PDA

View Full Version : fusible link

Rustyboner81
28th September 2012, 04:26 PM
hi all my fusible link is cactus.
i changed it out with an inline fuse, 25Amp which blows as soon as the engine is running.
with no fuse i have power on both sides of fuse so it obvious to me that i have a short.

the link comes off the positive battery post and then splits into 4 white wires.

i was hoping that someone could tell me where they go.

when i get home from work in 2 weeks im going to split the 4 wires and see which one has power, then connect them all up except that one. (at the moment even though its not connected to the battery theres power coming back up one of the wires and supplying power to the others...i think)

any info or advise, electric is my weakest point
rb30 engine

Russ

Yendor
7th October 2012, 04:33 PM
Hi Russ,

Old thread, not sure if you have it sorted your not.

Why is your fusible link cactus? did it blow or just corroded?

The 25amp fuse is too low, you will need around 40 or 50amps.

Not sure why you have power to both sides of the fuse when it's blown unless the engine was running and the alternator was charging.

The white wires will go to your alternator and fuse box.

Lieney
8th October 2012, 08:33 PM
Agree with Yendor that 25A is far too low.
Establish the rating of the existing fuseable link. This will give you the correct size fuse / link size you will require.

Fuse wire, fuses and circuit breakers blow / trigger at the rating stated on them, or at that current.
Don't up-size fuses / circuit breakers etc when they blow as they protect wiring and components from letting the smoke out.
If you got voltage at both ends of the fuse / fuseable link, I'd be having a look around because that should not be happening when engine is off.

Rustyboner81
29th October 2012, 11:25 AM
turned out the alternator that was on there was a 50amp but the rb30's are supposed to be 70amp
so i changed that and put an massive inline fuse with a 60amp fuse and an 80amp spare.

worked a treat