PDA

View Full Version : Gq front wheel bearings

jamied
27th September 2012, 09:33 AM
After a drive in the new patrol the other day I did a few checks and the front wheel bearings seemed hot to touch. Does this suggest the bearing are due to be replaced? I've never done it before so any advice or instructions would be appreciated. Cheers

threedogs
27th September 2012, 10:38 AM
Hubs normally get hot/warm. best if you jack one wheel up, grab top and bottom of tyre and see if you can feel any play. top and bottom for bearings
If there is play check the other side. change both at the same time.

Wine_maker
27th September 2012, 01:41 PM
If hubs are very hot, it shows that they not serviced long time. May be you should to add oil and make some service works?

Big Tuna
28th September 2012, 08:18 AM
My hubs got pretty warm last weekend on a big trek. Opened them up and the grease was all thin, black and broken down, the bearings seemed ok but I replaced them anyhow and repacked them with marine grease along with the hubs. It's not a hard or expensive job and is well worth doing. Last time I neglected this it costed me just over a grand for new stub axles and towing.. Obviously it wasn't a patrol lol

threedogs
28th September 2012, 08:54 AM
Remember guys the rotor will make the hubs very hot if you have been driving/braking hard.

stets
28th September 2012, 09:16 AM
Patrols have a nasty habit if the brake caliper seizing slightly on. A bit of rust or crap caught on the slide rails is the reason. Having your brakes stuck on slightly will make your hub almost too hot to touch

Tap,tap,tapping in your head

jamied
28th September 2012, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the advice. I guess it's worth replacing them then. Even if thats not actually whats causing the heat it can't hurt. Is there anything I can do to stop crap getting in and causing the caliper to stick on? What part is the slide rails? I'll check that out while the wheels off. Thanks again

mudnut
11th October 2012, 10:51 AM
My hubs got pretty warm last weekend on a big trek. Opened them up and the grease was all thin, black and broken down, the bearings seemed ok but I replaced them anyhow and repacked them with marine grease along with the hubs. It's not a hard or expensive job and is well worth doing. Last time I neglected this it costed me just over a grand for new stub axles and towing.. Obviously it wasn't a patrol lol

Has anyone bought the seal and Japanese bearing kit offered for sale on this forum?
If so, how has it performed? I'm asking, because I've had an after market seal on my van fail recently.

MudRunnerTD
11th October 2012, 11:19 AM
Has anyone bought the seal and Japanese bearing kit offered for sale on this forum?
If so, how has it performed? I'm asking, because I've had an after market seal on my van fail recently.

Hey Mudnut have you got a link to the kit for sale here? Sorry cant be shagged going looking for it as you know where to find it ;)

mudnut
11th October 2012, 08:27 PM
Hey Mudnut have you got a link to the kit for sale here? Sorry cant be shagged going looking for it as you know where to find it ;)

Mate, I'm sorry, but getting links and stuff to work is beyond me. I'll have to get one of the kids to spoon feed me on how to do it. :-(

Nissan Patrol GQ GR Y60 swivel kit with wheel bearings king pin knuckle seal.
Online auto parts (65833) $199.00

Bloodyaussie
11th October 2012, 08:37 PM
I got my discs machined today by a mobile service and the bloke said my right bearing need nipping up so I started to pull it apart to adjust and could not figure it out... I was in a rush by this stage so could not look into it properly and it differs from my old Hilux.

I need a rebuild kit and bearings soon so am interested myself in kits??

choochie
12th October 2012, 12:01 AM
I ordered the swivel hub kit from roadrunner offroad and will swap it out next weekend. My hubs get very hot so good timing to do everything at the same time.

oilpond
12th October 2012, 06:33 AM
I would have never thought to use marine grease but it makes sence but will marine grease hold upto the same miles as its for trailers mostly(right?)

mudnut
12th October 2012, 10:05 AM
I ordered the swivel hub kit from roadrunner offroad and will swap it out next weekend. My hubs get very hot so good timing to do everything at the same time.

Has anybody fitted a road runner kit? How has it stood up to wear and tear? The kit from auto parts online is a hell of a lot cheaper than what my local auto shop quoted. It's getting harder to find genuinely good quality. I've even had a pair of rear bearings on a smaller car last only 1500-2000 kilometres. Got my money back, but still...

Bloodyaussie
12th October 2012, 10:51 AM
I have used a cheaper ebay kit and found it inferior and seals leaked after a short period , may be ok if not 4wding and only driving on the road???

mudnut
13th October 2012, 05:37 PM
I have used a cheaper ebay kit and found it inferior and seals leaked after a short period , may be ok if not 4wding and only driving on the road???

was that the auto on line kit?

choochie
16th October 2012, 12:21 AM
I've been recommended to get genuine inner axle seals as they are usually the first things to go. Around $20 ea so will get some before next weekend's job.

JonnoD
31st October 2012, 11:28 AM
$20 is not to bad considering if you cheap out it can cost you a heap more

XT43
20th May 2013, 07:26 PM
Bit of a thread dig, I'm in the market for some front wheel bearings for my GQ and after a bit of digging found these

http://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au/Wheel-Bearing-kit-Drivetech4x4-motospecs-DT-WBK13-NISSAN-PATROL-GQ-Y60-GU-Y61-FORD-MAVERICK.html

As a few posts above, has anyone any feedback or recommendations as and alternative. Seller says made in Japan so that's a good start I would have thought...

NP99
20th May 2013, 08:07 PM
I bought mine from online.....they are the real deal. You won't have problems with this kit.

XT43
20th May 2013, 08:08 PM
Just what I needed to know!

Cheers.

Morton
22nd May 2013, 06:47 PM
I would have never thought to use marine grease but it makes sence but will marine grease hold upto the same miles as its for trailers mostly(right?)

wouldnt do it mate, it doesnt protect the bearings enough for an extended period unless your into repacking them every 6 months, certainly never use them in your CV's EVER, NEVER EVER

Morton
22nd May 2013, 06:53 PM
the terrain tamer & roadrunner kits are ok but some dont come with wheel bearings, go jap bearings & any seal for the bearings, neither here nor there, but the diff oil seal must be genuine, keep the others in the box for emergencies only, any shims you pull out be sure to refit them in exactly the same place, top or bottom, buy your bearings from the local bearing shop, they will have a kit as it is still very common, be sure it is jap though, retension everything to spec & Bobs your relative

Matty_D
3rd June 2013, 06:28 PM
I have done mine recently,

is a bit of a mission, one thing to be aware of when you do it, make sure your inner seals ( Axel Seals ) dont need replacing, and also the kinpins, i did all of it when i did the bearings, it was about a 500$$ opertation but the confidence it gives knowing its all new is good, and make sure to grease it all when your doing it. if you need any info or you get stuck simply flick me an email and always happy to help and guidance.