PDA

View Full Version : VMS satellite navagation unit.

Coldcomfort
28th September 2012, 07:26 PM
http://www.vms4x4.com/collections/portable-navigation/products/7506-nissan

Has anybody installed one of these? Just wondering what you think of it?

threedogs
28th September 2012, 07:32 PM
Do you really need to spend $2000, my in dash job has the lot uses VMS gps or iGo software and cost only $350
I did have VMS touring so thats how I know, mine is double din, has everything except diagnostics

Coldcomfort
28th September 2012, 07:43 PM
Not too bothered about the price. I will be including it (if they are any good) into the novated lease. It will also have the reverse camera installed.

threedogs
28th September 2012, 07:55 PM
do you have maps for everywhere? if yes all is good VMS are one of the better going around.
most here would install if cashed up, what else do they do, GPS,reverse, am/fm??

paulyg
28th September 2012, 08:51 PM
I just put an Alpine unit in mine with off road gps, very high quality unit with fantastic sound, I am going on a trip to the Flinders Rangers and Lake eyre very soon so I will how good the off road mapping is.

Coldcomfort
28th September 2012, 09:01 PM
One of the features they talk about is:
"Installation has just got a lot easier, with the included plug n play wiring harness there is absolutely no need to splice into any wires. The included loom connects straight from your vehicle straight to our unit. It's that easy."

I like the idea of no cut/spliced/butchered wires in the dash...... And it does do off road maps.

megatexture
28th September 2012, 09:19 PM
musnt have a reverse sensor/camera if its plug and play? can you plot tracks with it or just waypoints

oncedisturbed
28th September 2012, 11:08 PM
Even on novated lease I wouldnt wate the money on it. My GU is novated and as others have mentioned, look at other in dash units for less that 1/4 the price and work better

Tap, Tap Taparoo

paulyg
28th September 2012, 11:11 PM
You can get plug and play harness for almost any head unit these days, no more cutting.

Coldcomfort
28th September 2012, 11:15 PM
Even on novated lease I wouldnt wate the money on it. My GU is novated and as others have mentioned, look at other in dash units for less that 1/4 the price and work better

Tap, Tap Taparoo

The method in my madness here is that if the dealer installs it they will cover it on a 3 year warranty.... I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. I had a look at the Alpine unit mentioned above and might consider that as well.

adventurepaul
28th September 2012, 11:28 PM
Ive been using the ebay $300 2DIN GPS units for 5 years now, they are great. Totally up to you but its a 6" screen not 7" and 6 times more expensive for the same thing i have. I would put the $2000 in a chip and exhaust! Better bang for buck and resale.

megatexture
28th September 2012, 11:31 PM
You can get plug and play harness for almost any head unit these days, no more cutting.think you missed my point

MudRunnerTD
29th September 2012, 01:08 AM
Ive been using the ebay $300 2DIN GPS units for 5 years now, they are great. Totally up to you but its a 6" screen not 7" and 6 times more expensive for the same thing i have. I would put the $2000 in a chip and exhaust! Better bang for buck and resale.

100% Agree! Its a No Brainer. The Myth that only the $2000 unit is up to the task is no so mate, there are literally 1000s of guys running the double din ebay special in their GUs for $350 to $500 a piece plug and play! Bugger the dealer warranty on that mate, you could replace it 4 times in the 3 years ans still be better off and have a 1" bigger screen to boot ;)

Go the Chip and Exhaust for that coin in a heart beat.

paulyg
29th September 2012, 10:04 AM
HI Megatexture, I was replying to op thread about plug and play harness and just pionting out that you can get them for almost anything.

megatexture
29th September 2012, 10:28 AM
no worries mate i was meaning the reverse wont be plug an play

oncedisturbed
29th September 2012, 11:40 AM
No offence but the in dash VMS / Polaris etc type "genuine" units are not worth the coin, there warranty is crap regardless of 3 years etc. I know several people hat thought the same way and found out the hard way that they were a waste of coin.

They constantly freeze up while being used and overheat, screen does black out, GPS receiver is not very accurate as in upto 3-400m out, very little in the way of updates available.

I was looking at doings the same for my package until reading up the reviews etc and the novated company steered us away as well as they have had nothing but dramas from them

Coldcomfort
29th September 2012, 03:24 PM
No offence but the in dash VMS / Polaris etc type "genuine" units are not worth the coin, there warranty is crap regardless of 3 years etc. I know several people hat thought the same way and found out the hard way that they were a waste of coin.

They constantly freeze up while being used and overheat, screen does black out, GPS receiver is not very accurate as in upto 3-400m out, very little in the way of updates available.

I was looking at doings the same for my package until reading up the reviews etc and the novated company steered us away as well as they have had nothing but dramas from them

Thanks, thats the kind of feed back I was hoping for. The Alpine unit looks pretty good. Any feed back on those would be greatly appreciated.

paulyg
29th September 2012, 03:53 PM
I have had the Alpine unit for about a month. Sound quality is amazing, when you compare the specs to the ebay ones you can see why. No problems so far, GPS works great.
I did have a look at the VMS and Eclipse and ebay ones but sound quality was also very inportant to me, that's why I went with the Alpine unit.

Coldcomfort
29th September 2012, 07:09 PM
I have had the Alpine unit for about a month. Sound quality is amazing, when you compare the specs to the ebay ones you can see why. No problems so far, GPS works great.
I did have a look at the VMS and Eclipse and ebay ones but sound quality was also very inportant to me, that's why I went with the Alpine unit.

Having just bought a pair of Martin Logan Montis electrostatic speakers for my lounge room I guess I am in the same boat. Sound quality is very important to me. Did you install it yourself? Was it very hard to do?

Cheers, Brian.

paulyg
29th September 2012, 07:37 PM
Yes did the install myself, not difficult, but I allso installed an amp, running the power and speaker wire was a pain in the ass but well woth it.
I allso used Alpine Type R 6.5 inch speakers front and rear, fitted in the doors no problem.