PDA

View Full Version : Too many lights??

NQ42GU
28th September 2012, 05:00 PM
Gday all,

I have just installed a pair of these.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/55W-2-PCS-7-HID-XENON-DRIVING-SPOTLIGHTS-OFF-ROAD-Lights-/230838313049?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35bf092059#ht_2018wt_952

firstly has any one had any experience with these?? I bought them because a mate who lives up the cape has them on his Hilux and he flogs it all over the place and he reckons they were really good for the price.

Now i am thinking of putting a LED light bar between the spotties. Something like this.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20-x-3W-LED-High-Power-Light-Bar-Work-Lamp-4000-Lm-White-10yrs-Warranty-12V-24V-/300784792640?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item46082bb440#ht_5569wt_1186

Has anyone had any experience with these.

And most importantly, will putting a light bar between the spotties not allow enough air to the radiator.

I have the 05 4.2ti model with a snorkel and 3" exhaust.

Thanks for any help.

megatexture
28th September 2012, 05:55 PM
stick a bit of cardboard over the grill same size of the light bar and go for a drive or tow something up some long hills if you can in the middle of the day then you will know.you can get 3,5 and 10 watt led light bars also so shop around.as for the spotties they are good value but you do get what you pay for but i would rather a cheap set of hid then a quality set of halogen thats for sure

threedogs
28th September 2012, 06:26 PM
Those HID spotties are fine , but can't see much advantage with the light bar.
How you gunna use this set up??
As for overheating IMO you'll be fine as lights are only 7"
Save your money and put the light bar on the roof, more effective
I have 240 watt light bar on roof

megatexture
28th September 2012, 06:53 PM
that bar would look like a work light on a roof rack to small

threedogs
28th September 2012, 07:58 PM
Could mount that Bar facing rear wards or sideways and use as a set up/work light

IMO too small for off road work

megatexture
28th September 2012, 08:56 PM
you would need two then would be ok for offroad slow work

4by
28th September 2012, 09:23 PM
The spoties are awesone for the price. I have the same. THe only prob with hid is they take a while to warm up and work so it wont give you immediate light. If u know what i mean.:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

megatexture
28th September 2012, 09:55 PM
yea mine take like 20 seconds to hit full light but at start up would be like the equivilant to a small light bar

NQ42GU
28th September 2012, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the replies all,

I tried the HID's tonight and am pretty happy with them. The only problem I have found is that the correct setting seems to be between notches if you know what I mean. 1 notch points them too much at the ground and the next notch points them in the air too much.
I ordered both spot beams as well and they seem very spread?? they light a lot of the road up directly on front of the rig so I don't think I'll worry about the light bar.

I'll get them adjusted properly and make a better judgement after I've used them for a while.

Thanks again,

Andy

oncedisturbed
28th September 2012, 11:06 PM
I havent got HID'a but normal 175 narvas and a 73w 12" lightbar inberween and it works fine, no overheating

Tap, Tap Taparoo

4by
29th September 2012, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the replies all,

I tried the HID's tonight and am pretty happy with them. The only problem I have found is that the correct setting seems to be between notches if you know what I mean. 1 notch points them too much at the ground and the next notch points them in the air too much.
I ordered both spot beams as well and they seem very spread?? they light a lot of the road up directly on front of the rig so I don't think I'll worry about the light bar.

I'll get them adjusted properly and make a better judgement after I've used them for a while.

Thanks again,

Andy

Hey Andy I think if you undo the base bolt you can rotate the base quarter turn to angle the lights better. Basically instead of it going side to side you make that part tilt forwarding back. Hard to eplain but have a look and you might get an idea of what I mean.

threedogs
29th September 2012, 12:42 AM
Because HID are so bright these days I don't worry about the spread beam and run two 9" spot'
If I require spread I just flick the 240 watt light bar. bummer they dont throw the light out further.

megatexture
29th September 2012, 01:10 AM
nq42gu just check the reflector is smooth all the way round and not stepped maybe they got your order wrong
Damn that is an ugly light 3dogs haha. also a lot of the 9" internal ballast spots don’t fit as they hit the grill

NQ42GU
29th September 2012, 07:55 AM
Thats a great idea 4bto ill have another go tonight.

threedogs
29th September 2012, 08:17 AM
They only cost me $50 each, plus I change lights all the time, these I've changed to 100 watt hid 6000k very bright.
still have 6 x 4' hids from the roof lying around after a brought the light bar. waiting on some bits at the moment for
another set I have. these pic may show difference between spot/spread
spread is left pic

megatexture
29th September 2012, 09:52 AM
your lights spread due to the lense the other lights have a flat clear lense and spread due to the reflector you can see the diffrence on the ebay photos

1st pic is a spot
4th pic is a spread

threedogs
29th September 2012, 11:17 AM
If you have the factory bar, you don't get much room for lights,thats for sure.
My bar is the T16 TJM outback and matching side steps

NQ42GU
29th September 2012, 01:28 PM
I have the factory steel bar, they fit no worries, they definitely both spot beams,

Ill have a muck around with them again tonight,

threedogs
29th September 2012, 01:38 PM
My other set of 9", lights adjust like yours, you'll find you can get them spot on.
they seem to sit on the ridge not in it from what I've found,
You'll figure it out,

MEGOMONSTER
29th September 2012, 05:39 PM
You can never haver too much lights.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/09/112.jpg

Sent from the secret chambers of our secret society, on a secret iPhone, with a secret pin code and eye retina scanning from a secret peep hole, just don't tell anyone OK, cos it's secret........

megatexture
29th September 2012, 11:11 PM
you need to convert them to hid then you will be happy !

megatexture
29th September 2012, 11:14 PM
id be surprised if you had an issue with 7" lights fitting