher than the ‘mean’ figure reported in the Budget papers.“

“The Government will therefore spend $1.7 million to ‘improve‘ claim processing times. However, this will not be spent to reduce the reported 120 day ‘mean’ processing time, but to bring claims processing back from the unreported average 155 days to the reported 120-day ‘mean’ average.”

“Veterans’ Affairs Minister Warren Snowdon is trying to use weasel-words in an attempt to escape the fact that the average claims processing time is longer than is being reported in the Budget papers. Honesty is required.“

“Given the statistics in the Budget papers bear little or no resemblance to the actual situation, it does beg the question as to why the Government has been less than frank about the situation. There is no benefit to anyone in the misreporting or fudging of these figures.”

Senator Ronaldson said everything must be done to remove barriers to veterans, and their families, seeking help when they need it. “The Coalition supports the announced extension of non-liability treatment for mental health conditions for veterans, as well as the expansion of service available to veterans and their families through the Veterans’ and Veterans’ Families Counselling Service (VVCS).”

NP99
12th June 2013, 01:02 AM
Speed up processing of claims by replacing the pot plants that work at DVA.

PMC
13th June 2013, 03:42 PM
watch this before it's pulled off the net

G'day folks,

Fort Hood video, watch this before it's pulled off the net. I agree 100% with the generals comments!

http://downloads.cbn.com/cbnnewsplayer/cbnPlayer.swf?aid=11991

Regards,

RLI

93patrol
13th June 2013, 09:22 PM
Been pulled already champ damn missed it by 5 hours

TPC
13th June 2013, 09:30 PM
Been pulled already champ damn missed it by 5 hours

The link still works for me.

NP99
13th June 2013, 10:20 PM
Can't view it! What's the general thrust?

PMC
15th June 2013, 05:13 PM
Can't view it! What's the general thrust?

G'day NP99

Mate, trying double clicking on this one!

http://downloads.cbn.com/cbnnewsplayer/cbnPlayer.swf?aid=11991

Regards,

Paul

93patrol
1st July 2013, 08:49 PM
I see one of the fakers got only a $2500 fine. What joke should have gone to jail for forgery

At least it's something though. It was on 7 news Perth

NP99
1st July 2013, 08:59 PM
I see one of the fakers got only a $2500 fine. What joke should have gone to jail for forgery

At least it's something though. It was on 7 news Perth

Any details on who it was mate?

93patrol
1st July 2013, 09:03 PM
He was one of the Melbourne rsl presidents apparently I ll do a quick search hang on

93patrol
1st July 2013, 09:14 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/ex-rsl-official-lance-smith-accused-of-deception/story-fni0fit3-1226665922353

this one his name is Lance Smith

NP99
1st July 2013, 09:20 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/ex-rsl-official-lance-smith-accused-of-deception/story-fni0fit3-1226665922353

this one his name is Lance Smith

They all quote bullshit for lack of record of service......

93patrol
1st July 2013, 09:25 PM
even though I was never in any of the services I have great respect for anyone who is or has served and this is just upsetting that this stuff happens and its not only a couple of people its a fair few which is B.S.

hope they charge more of these scum and they get a bigger sentence

93patrol
1st July 2013, 09:27 PM
all he got was a fine and a 6 month suspended sentence

NP99
1st July 2013, 10:27 PM
If the judge had service he might use more of his powers of punishment!

Wazza_66
2nd July 2013, 11:12 AM
He should have been locked up. Suspended sentence is BS.

PMC
3rd July 2013, 03:41 PM
They all quote bullshit for lack of record of service......

G''day mate,

I cannot believe that this terd had been masquerading for so long as an RSL Sub-branch president! Where was the due-diligence?

Regards,

RLI

PMC
3rd July 2013, 04:15 PM
G'day folks,

I walked into to work today at my local RSL Sub-Branch, like i usually do every Wednesday and Thursdays that's when i am fit for duty. lol Today i was in total shock , when i was ambushed by some of my local members.

Two members presented me with two bottles of scotch (18 year old Glenfiddich single malt and a Jameson 18 Year Old Limited Reserve) I was extremely red faced and embarrassed by the whole experience. Two of my clients bought me the presents for successfully representing their claims at a recent VRB (Veterans' Revive Board) hearing. Both men had served over 20 years service and had suffered multiple injuries over the course of their respected careers.

I love my work as an RSL pensions officer and i have a passion to help those current and ex-service men and women whom have been injured by their service.

PS, thanks both Grahame and Ray for the scotch, as previously advised today, you did not have to do this, i was just glad to be able to help you both!

Regards,

Paul
:smiley_thumbs_up:

Lonicus
3rd July 2013, 05:18 PM
G'day folks,

I walked into to work today at my local RSL Sub-Branch, like i usually do every Wednesday and Thursdays that's when i am fit for duty. lol Today i was in total shock , when i was ambushed by some of my local members.

Two members presented me with two bottles of scotch (18 year old Glenfiddich single malt and a Jameson 18 Year Old Limited Reserve) I was extremely red faced and embarrassed by the whole experience. Two of my clients bought me the presents for successfully representing their claims at a recent VRB (Veterans' Revive Board) hearing. Both men had served over 20 years service and had suffered multiple injuries over the course of their respected careers.

I love my work as an RSL pensions officer and i have a passion to help those current and ex-service men and women whom have been injured by their service.

PS, thanks both Grahame and Ray for the scotch, as previously advised today, you did not have to do this, i was just glad to be able to help you both!

Regards,

Paul

Good on ya Paul!!

It's not like you don't have a metric ton of sh!t in your own life to deal with, and yet you go all out to help others that need it. You deserve every sip out of those bottles mate, and much more.

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

NP99
4th July 2013, 02:14 AM
G'day folks,

Regards,

Paul

Well deserved mate, the VRB is no easy task.

PMC
13th July 2013, 06:36 PM
G'day folks,

I turned up to our regular monthly RSL meeting to be confronted with the sad news that one of our young Afghanistan war veterans took his life last Tuesday evening.

The young soldier was only 24. He had so much life a head of him, i feel so angry and saddened that i did not see any tell-tale signs over the last 3 months.

The soldier lad only left the army 6 months ago after six years service. Two trips to Afghanistan, one trip to Iraq and two trips to East-Timor. He was a decorated young soldier and it was a privilege to have known the young man in the last 3 months.

I can only imagine how deep the darkness that was terrorising him inside to take his own life. Such a sad waste of a young man. I really feel for his family, friends and his fellow mates in the army.

PS LEST WE FORGET!

Regards,

RLI

93patrol
14th July 2013, 01:41 AM
Rest in peace digger hope the demons don't chase you there

Guns don't kill people, people with mustachios kill people

Stropp
14th July 2013, 01:48 AM
That's so sad that in this day and age people still feel so bad they feel the need to end their lives, such a tragedy for everyone. RIP young soldier!

Lonicus
15th July 2013, 11:11 AM
Very sad mate and such a terrible shame.

Saw a quick bit on the news this morning saying that more soldiers in the UK commit suicide than are killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.

There obviously needs to be a lot more done for the guys serving than is being done at the moment.

Timmo
30th July 2013, 01:16 AM

Bloody mongrel place cold, wet, no troll, instructors giving me the poos, and 4 weeks to go time can't go any quicker.

PMC
30th July 2013, 09:06 PM
J O I N T M E D I A R E L E A S E

Coalition response to report on wounded and injured personnel

If elected, the Coalition will work with the Department of Defence and Veterans’ Affairs to provide a formal Government response following the release this week of the report into Care of ADF Personnel Wounded and Injured on Operations.

Shadow Minister for Veterans’ Affairs, Senator the Hon. Michael Ronaldson, and Shadow Minister for Defence Science, Technology and Personnel, Mr Stuart Robert MP, said the Coalition was committed to working through the issues identified and recommendations made in the Parliament’s report.

“The Report of the Defence sub-committee provides the Australian Defence Force and the Department of Veterans’ Affairs with a suite of evidence and recommendations all aimed at improving services for current serving personnel, veterans and their families”, Senator Ronaldson said.

“The Coalition, if elected later this year, will prioritise a formal government response to the recommendations of the report and will work with the serving and ex-serving community to continue to improve services.”

“The Coalition particularly notes observations in the report that a joint Defence-DVA health care network could assist veterans seeking treatment for conditions post-service. That Labor failed to properly investigate this option before letting the Defence Health Contract last year is an opportunity missed, a missed opportunity to provide better care for veterans.”

Mr Robert said the Coalition would work with the Chief of the Defence Force and Service Chiefs to ensure Defence responded quickly to requests for information from DVA to expedite claims processing.

“It is vital that an effective, and efficient, relationship exists between Defence and DVA to prevent unnecessary bureaucratic delay in responding to requests for information needed in compensation claims”, Mr Robert said.

“The Coalition has a proud track record of supporting the ADF, our service men and women and our ex-service men and women. In Government we will continue that tradition and continue to build on existing services for the benefit of serving and ex-serving men and women, and their families.”

Shadow Minister for Veterans’ Affairs | Liberal Senator for Victoria
0418 432 909 |  robert.hardie@aph.gov.au

PMC
30th July 2013, 09:11 PM
M E D I A R E L E A S E

Saturday, 27 July 2013

Forgotten no more – 60 years on for Korean veterans

The 60th anniversary of the armistice concluding hostilities in the Korean War is an opportunity to reflect on the service and sacrifice of Australians who served in Korea between 1950 and 1953.

Shadow Minister for Veterans’ Affairs, Senator the Hon. Michael Ronaldson, said Korean veterans across Australia would gather to reflect on their service and to remember fallen mates who did not return home.

“Today marks 60 years since the cessation of hostilities on the Korean peninsula between North and South Korea”, Senator Ronaldson said.

“The Korean War raged between 1950 and 1953. Over that three year period, more than 17,000 Australians served in Korea; 340 were killed in action and a further 1,216 wounded.”

“Sixty years on from the conflict, Australian personnel remain missing in action on the Korean peninsula, their precise location known unto God. Research continues in Australia and across the globe to identify and, where possible, repatriate missing service personnel.”

“The Korean War, the first major global conflict after the catastrophe of World War Two, has all too often been overlooked for its significance, not just for Australia, but for the world more generally. It was a fight between totalitarianism and freedom, a fight which remains unresolved to this day.”

Senator Ronaldson said he would join with Korean veterans in Canberra today at the National Korean War Memorial where he would pay his respects to the memory of the fallen and those who returned home.

“Later this morning I will lay a wreath on behalf of the Leader of the Opposition, the Hon Tony Abbott MHR, and my parliamentary colleagues to commemorate and acknowledge this important anniversary.”

“This is a time for solemn contemplation of the sacrifice of war and to remember the service of thousands of Australians who served their nation with pride during the Korean War.”

Shadow Minister for Veterans’ Affairs | Liberal Senator for Victoria
0418 432 909 |  robert.hardie@aph.gov.au

PMC
30th July 2013, 09:19 PM
JOINT PRESS RELEASE

THE HON. TONY ABBOTT MHR, LEADER OF THE OPPOSITION SENATOR THE HON. MICHAEL RONALDSON, SHADOW MINISTER FOR VETERANS’ AFFAIRS AND MR. STUART ROBERT MHR,SHADOW MINISTER FOR DEFENCE SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY AND PERSONNEL

30 July 2013

FAIR INDEXATION OF MILITARY SERVICE PENSIONS

The Coalition will keep faith with Australia’s veterans by providing for the fair indexation of Defence Forces Retirement Benefits (DFRB) and the Defence Force Retirement and Death Benefits (DFRDB)
military superannuation pensions.

If elected, a Coalition government will ensure that DFRB and DFRDB military superannuation pensions are indexed in the same way as the age pension. Our commitment will apply to DFRB and DFRDB
superannuants aged 55 and over. Under current legislation, the government increases military superannuation pensions by the consumer price index. By contrast, the age pension is indexed according to a formula based around growth in the consumer price index, male total average weekly earnings and the pensioner and beneficiary living cost index.

If it’s inadequate to lift Centrelink pensions just by the consumer price index, it’s even less fair to apply only that index to those who have risked their lives for our country. Our promise will keep faith with the 57,000 recipients of military superannuation pensions by providing the fair indexation that Labor has not delivered.

In 2007 Mr Rudd promised fairness to the recipients of DFRB and DFRDB pensions and instead, they got nothing. The Minister for Defence Materiel, Mike Kelly, euphemistically described Mr Rudd’s broken
promise as “a reversal of the pre-election position”. Given the breach of trust by Mr Rudd, Coalition members and candidates have signed a written pledge to provide fair indexation in the next Parliament.

We will honour our pledge. We will keep our word. Australia’s veterans who have risked life and limb deserve better than a government that says one thing before an election and another thing after.
Our commitment today re-affirms our 2010 promise as well as our actions over the past three years. During the current parliament, we introduced legislation to provide fair indexation for veterans and their families.

The legislation was defeated by Labor and the Greens. We believe that Australia should protect and watch over its veterans and their future, in the same way our veterans protected and watched over our county. The Coalition’s commitment to providing fair indexation of military superannuation pensions is part of our Real Solutions Plan to build a stronger Australia and a better future for all Australians.

NP99
31st July 2013, 06:18 PM
Mike Kelly will be the next Defence Minister if the circus is re-elected :(

outback
31st July 2013, 07:33 PM
Mike Kelly will be the next Defence Minister if the circus is re-elected :(

Bit like musical chairs on the Titanic but this ship/circus my not sink in time.

PMC
5th August 2013, 09:03 AM
G'day folks,

To all those of you with a current DVA pension, make sure that if your health is deterioration due to your excepted disabilities, that your are regularly submitting an AFI (Application for Increase in pension form) EVERY 12 months by your local RSL Pensions officer. Your aim if you are working full-time is to achieve the 100% mark before age 65.

If your DVA accepted disabilities result in you having to give up work and you are suffering financially due to you having to give up your employment, you should then seek advice from your RSL pensions officer or Advocate to apply for a Special Rate Pension (TPI) if you are under 65 and Extreme Disability Pension (EDA) if you are over 65!

Regards,

RLI

Agget
5th August 2013, 07:00 PM
G'day RLI, I'm Air Force mate but grew up in Rhodesia. My old man is one of the founding members of the RLI. We need to catch up for a beer some time.

Agget.

rafa
5th August 2013, 10:00 PM
6BDE NORFORCE 4 yrs LOE

NP99
5th August 2013, 11:56 PM
Gay Mardi Gra float for Defence members.......you'll keep :-)

Inside joke folks.......

PMC
6th August 2013, 08:46 AM
Gay Mardi Gra float for Defence members.......you'll keep :-)

Inside joke folks.......

That wouldn't be that rotten basket Lonicus! who suggested that would it? lol

Regards,

RLI

Lonicus
6th August 2013, 08:31 PM

Regards,

RLI

Not me mate, I know not of what they speak :)

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

NP99
6th August 2013, 11:53 PM

Regards,

RLI

No mate......I'm getting a beer from the guilty in a day or two :)

NP99
14th August 2013, 01:31 AM
18th August almost upon us. Have some mates in Vietnam at the moment, lucky bastards :)

PMC
18th August 2013, 07:05 PM
Media Release

Senator the Hon Michael Ronaldson

Shadow Minister for Veterans' Affairs

Sunday 18 August 2013

Vietnam Veterans’ Day 2013

The 47th anniversary of the Battle of Long Tan is an opportunity for all Australians, and particularly for Vietnam veterans, their family and friends, to commemorate all battles of and service during the Vietnam War.

Shadow Minister for Veterans’ Affairs, Senator the Hon. Michael Ronaldson, said commemorative ceremonies would take place right across Australia today as Vietnam veterans gathered to commemorate their service for their nation between 1962 and 1972.

“Vietnam Veterans’ Day is the anniversary of the Battle of Long Tan, a battle in which a vastly outnumbered Australian force held its line in a rubber plantation at Long Tan in Phuoc Tuy province on 18 August 1966,” Senator Ronaldson said.

“Eighteen Australians were killed in action in the battle, and 24 were wounded. The 108 men of D Company, 6 RAR, who held off an enemy force between 10 and 15 times as large were awarded a United States Presidential Citation for their efforts.

“While 18 August will always be the anniversary of the Battle of Long Tan, it is also an occasion to remember the other iconic battles of the Vietnam War.

“As a nation, we must never forget the service and sacrifice of those almost 60,000 Australians who served in the Vietnam War, serving their nation at the nation’s request.

“Our nation must also resolve never to repeat the mistakes of the past, particularly the egregious treatment of Vietnam veterans upon their return to Australia.

“Our Vietnam veterans continue to carry the burdens of their service. They are a remarkable generation of men who, together with their families, have fought hard to ensure that their service is never forgotten,” Senator Ronaldson said.

Senator Ronaldson said he would today attend the Vietnam Veterans’ Day ceremony at the national Vietnam War memorial in Canberra, before visiting the St Marys RSL in Western Sydney.

“I look forward to spending time today with Vietnam Veterans, to hear their stories, to share their camaraderie, and to honour their service and that of the 521 Australians who made the supreme sacrifice,” Senator Ronaldson said.

Media Contact: Robert Hardie 0418 432 909

PMC
19th August 2013, 10:15 AM
Health risks in Afghanistan veterans are exaggerated, new Defence-sponsored research says

•Ian McPhedran National Defence Writer News Limited Network

THE risk of a "tsunami" of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder victims from the war in Afghanistan has been downplayed in new Defence-sponsored research.

The Prospective Health Study of troops deployed in 2010/11 found that just 1.9 per cent of participants exhibited symptoms of PTSD following their deployment.

Some experts have warned of rates of 10 per cent or more.

Academics and the top brass briefed the media on the findings but were unable to explain the incredibly low rates of PTSD in Afghan veterans compared with previous campaigns.

In addition the latest surveys found that:

*4.8 per cent of troops surveyed after their deployment reported symptoms of psychological distress.

*Just one per cent of soldiers at pre-deployment and 2.5 per cent post-deployment reported symptoms of an alcohol disorder.

The survey also discovered that 11.1 per cent of troops were obese before they deployed and 14.9 per cent came home in an obese state after months eating fried food, ice cream and sweet snacks.

Defence Force Chief General David Hurley labelled warnings of a "tsunami" of PTSD affecting modern-day veterans as simplistic and emotive.

"If we're reinforcing this by saying there's a tidal wave the system can't handle and you're going to be out there and you're going to drown, that's not the place we should be positioning people if our data does not support that," General Hurley said.

"We know there are individuals who suffer. But if we extrapolate from the ones and twos and say this is the experience of the whole, then I don't think the data supports that."

Professor Ross Young, from the faculty of health at Queensland University of Technology, said the rate of PTSD among Vietnam Veterans was above 20 per cent and in the civilian community it was 3.4 per cent.

"American forces coming back from Afghanistan had PTSD rates of 21 per cent,'' he said.

Professor Young said he could not explain the differences between these figures and the ADF survey results, but monitoring troops after they returned home would be vital.

Tens of thousands of Australian soldiers have served in trouble spots from East Timor in 1999 to Afghanistan today.

The 26,239 veterans from the Middle East Area of Operations, including Afghanistan, were asked to respond to surveys by a team of academics from the University of Queensland Centre for Military and Veterans Health and the University of Adelaide who are trying to predict the risk of psychological problems for veterans in the future.

Military surveys are notoriously unreliable and it is unlikely that many special-forces troops, who have undertaken the bulk of the heavy fighting in Afghanistan, would have even responded.

The surveys confirmed that combat roles or operating outside the main support base were associated with small increases in psychological symptoms following deployments.

They also found that changes to the nervous system and cognitive function were affected by the number and length of deployments.

The academics were unable to estimate the health costs of the Afghanistan and Iraq wars, but they pointed out that the United States has an estimated health cost of $900 billion.

Even one per cent of that is $9 billion.

Meanwhile, Defence announced that iconic Australian bootmaker RM Williams will supply parade boots to the Army.

The previous Chinese made lace-up patent leather boots fell apart during parades causing acute embarrassment to the top brass.

KEY FINDINGS OF THE ADF MIDDLE EAST PROSPECTIVE HEALTH STUDY

1. Combat exposure or operating resulted in increases in psychological symptoms at post-deployment compared to pre-deployment in the same individuals.

2. Prior trauma exposure and other lifetime experiences were significantly associated with psychological damage after deployment. Therefore an increasing burden of risk is acquired progressively across deployments.

3. The number of previous deployments and time away on previous deployments were significantly associated with changes in cognitive functioning, and increased arousal and decreased working memory efficiency.

4. Despite the environments in which these troops were deployed, in general there were low rates of physical illness and disease evident at the post deployment. Indeed, the health of a small number of participants improved between pre-and post-deployment.

OTHER FINDINGS

* 2.5 per cent of the participants at pre-deployment and 4.8 per cent at post-deployment reported psychological distress.

* 0.1 per cent of before and 1.9 per cent after reported post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

* 1.0 per cent before and 2.5 per cent after reported an alcohol disorder.

* 0.7 per cent before and 1.6 per cent after reported suicidal thoughts.

* 11.1 per cent before and 14.9 per cent after were obese.

* 1.1 per cent before and 1.6 per cent after had hypertension.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national-news/health-risks-in-afghanistan-veterans-are-exaggerated-new-defencesponsored-research-says/story-fncynjr2-1226693764790#ixzz2cMpWMFO2

Regards,

RLI

rusty_nail
19th August 2013, 10:19 AM
thats a very disturbing report RLI...

PMC
19th August 2013, 10:37 AM
thats a very disturbing report RLI...

G'day mate,

It surly is!

My mission in life at present, is to look after as many Veterans and their families as i can and also fight for the rights of all current and ex-service personal, whether they have operational or non-operational service.

Has stated by Rudyard Kipling, "making mock of uniforms that guard you while you sleep" (Kipling, Tommy), and my personal phrase that best describes our defence force: "I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it." – Aaron Sorkin (A Few Good Men)

Regards,

RLI

PMC
26th August 2013, 10:48 AM
G'day fellow ex and current serving members of our fantastic defence force!

Please remember this statement! I was shocked to here this came from our Prime Minster!

Regards,

RLI

Media Release

Senator the Hon Michael Ronaldson
Shadow Minister for Veterans' Affairs
Wednesday 21 August 2013

Kevin Rudd must respond to allegations that he threatened our military veterans

Kevin Rudd must immediately respond to disturbing claims made on radio this morning that he threatened veterans during a meeting in Canberra six weeks ago.

According to an interview on 4BC radio earlier today, Mr Rudd is alleged to have told veterans that any criticism of Labor’s 11th hour, half-baked unfair military superannuation indexation policy would result in them getting ‘nothing’.

Respected national spokesman for the Fair Go campaign, Air Vice Marshal Peter Criss (Ret’d) told 4BC Brisbane this morning that Mr Rudd said:

“Don’t bag us. Because if you bag us, we’ll pull up the drawbridge and you’ll get nothing.”

Mr Rudd needs to explain urgently whether he made such threatening and disrespectful remarks to Australia’s military veterans who have selflessly put their lives on the line in the service of their country.

Media Contact: Robert Hardie 0418 432 909

NP99
26th August 2013, 11:33 AM
It would not surprise me Paul. That idiot Mike Kelly is also talking climate change - he said our snowy mountains will turn into a desert! What part of outer space does he reside in. Heaven help us if he gets the defence minister job!!!

NP99
26th August 2013, 11:38 AM
What sex is the kangaroo on the skippy badge?

Drew
26th August 2013, 02:53 PM
The milky bar kid has no idea. What a muppet !

Drew
26th August 2013, 02:54 PM
It would not surprise me Paul. That idiot Mike Kelly is also talking climate change - he said our snowy mountains will turn into a desert! What part of outer space does he reside in. Heaven help us if he gets the defence minister job!!!

Now he takes the cake, what an idiot. Politicians say some stupid sh#t but geez !!!