PDA

View Full Version : Diff breathers, Are they needed in a patrol

janderson
30th September 2012, 06:47 PM
Please correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t the breathers from the front Diff, transfer & gear box go to engine bay in patrols anyway. The rear diffs one go’s to a round sealed tube above the diff. So why dose a patrol need aftermarket breathers.

growler2058
30th September 2012, 08:02 PM
They need to be higher up mate that's all, standard is too low for serious water/mud crossings

Double Tap

janderson
1st October 2012, 05:41 PM
Isn’t the tubes coming up from under the vehicle that go into the guard under the bonnet, kerb side under windscreen the breathers outlet.

Irvs
1st October 2012, 06:05 PM
Yeah but most blokes get them up even higher than that, usually after a lift kit has gone in especially when a body lift has and they also put some sort of filter on the end to stop water getting in, mine have wipper snipper fuel filters on the end and come up just below the bonnet in front of the passenger side of engine bay.

snewin
1st October 2012, 09:09 PM
anyone got a piccie where the location of this is? I can't seem to fine mine...

threedogs
1st October 2012, 09:44 PM
What do you need pic of??????

megatexture
1st October 2012, 09:51 PM
just get some fuel hose and a 2$ fuel filter and replace the lot to the top of the engine bay front and back will cost like 20-30$ you will need a t piece if you want to share one filter for both

BigRAWesty
1st October 2012, 09:57 PM
6mm I'd fuel hose isn't it??

Sent from a device which doesn't always agree with my thumbs...

threedogs
1st October 2012, 10:02 PM
Yeah not that clear rubbish, make sure its away from exhaust ,sharp edges, leave enough hose for full flex then some.
heaps of cable ties,trim flush with knife not plyers
Yes 6mm ID

megatexture
1st October 2012, 10:03 PM
just check whats on the diff but i think that would be right when you go to the auto shop just rip out the rear one and take it in if you have to that one comes out easily

janderson
3rd October 2012, 04:53 PM
Here some pic. Should show Nissans breathers for the front diff, transfer & gear box. The rear diff breathers go into a round tube, don’t know if its sealed or not. My G60 & MQ were both setup like this. So again, why redo the breathers. If any, maybe the rear diff is the only one that needs to be done. Looking forward to seeing your views.

threedogs
3rd October 2012, 05:09 PM
I was told front was ok and just do the rear, but as I had a spare manifold and teflon tubing
I've done front and rear only,at this stage, the rest I'll do when more mobile.

Lieney
10th October 2012, 08:52 PM
just get some fuel hose and a 2$ fuel filter and replace the lot to the top of the engine bay front and back will cost like 20-30$ you will need a t piece if you
want to share one filter for both
Those little filters are gold. Used them on another 4x4 before my Pootrol
I got hold of some plastic air line from a truck with an OD about 6.5mm (ID maybe 4-5mm) or something.
Cut the hose at the diff breather, allowing about 30-40mm and jammed the end of the plastic air line in it about 20mm. It was a really tight squeeze.
Then ran the air line up through the chassis to the firewall, allowing for flex etc.
I got it for free, so the price was right, but it might be worth while comparing the price of plastic air line with fuel hose if you are as tight as me.
The plastic air line can withstand decent heat etc so I was happy with that

Lieney
10th October 2012, 08:53 PM
I was told front was ok and just do the rear, but as I had a spare manifold and teflon tubing
I've done front and rear only,at this stage, the rest I'll do when more mobile.

you should sell kits for this.
It looks nice and is a 4x4 accessory, so it could fetch a decent price.
Mbrs discounts?? LOL