PDA

View Full Version : Canary under the bonnet

Cuppa
25th September 2012, 10:53 PM
For quite some time there has been a loud squeaking under the bonnet with the engine running, sometimes lessening a bit once hot, but never going away.

I had thought it was a bearing on the way out, perhaps a belt tensioner, but today I tried the old 'bit of soap on the fanbelt trick' & the noise disappeared almost instantly & as yet has not returned (80kms)

Having gone into town to a workshop to pick up a new starter battery I took the opportunity to mention this to the mechanic & to enquire if this was evidence that my fan belt was knackered & needed replacing.
He reckoned that all Patrols are bad for this, something about the design of one of the pulleys that allows the belt to sit more deeply in it. He reckoned that I could put on a new belt & it would still make the noise adding that he invariably knew when a Patrol pulled up on his forecourt without looking, just from the belt noise.

Was he correct?

Cuppa

nissannewby
25th September 2012, 11:06 PM
Sounds a bit far fetched to me. Worn belts will make a noise sometimes they can look ok but have started to go hard from under bonnet temps. I would just replace all your belts being sure to use the correct section sized belts. Wrong size belts for the pulleys will shorten the life of the belt. Belts running on pulleys is as old as time and doubt that the pulley design would be at fault.

Winnie
26th September 2012, 06:57 AM
Never heard that one. Mine doesn't squeak.

Tip tap tippity tip tappity tap tap ding dong tipsy topsy wopsy mopsy tippy tap tap tipitty wee

choppie
27th September 2012, 10:35 PM
Cheep insurance!!!!!!! Replace belts and not a common problem with trols.

Morton
27th September 2012, 11:27 PM
it is actually more common in the 3L GU's, replace the belt but go genuine, after market can be slightly smaller or bigger & it is more common in these belts, new genuine will fix it

Cuppa
1st October 2012, 09:45 PM
Thanks folks. What's involved in changing over the belt? Does much need to be removed to get access?

Cuppa. ♨

threedogs
1st October 2012, 09:57 PM
release tension by loosening alternator, air con,power steering adjusting bolts. re tension using large screw driver holdind tension as you re tighten all the bolts
11mm deflection seems like a good average

nissannewby
1st October 2012, 10:08 PM
All the belts should have adjustment bolts so a screw driver shouldnt be necessary. Just loosen all as 3dogs stated and remove them over the fan put new ones on and tensions. I would recheck the tension after about 1000km. And the deflection that 3dogs is talking about should be taken at the longest gap between pulleys.

Alitis007
2nd October 2012, 11:38 AM
The noise is the belt has gone hard reason beeing that fan belts of today are made with silicon not rubber! Under bonnet temps and even water splashing on them can make them noisy and changing them isn't hard as said above the should be adjustment bolts on either alt, a/c and power sterring pump or an adjusting pulley system if its useing V belts or multi ribbed belts unless the motor has a serpintine belt where it will have a spring loaded tentioner. If you do have a go to change them when the belts are off, spin the idler pulleys and listen for noise and also rotate them by hand slowly to feel if they ar knotty. Also they will need to be re tentioned after a few days of use because they will stretch a little with heat, 10kg or firm thumb pressure down on the longest side as said by nissannewby is the correct adjustment or as said above by 3dogs 11mm of travel will do.

threedogs
2nd October 2012, 12:22 PM
Hi Newby that was a quote from the manual, Not me, Just to clear it up

nissannewby
2nd October 2012, 12:30 PM
Yeah mate I understood. Im pretty sure cuppa has an 06 TD42Ti or atleast a TD42 GU ute. So was just commenting on what his should be like its not to say that a screw driver wont be needed its just less likely. I wasnt having a dig mate. Good to see you still around.

threedogs
2nd October 2012, 12:49 PM
knew its not a dig and you're right my manual has all motors I only quoted one not knowing what Cuppa had but would think tightening a belt would be
basic to all motors, not getting rid of me that easy mate LOL . He has a weird dog named Gloria

Cuppa
3rd October 2012, 08:31 PM
Thanks folks, I'd say that the belt having gone hard is exactly what's happened. Will get a new one & have a go at fitting it soon.

regards
Cuppa & Gloria (& Nibbles, Sloobie, Hazel & & Blue)

threedogs
3rd October 2012, 08:49 PM
Hey Cuppa might be the go to change all belts and hoses with the warmer weather approaching.
then you'll know where you are,Also fitted my dimmer, works a treat. I can move it to any camp light I want.
check my awning led thread

MEGOMONSTER
6th October 2012, 01:53 PM
Canary under the bonnet. Better than in your air intake/snorkel.

Sent from the secret chambers of our secret society, on a secret iPhone, with a secret pin code and eye retina scanning from a secret peep hole, just don't tell anyone OK, cos it's secret........