PDA

View Full Version : Rd28t hard to start when cold ( don't think it's glow plugs )

zzzzed
29th September 2012, 03:02 PM
Hi guys I did a quick search and nothing came up so I thought I would ask.
As the title says. I am having cold start issues in my 99 gu patrol. I have done a continuity test to each glow plug and all came up fine. I thought I would pull them out and put 12 volts
To each one. I dipped the hot end of each one in oil to see if it burned off and again each one was fine.
Are these tests conclusive that my glow plugs are working fine?
I also checked that I had 12 v at the terminal that goes to the glow plug rail.
What else could be causing my cold start issue. It runs like a dream once started. It's done roughly 250'000 Kim's.
thanx
Mick

Petit caillou
29th September 2012, 03:26 PM
Hi Mick,

Welcome to the forum mate, you have to introduce yourself here

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?2-Introductions

before posting.

For your start probleme car you ear the relays switching ? does your fuel filter clean ?

Regards
petit caillou.

growler2058
29th September 2012, 03:42 PM
G'day mate welcome aboard jump over to the intros when ya got a chance mate and say g'day something we ask all members to do
Not real sure with the 2.8 but maybe fuel pump timing??

Double Tap

zzzzed
29th September 2012, 04:07 PM
Sorry guys I thought I already introduced my self as I signed up a while ago. I guess my post count says other wise. Any how I have done some Thurber testing of the plugs and have foundd they they are only glowing red from the base of the plug to half way down the element and the tip is not glowing at All so maybe they are no good after all they also take around 10 seconds before the glow at all. This test was done with a pair of jumper leads to a 12v 4x4 battery

Petit caillou
29th September 2012, 04:15 PM
ok for everything, but if the relay does not send the message, your test is just to check that the glow plug is good. The problem lies elsewhere.

regards
Petit cailllou/

zzzzed
29th September 2012, 04:58 PM
I tested the signal and am getting 12.4 vaults and the buzz bar connection for around 15 to 20 seconds

threedogs
29th September 2012, 06:51 PM
X 2 with Growler there is a fuel pump kit at Nissbizz for $45 au. I just sent one to member in the UK
Hope he's online and can sort it out

the ferret
29th September 2012, 07:11 PM
The advance plate modification should help with hot AND cold starts, it did with mine.
Cheers, the ferret.

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/004-3.jpg

I made my own, but Nizzbits can get them for you.

P4trol
29th September 2012, 11:41 PM
To each one. I dipped the hot end of each one in oil to see if it burned off and again each one was fine.
Mick

(I'm no mechanic) What is this supposed to test?

the ferret
30th September 2012, 01:45 AM
It's just a test to see if they work, they either work,........................................or they don't, if they get hot, they are working, like a light globe, work, or don't.
Cheers, the ferret.