PDA

View Full Version : Reverse camera position. GU Patrol...

mudski
24th September 2012, 03:28 PM
Just wanting to know where others have put the reverse camera on their GU wagon. I have mounted mine on the underside of the rear step right above the tow bar. But it seems too close and the view is not too good. My only other place I can think of to mount it is on the roof rack.
I don't know how it would go being mounted offset under the black housing where the number plate lights are too. Its a PITA having two rear doors not the same size...

Cheers.

Squalo
24th September 2012, 05:15 PM
Inside the big barn door, directly under the high level brakelight?

mudski
24th September 2012, 05:39 PM
Hmm. I'm might try that but I dunno how it will go with 10% tinted windows.

Thanks.

megatexture
24th September 2012, 05:54 PM
stuck mine up under the handle above the licence plate on the small door then its got a bit of a roof on it also

mudski
24th September 2012, 08:00 PM
How does it look being offset to the centre of the car?

megatexture
24th September 2012, 08:15 PM
i agree the roof rack would be best but may be more effort then its worth, where mine is i can just see the hitch(easy for hooking a trailer) and more then enough distance behind me. keep in mind these cameras do have a wider view then your normal camera

mudski
24th September 2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks mate. I'll try that out too. I gotta stop touch parking...

megatexture
24th September 2012, 09:05 PM
can you hook it up and use some duct tape to hold it in place and move it around so you can see what spot best suits you

mudski
24th September 2012, 09:11 PM
thats what I'll be doing i think...

happygu
24th September 2012, 09:17 PM
The factory position on mine is to the passenger side of the number plate light on the small barn door.

It isn't too bad with the factory camera, and gives you great vision, but you can see it is off centre. If I was installing it myself I would try to mount it to the drivers side of the handle on the same door, as it is closer to the centre of the vehicle.

Mic

happygu
24th September 2012, 09:18 PM
Squalo,

How does it go through the glass as the rear windows get dirty at the drop of a hat......

Mic

megatexture
24th September 2012, 09:23 PM
putting to far centre will more then likely pick up a blind spot from the spare also

bad055
8th November 2012, 11:15 AM
I placed mine just above the roof gutter with a plumbing elbow over it to protect it. its in the center so it gives a good view and looks good with the cover over it. it ment drilling a hole in the roof for the wires to go but im happy with that. its a neat patrol but if ya cant drill and cut things on it, ya not gunna go bashing through the bush in it are ya? and whats the point in having a 4x4 if ya too scared to get a few scratches on it? lol. but it give a great view and its outa the way up there.

Alitis007
8th November 2012, 01:50 PM
I mounted mine on the small door in the cavity to the drivers side of the handle 22208 22209 its good enough to see whats behind plus you can just about see everything on ur drivers side and i didn't have to drill anything just have to cut and glue the grommet for the number plate looms

threedogs
22nd August 2013, 02:54 PM
@ alitis ,Yo bud how have you found your reverse camera and how have you wired it.
got all these different style cameras but having trouble figuring out where to mount it.
I think Ive found a good spot , but suppose just need someone else who has a camera in the same position.
I'll hold off till you're over next and see what you think. in the meantime I'll mount front camera and LED pencil bar.

What about fixing it to the rear plastic wind deflector on the roof perfect position IMO

megatexture
22nd August 2013, 04:52 PM
Same place mine is alitis, good spot for hitching a trailer.

Drew
22nd August 2013, 05:26 PM
I'm with TD :)

Alitis007
23rd August 2013, 01:51 AM
@ alitis ,Yo bud how have you found your reverse camera and how have you wired it.
got all these different style cameras but having trouble figuring out where to mount it.
I think Ive found a good spot , but suppose just need someone else who has a camera in the same position.
I'll hold off till you're over next and see what you think. in the meantime I'll mount front camera and LED pencil bar.

I wired it to the head unit mate and picked up the reverse wire from the kick panel so soon as i put it in reverse the screen instantly shows whats behind. I like it there coz i can see between my tail lights what i can see with the mirrors like everyone has said for hitching up the trailer but also for parking.

threedogs
23rd August 2013, 02:12 PM
@ cuppa you were right out of the three cameras I've got two are infra red and very good quality the third is just a 130 deg pin hole camera which is now in the bin very grainy indeed .

Now I've found a spot to mount it but its on the middle of the rear step just above the towbar, is this no good cause it'll get dirty all the time.. Also seems most have wired these direct
as in if required you just flick a toggle switch. It appears I'll have to use the head unit as not really anywhere to put a 3.5 in screen. Its doing my head in as I cant see how by selecting reverse
if that's my power source the screen will come on, might need to take some meds and go to a happy place for a while, tap tap tap it in, oh happy place lol
Hitching my camper is no drama as trailer is same width as patrol , just line up evenly with mirrors and reverse slowly till I'm there.

just reading all this again and no one is really happy where the camera is, seems up high and central is the go.

Cuppa
23rd August 2013, 02:30 PM
If I were you I'd consider placing the camera up high so you can see over the trailer, otherwise it will be pretty useless when reversing with the trailer on. I suppose it depends on why you want a reversing camera. If primarily for use without the trailer as an aid to seeing little kiddies, puppies & tree stumps low is ok.

I think there is usually a connection to the reversing light (terminal on gearbox) to trigger the camera's on switch with power supply from elsewhere. Multi core cable with din plugs usually supplies power to both camera & monitor in my experience.

Cuppa

threedogs
23rd August 2013, 02:44 PM
Thanks Hooking up the trailer is easy , but vision to stop you running over things and god forbid ppl is more what I want.
I re read the thread a few times and most just want to see towball, I;ve sent some emails
to try and get and answer, thanks again , Might make a alloy housing and using double sided tape
stick camera inside housing to the centre position of rear doors up the top, sort of like a cup pull on an old drawer

Cuppa
23rd August 2013, 03:03 PM
Just seeing the towball & the front of your trailer won't help to avoid backing the trailer over something you'd rather not.
Up high, or another camera on the back of the trailer! ;)

Whether you mount it as you suggest , or inside the window depends on which you want to wipe. Both will get dirty or covered in rain. They are useful, but not perfect. I use mine as rear vision for driving, but only as an addition to the side mirrors, because in crap weather the camera view can be pretty degraded. If only used for reversing I guess a handy rag for wiping the camera or window would be the go, before hitting reverse gear.

threedogs
23rd August 2013, 03:18 PM
My rear wind deflector is U/S ATM so I might mount it there over the weekend and see how it goes,
easier to run the wires too, If it proves ok I'll go buy a new one and fix it more permanently, I'll be using rivnuts
to fix camera to the Perspex, then some holes and cable ties to hold the wires neat, Should get great vision from that height

threedogs
24th August 2013, 11:32 AM
Bumped,,,, as I know a couple are waiting on an out come, Anyway rigged it up and powered the screen and camera via a cig socket.
Plugged it in and found the best spot was in the middle of the rear wind deflector, it showed me the complete back of the Patrol
Plus about 8ft out, During the week or tomorrow I'll put some rivnuts in the deflector to secure the camera, some convoluted tubing and a few cable ties
and the outside is done, I can pick up power from the small lift out panel in cargo area.

megatexture
24th August 2013, 12:07 PM
Mounting it up high wont allow you to see enough behind a trailer unless its a simple box trailer that's empty, if you want to see behind your camper or caravan I'd put a camera on it. Mount the one on the car where you need it for every day driving and like cuppa I've got mine running off accessories best way IMO, when I'm listening to the radio I can't see it but a cd/ or ipad I can see the camera all the time while driving then when you hit reverse it comes on overriding everything.

threedogs
24th August 2013, 12:12 PM
never thought of putting one on the rear of my camper, maybe above the numberplate
On Ebay you can buy the replacement rear number plate light bracket that has camera on it,
but closest I can find is Pathfinder quaisi or similar need to source one for the GR not the GU

megatexture
24th August 2013, 02:44 PM
If you put one on the camper you could just get a wireless unit so there's no cable to get damaged

PMC
24th August 2013, 03:04 PM
stuck mine up under the handle above the licence plate on the small door then its got a bit of a roof on it also

G'day Mego,

I have got a photo to show us please!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
24th August 2013, 03:06 PM
The factory position on mine is to the passenger side of the number plate light on the small barn door.

It isn't too bad with the factory camera, and gives you great vision, but you can see it is off centre. If I was installing it myself I would try to mount it to the drivers side of the handle on the same door, as it is closer to the centre of the vehicle.

Mic

G'day Mick,

Can you take a photo of your set-up to show us please!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
24th August 2013, 03:08 PM
I placed mine just above the roof gutter with a plumbing elbow over it to protect it. its in the center so it gives a good view and looks good with the cover over it. it ment drilling a hole in the roof for the wires to go but im happy with that. its a neat patrol but if ya cant drill and cut things on it, ya not gunna go bashing through the bush in it are ya? and whats the point in having a 4x4 if ya too scared to get a few scratches on it? lol. but it give a great view and its outa the way up there.

G'day bad055,

Can you take a photo of your set-up to show us please!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
24th August 2013, 03:10 PM
I mounted mine on the small door in the cavity to the drivers side of the handle 22208 22209 its good enough to see whats behind plus you can just about see everything on ur drivers side and i didn't have to drill anything just have to cut and glue the grommet for the number plate looms

G'day Alitis007,

Nice one mate!

Regards,

RLI

threedogs
24th August 2013, 04:08 PM
I'll mount mine tomorrow and take a pic of camera position plus what I see on the screen.
I have some GPS ones but PPL said too much interference. Can tell you ,you don't see much from the number plate.
Having been trying this the last few days up high and central is the best bet IMO

Cuppa
24th August 2013, 04:33 PM
My dual camera placement & what I see. Image quality is better than the camera shows plus was taken in dull conditions with sky behind the trees giving a degree of 'glare'. The wide angle camera colour is poor, but I never use it anyway.

Cuppa

PMC
24th August 2013, 04:55 PM
Good onya Cuppa,

Great photos.

Regards,

RLI

threedogs
24th August 2013, 04:56 PM
Yeah but I wouldn't like it like that, For me I want to see across the rear bumper section, more carpark stuff I suppose,
Plus when you figure out the distance compared to the screen marks it would be easier, just noticed yours says stop,
my one only has a grid

megatexture
24th August 2013, 04:57 PM
G'day Mego,

I have got a photo to show us please!

Regards,

RLI

Like a pic of the barn door ?

PMC
24th August 2013, 04:58 PM
Good onya TD,

Regards,

RLI

threedogs
24th August 2013, 05:01 PM
How far from rear of pod is the stop reference ??
I take it that's the camera between the spares ??

Cuppa
24th August 2013, 05:08 PM
3 lines. The red one with stop, when lined up with the front 'wall' of my box trailer puts me in the right position for attaching to the tow ball. When lined up with the back wall of my shed it leaves a couple of feet walkway behind the vehicle. That's with the 60 degree view. If I wanted to I could point the wide angle camera (actually either of them) down to show the tow ball.

Yes that's them between the two spares & above the PA of NISSANPATROL.COM.AU

PMC
24th August 2013, 05:25 PM
Like a pic of the barn door ?

Farken lazy prick! lol,

Get your ass out off those leather seats. lol

Regards,

RLI

threedogs
24th August 2013, 05:35 PM
Great, thanks I'll see what I come up with tomorrow

megatexture
24th August 2013, 06:10 PM
Here's the rear door the Images should flip once selected :1087: the camera could mount to the right and it would go up inside where the licence plate light is.
Ill post a pic of the in car view in a bit also, apologies for being lazy lmao!

FNQGU
24th August 2013, 07:31 PM
Here's the rear door the Images should flip once selected :1087: the camera could mount to the right and it would go up inside where the licence plate light is.

That's where mine is, but I'm not overly happy with it. I seem to get glare at night from the number plate light, and the angle is too wide to be useful for lining up the tow hitch. I'm liking the idea of up high and centred. Two cameras is probably best...but more complicated!

threedogs
25th August 2013, 11:11 AM
Checked out some positions and the best was as we all thought up high and central.
I found under the rear wind deflector is perfect as I have view across the rear and out about 8 ft.
My other idiotic idea is to get another plastic piece on the rear door that says NISSAN PATROL,
I'd like to use the "O" in patrol to hide the camera, I'm stumped until I see more ideas, Cuppa has
the better idea but its a lot easier with the pod, lucky bugger. @ Mudski about can you see through the tint,
not a problem at all and I have limo tint in cargo area,
My son suggested a camera with a toggle lever, food for thought

Edit came across this one searching for reverse cameras, it fits in front Nissan logo

Cuppa
25th August 2013, 12:14 PM
Pink nail polish suits you TD. ;)

threedogs
25th August 2013, 02:08 PM
HHMMmm must remember to use my stunt hands in the future, not a good look.
Think I'm going to use double sided pressure sensitive tape and fix the camera up
on the top of big door. pic to follow just need to change hands lol
To me this looks like the logical spot, and all cables can run down to RH corner

PMC
25th August 2013, 02:12 PM

Thanks mate,

Thats where i will mount my camera.

Regards,

RLI

threedogs
26th August 2013, 02:54 PM
I've sent a few messages overseas requesting that there is a big enough market in
Australia and the UK to warrant making a camera/numberplate light as an all in one unit.
Searching Ebay I found every model known to man except the GU/GR model. They have at least decided to look into it.
I have given them YTD sales figures so hopefully something will be done. fingers crossed

mudski
26th August 2013, 03:56 PM
TD. Go to this thread mate and see post #17 and #18 for pics. Sorry can't post pics up my NAS is in reboot/ repair mode after our power went out...
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?11141-Reverse-Camera-advice-please&p=414180#post414180
The camera is up under the read barn door handle, out of the way and I can easily see the tow bar. I was going to mount it on the step but in clear view, some f*%k knuckle would prolly see it and rip it off. Plus its hooked up to my reverse light switch and also on a separate switch so I can turn it on with the rear light bar whilst NOT in reverse.

threedogs
26th August 2013, 04:00 PM
Yeah saw that and that's what I'm trying to get them to make,
It replaces the numberplate light bracket, so you un clip your OE one,
and clip in the aftermarket one with camera on it

mudski
26th August 2013, 04:13 PM
Whats there to make? The mounting bracket on mine just sits in behind the number plate. I reckon you'll be waiting a long time for someone to make a factory fit unit....
This is the one I bought.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310666166212?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Drew
26th August 2013, 05:33 PM
HHMMmm must remember to use my stunt hands in the future, not a good look.
Think I'm going to use double sided pressure sensitive tape and fix the camera up
on the top of big door. pic to follow just need to change hands lol
To me this looks like the logical spot, and all cables can run down to RH corner

I hear its a good look on a Friday night... Just sayin :)

threedogs
3rd September 2013, 10:55 AM
Just been up to see my friends at JB HiFi about where to mount the camera,
Once you talk to someone who does this all the time makes for interesting listening.
With Cuppas set up its easy and as Mudski says not so easy with rear doors of different sizes.
I'm going to keep looking at different style cameras,
OH and FYI price is about $125 a camera installed.

EDIT JB HiFi have their own style camera that you can mount anyway up then adjust till pic is right side up

MudRunnerTD
3rd September 2013, 11:23 AM
damn! I installed a rear cam on the GUIV on the weekend! should have looked at this thread first!

so thought id do the right thing and permanently mount it to the car so it looked factory! came up a treat. I did not want to use the little bracket and the cam was micro so i removed the bracket and installed it through the door. The cam allowed for this to happen and i went the whole hog. Bloody rear trim came off about 8 times in the end but mounted really well. I had to drill a hole in the door the size of the cam and the kit came with the right size hole saw and all!

I chose above the number plate. dead centre of the plate in line with the Nissan Badge above for aesthetics. Looks great. It is flush finished with the panel and looks a treat. It is 170degrees and i can see from about a meter back on the ground. t is shielded by the handle from sun glare and is well placed. It has infra-red so good at night too.

BUT! Big Bloody BUT!!

It is directly under the Number Plate light and at night i have to reverse with the headlight OFF or cant see crap! Reverse light lights up all good but if i have the parkers or headlights on the number plate light wrecks the view. Heads Up! 5 Hours into my Install and ready to pack up i find this!! Grrrrrrr. Oh Well.

The screen is one of those rear view Mirror displays which is pretty good but the mirror is tinted which is a little odd in the day time.

Drew
3rd September 2013, 11:34 AM
damn! I installed a rear cam on the GUIV on the weekend! should have looked at this thread first!

so thought id do the right thing and permanently mount it to the car so it looked factory! came up a treat. I did not want to use the little bracket and the cam was micro so i removed the bracket and installed it through the door. The cam allowed for this to happen and i went the whole hog. Bloody rear trim came off about 8 times in the end but mounted really well. I had to drill a hole in the door the size of the cam and the kit came with the right size hole saw and all!

I chose above the number plate. dead centre of the plate in line with the Nissan Badge above for aesthetics. Looks great. It is flush finished with the panel and looks a treat. It is 170degrees and i can see from about a meter back on the ground. t is shielded by the handle from sun glare and is well placed. It has infra-red so good at night too.

BUT! Big Bloody BUT!!

It is directly under the Number Plate light and at night i have to reverse with the headlight OFF or cant see crap! Reverse light lights up all good but if i have the parkers or headlights on the number plate light wrecks the view. Heads Up! 5 Hours into my Install and ready to pack up i find this!! Grrrrrrr. Oh Well.

The screen is one of those rear view Mirror displays which is pretty good but the mirror is tinted which is a little odd in the day time.

Any pics mate ?

“The best way to cheer yourself is to cheer somebody else up.” - Albert Einstein

threedogs
3rd September 2013, 12:24 PM
I'm with you Drew just don't know where to put it, one spot was directly above the towbar on the alloy step edge.
Its well protected might get dirty I just don't know. Might have to fabricate a bracket,. Trouble I have is don't need it to hook up the trailer.
Just car park and out bush maybe. Then never needed one before WT, Might just do the camera to watch the rope spool onto the winch evenly,
And drilling holes is out of the question

MudRunnerTD
3rd September 2013, 01:14 PM
Any pics mate ?

“The best way to cheer yourself is to cheer somebody else up.” - Albert Einstein

Not the best pics but here is a couple

The kit

Mounted

And the mirror

Lights on in the daylight is not bad. You can see the light on at the top of the vision

threedogs
3rd September 2013, 01:19 PM
Looks good there, Your main reason for the camera is ,,,,,,,,???????
Not running over tiny tots, or hitching up trailer/camper, can you see towball???

MudRunnerTD
3rd September 2013, 01:24 PM
Looks good there, Your main reason for the camera is ,,,,,,,,???????
Not running over tiny tots, or hitching up trailer/camper, can you see towball

I can see the ground 1m from the bumper, i can see the edge of the Spare tyre and i can see of at 10d from the bumper on the left side corner. Because it is hard mounted i cant adjust to see the ball which would have been great but not its main use. I can hook up a Second cam to this system and view at the click of a button on the mirror so may buy a second cam and fit it to the rear facing down maybe for bump parking.

liftlid
3rd September 2013, 02:23 PM
This is mine had it plugged into the GPS with a switch to turn it on, this way I could see over the camper on highway33722

threedogs
3rd September 2013, 03:22 PM
That's different Liftlid , gives.
@ MR seems the 170 deg camera is the go.
think all the ones I have are 130 deg me an idea,
Special bracket just for GUs,,, hmmmmm

liftlid
3rd September 2013, 03:25 PM
That's different Liftlid , gives.
@ MR seems the 170 deg camera is the go.
think all the ones I have are 130 deg me an idea,
Special bracket just for GUs,,, hmmmmm

Jacar camera, can see up street for on coming traffic when angle parked and carparks

threedogs
3rd September 2013, 03:32 PM
Trying to convince myself I need one, maybe one to watch front wheels underneath
and one to watch the winch, I'll wait till someone comes up with the perfect set up,
AArrrggghhhhh

liftlid
3rd September 2013, 03:34 PM
This is mine had it plugged into the GPS with a switch to turn it on, this way I could see over the camper on highway33722

The lights are crap though and need redoing

MudRunnerTD
3rd September 2013, 06:29 PM
Here is another shot at 6pm when the sun is not so bright

That's pretty good I reckon.

Here is with the number plate light on though

megatexture
3rd September 2013, 07:31 PM
MR just blow the bulb and put it back in then if you get pulled up just act dumb then you will have no issue, other than the light it looks good:smile:

Evo
4th September 2013, 12:28 AM
I mounted mine underneath the far right of the door handle surround on the small rear door.
There is a recess that almost hides the camera, plus the wiring is all hidden and waterproof also.

Evo

Benzulez
17th September 2013, 08:54 PM
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae330/da_ben_624/DSC_0016_zpsb95c1c4e.jpg (http://s984.photobucket.com/user/da_ben_624/media/DSC_0016_zpsb95c1c4e.jpg.html)
I have mine mounted here with a switch to turn it on right next to another switch for the reverse lights on the cage, works brilliant, and can turn on while driving to check on the trailer.

MudRunnerTD
17th September 2013, 10:01 PM
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae330/da_ben_624/DSC_0016_zpsb95c1c4e.jpg (http://s984.photobucket.com/user/da_ben_624/media/DSC_0016_zpsb95c1c4e.jpg.html)
I have mine mounted here with a switch to turn it on right next to another switch for the reverse lights on the cage, works brilliant, and can turn on while driving to check on the trailer.

Yeah my cam came with that mount too but I did not want to have it hanging like that so drilled through the door.. I should have just done what you have done though as it will be a better angle I think.

DX grunt
24th March 2014, 12:04 AM
My dual camera placement & what I see. Image quality is better than the camera shows plus was taken in dull conditions with sky behind the trees giving a degree of 'glare'. The wide angle camera colour is poor, but I never use it anyway.

Cuppa

I missed this thread somehow.

Cuppa, where's your other camera mounted? Do you lose much visibility with the camera between the 2 spares?

Rossco

threedogs
21st April 2015, 09:24 AM
Thought I'd drag this up as Ive still not mounted or wired my camera.
Figured out seeing I have a faux spare wheel with power going to it already for reverse lights,
I'll make a small bracket off the inside and mount the Infra red camera there,
Mud ,flood or blood I want this done today, lol
Ill power up a camera and see where the best position is,
make a bracket and powder coat it. I have a new head unit but it has two yellow rca style
cables one I want for the rear the other to watch the winch rope somehow
I take it i need power for the camera which Ill get from the rear lights
and selecting reverse will activate the screen providing power is on.
Is it easy enough to just flick a switch for power to see whats happening

threedogs
21st April 2015, 11:33 AM
Nah scrap all that going to mount it under the back of the roof rack looking straight down

Cuppa
21st April 2015, 12:25 PM
I missed this thread somehow.

Cuppa, where's your other camera mounted? Do you lose much visibility with the camera between the 2 spares?

Rossco

Hi Rossco, only just come across your question.
My cameras came as a pair so are mounted together on the same bracket, each with separate vertical adjustment, so I could if I chose point either more toward the tow ball if I wanted. From where they are mounted, given the ‘shelf’ below the spares, I can get to within about 300mm of the towball - ie. can’t quite get it in view but as previously explained knowing where the stop line corresponds to the trailer allows me to line up tow ball & trailer pretty easily. ..... at least to within an inch or so. (Sometimes I get it spot on, sometimes a second ‘adjustment is needed).
Whilst I can see a corner of each spare tyre in the narrow angle view (driving), I still get a good view at the rear for driving & have never felt that the tyres are restrictive. I mainly use my side mirrors & the monitor/camera is for double checking. The combo of camera, side mirrors & small stick on blind spot mirrors give me complete coverage.

One thing I found was that my ‘driving camera’ was subject to getting water on the lens as well as sometimes misting up, obscuring all useful view. More recently I riveted together some aluminium angle to make a small cover across the top of the cameras. I can just see the cover at the top of the screen image. The cameras now stay much cleaner in wet weather, & no longer mist up. An unexpected bonus, which is quite a biggie, is that it has reduced the amount of light flare I used to get when driving with the sun behind me. This has improved things so much I would now advise either the purchase of cameras with a shade over them or for folk to make one as I have. The improvement in quality of what you see on the monitor extends to all conditions, not just really bright conditions.

One thing to re-iterate for others reading about this for the first time - wide angle reversing cameras are unsuitable for use as driving cameras. Cars coming up behind appear suddenly out of nowhere. The narrower the angle of view the more realistic your rear vision monitor will be for driving.

My narrow angle driving camera is 60 degrees, it was the best I could find when buying. There has since been a greater recognition of the need for narrow angle cameras & today I would buy different. If wanting dual cameras I would buy something like this (with the ccd option) http://safetydave.com.au/reversing-camera-kits/sd-dual-camera/ or if only getting a single camera I’d buy this one http://www.nassecurity.com.au/30-degree.html

My narrow angle one is fine for reversing too, so I virtually never use the wide angle one ...... maybe in an unfamiliar spot to avoid a tree stump now & again, but for connecting a trailer the narrow angle one does the job. Can’t speak for the 30 or 40 degree ones in that respect though, they may or may not. Safest option if wanted for both would be the Safety Dave one. He’s a pretty good bloke to deal with, I spoke to him about fire extinguishers not so long back & found him very helpful & with fairly reasonable prices.

threedogs
21st April 2015, 02:50 PM
I'd love to have one underneath looking at the front wheel maybe with some rain ex on it.
The one facing the winch rope is easy enough to do. Just this rear one is a PITB, looking straight down I dont
think will work cause of the way the camera works, Maybe above that rear loop will work better. then again
havent needed it so far , more a gimmick to me. lol

threedogs
17th May 2015, 01:54 PM
OK had to buy a new double din head unit so been slack, I have ran the yellow cable all the way to the middle of the small door.
It a bit hard to position the camera then go have a look. neighbours must of had a laugh,lol
As I havent installed my roof rack yet Im' thinking of mounting it on a plate welded to the rear..
Plus being a 3/4 style rack [ARB copy] Id like to mount it forward over the A pillar, I'm lost and wonder if all this effort is worth it.
I've managed to go without a reverse camera until now, I might re direct it to watching the winch rope or front wheels,
Really need two ppl doing this, door trim is still off till I find a solution, time for a nap now lol.
I found the nuber plate area useless ,the corner of the rear black Nissan plate yeah ok but need to drill a hole.
Mark next time your over buddy he he he this might suit better
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HD-Night-Vision-Car-Rearview-Camera-Universal-Auto-Parking-Reverse-Backup-Camera-/331513769794?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4d2fc2af42

threedogs
18th May 2015, 01:18 PM
I'm not sure about this reverse camera, i dont need it to hook up my camper
thats easy to do one out. Seeing how close you are to other cars parking,
that would be handy save getting out and having a look. I have a video switcher
so might use that for two cameras,i just dont know atm
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331513769794?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Im hoping this will screw into the black plastic Nissan plate on the small door

Clunk
18th May 2015, 07:18 PM
I'm not sure about this reverse camera, i dont need it to hook up my camper
thats easy to do one out. Seeing how close you are to other cars parking,
that would be handy save getting out and having a look. I have a video switcher
so might use that for two cameras,i just dont know atm
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331513769794?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?campid=5336709507&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fitm%2F33151376 9794%3F_trksid%3Dp2060353.m2749.l2649%26amp%3BssPa geName%3DSTRK%253AMEBIDX%253AIT)
Im hoping this will screw into the black plastic Nissan plate on the small door

I'd save your money TD, the resolution on this thing is crap and I'd be suspect about its night vision ability too.

threedogs
19th May 2015, 02:42 PM
Yeah thanks Clunk had one similar and it was very grainy, GGGRRRrrrr
For reversing I might be better putting those sensors in the bumper..
I have two yellow video cables on the head unit, I take it one will engage with reverse
and the other via the menu and press camera to use any where i want a camera,
like looking at the winch rope

Rock Trol
19th May 2015, 03:49 PM

Same here. The camera I have is 270 degree view so you can see everything and get some perspective on the distance of the trailer you are backing up to (if towing).

threedogs
19th May 2015, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=Rock Trol;604312]Same here. The camera I have is 270 degree view so you can see everything and get some perspective on the distance of the trailer you are backing up to (if towing).[

Possible to get a pic please

Rock Trol
19th May 2015, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=Rock Trol;604312]Same here. The camera I have is 270 degree view so you can see everything and get some perspective on the distance of the trailer you are backing up to (if towing).[

Possible to get a pic please

It's just above the number plate. I can see from one side of the car to the other and also the tow hitch so I can back up to a trailer. You get a look from above and to the side so you can judge the distance to something as you back up. It's only good for reversing, not using it as a rear view camera.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58117&stc=1

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58118&stc=1

threedogs
19th May 2015, 04:52 PM
Thanks for that, I might put sensors for reversing up to say a wall .
and position a camera just for hooking up the trailer like you have.
now to find a 270 degree number.

Did find this but only for 2012-2014, bummer Already sent him an email and thats all he has
Might have to get onto Fracster see if he can find something

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Reverse-Rear-View-Parking-Camera-for-Nissan-Patrol-X-Trail-Qashqai-Sunn-/181725732503

Rock Trol
19th May 2015, 05:54 PM
Thanks for that, I might put sensors for reversing up to say a wall .
and position a camera just for hooking up the trailer like you have.
now to find a 270 degree number.

Did find this but only for 2012-2014, bummer Already sent him an email and thats all he has
Might have to get onto Fracster see if he can find something

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Reverse-Rear-View-Parking-Camera-for-Nissan-Patrol-X-Trail-Qashqai-Sunn-/181725732503 (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?campid=5336709507&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fitm%2FCar-Reverse-Rear-View-Parking-Camera-for-Nissan-Patrol-X-Trail-Qashqai-Sunn-%2F181725732503)

With this set up you don't need the sensors as you can see the wall from the side and judge the distance between the two accurately. Set the camera up first as you might not need the sensors. It's amazing what a wide angle camera actually picks up.

clubbyr8
19th May 2015, 05:56 PM
I've got two cameras on mine, one just above the towbar that's pointed down slightly and is used for parking. The other is mounted in the middle of the roof rack and is used to see what's behind me in traffic. I don't tow anything but when the car is loaded the rear view mirror is useless and so the roof rack camera is used in it's place....

threedogs
19th May 2015, 05:58 PM
Should put pics of your screen so ppl can see what you see.

clubbyr8
20th May 2015, 08:32 AM
Should put pics of your screen so ppl can see what you see.

Yeah, I'll try and do that today. I'm looking at replacing the towbar camera as it isn't waterproof as I was led to believe. Thinking of trying this...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-LED-HD-CCD-4pins-Connector-Car-Rear-View-Reversing-Backup-Camera-Wide-170-AU-/161282183305?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item258d2ad089

clubbyr8
20th May 2015, 11:12 AM
Managed to take some pics, display is very reflective (as it acts like a mirror) and I even used a CPL filter to get rid of most of the reflection, but you get the idea of the difference.....

Towbar camera..... Definitely not waterproof.....

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/05/192.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/sXdjHu)IMG_0819 (https://flic.kr/p/sXdjHu) by
Bob Howard (https://www.flickr.com/photos/clubbyr8v8/), on Flickr

Roof Rack camera.....

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/05/193.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/teMAWp)IMG_0823 (https://flic.kr/p/teMAWp) by

Towbar camera display..... Red line is about 18" from the end of the towbar.....

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/05/194.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/shLJoj)IMG_0821 (https://flic.kr/p/shLJoj) by

Roof Rack Camera display.....

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/05/195.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/teQ7gi)IMG_0820 (https://flic.kr/p/teQ7gi) by

The towbar camera has a CMOS sensor and the Roof Rack camera has a CCD, quite a bit of difference......

mudski
21st May 2015, 01:14 PM
This is what I see through my camera mounted just above the number plate.... The red line, lines up perfectly with the tow ball.

megatexture
21st May 2015, 01:16 PM
Is your photo fliped or is the camera view? You should be able to flip it in your stereo settings

threedogs
21st May 2015, 02:10 PM
I think Ive found a replacement number plate light. It has led and camera
It looks very close to what i have.
@ Mark didnt think of fitting the ball to set camera.doh
Personally some how Id like to see both rear corners
I have facility for two cameras and with a splitter room for more
I'll wait till my camera[s] arrive to see which is best[better]

threedogs
21st May 2015, 02:13 PM
I think Ive found a replacement number plate light. It has led and camera
It looks very close to what i have.
@ Mark didnt think of fitting the ball to set camera. I thought your camera was high on the small door?
Personally some how Id like to see both rear corners
I have facility for two cameras and with a splitter room for more
I'll wait till my camera[s] arrive to see which is best[better]

tinkabell
26th May 2015, 03:45 PM
dumb question from a noob - but what do you mean by facility for two cameras? is that like a split screen display or something?? or twin displays?

curious as I tow a lot and my factory radio is crapping itself - so just starting to think through options if i put a good head unit in with displays for camera etc...

threedogs
26th May 2015, 03:50 PM
You can buy video game splitters very cheap which will enable you to switch from camera to camera
My head unit has provisions for 2 cameras,
I would like to look at 1,, front wheels 2,, winch rope and 3,, towbar
BTW there are no dumb questions here, ask anything you like
I just brought a double din head unit with the lot and reverse camera
for around $200, cant fault it yet,
Maybe wait till you get another head unit, or you could just buy a 5" screen
or one of those rear vision mirror jobs, I found they were no good on corrigations

threedogs
6th June 2015, 01:08 PM
Well finally done used this billet camera great picture, very happy indeed,
just waiting on no.1 son to wire it up to reverse light and replace all the trim
I need to remove the radio head unit to put the iPod plug back in, at the same time I'll run another
yellow RCA for the front camera, not sure if it will point at front wheels or winch rope we'll see.
Alas the roof rack still lays idle GGRRrrrrrrrrrrrr

Hodge
6th June 2015, 02:12 PM
Alas the roof rack still lays idle GGRRrrrrrrrrrrrr
Mate this roof rack of yours has been idle for ages lol. Where about are you. If you need extra hands give us a yell.
I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things.

threedogs
6th June 2015, 04:12 PM
To do it safely we need 4 ppl , my two sons both over 6ft
the guy up the road and one of the young fellas in the street.
If it doesnt happen tomorrow Im going to scream GGRRrrrrrrrrr

yummo
13th June 2015, 12:44 PM
In the Pajero I recently switched from, I had a reversing camera that came as a replacement for the rear number plate light. Does any one know if there is a similar product available for the Y61 Patrol?

threedogs
13th June 2015, 12:48 PM
No mate I've searched everywhere, I can get similar but not an exact replacement.
Ebay is your friend or check the links in a few post back

SKID
25th August 2015, 09:08 PM
This is what I see through my camera mounted just above the number plate.... The red line, lines up perfectly with the tow ball.

Do you have any issues with this head unit with regards to the screen dimming at night when you turn your lights on? I got one last week and the button lights where on all the time and did not dim the screen when I turned lights on, have sent it back to HK for a replacement...

Rip'n'Shred
25th September 2015, 12:23 PM
Well finally done used this billet camera great picture, very happy indeed,
just waiting on no.1 son to wire it up to reverse light and replace all the trim
I

Do you have a pic of the screen image yet mate?

threedogs
25th September 2015, 06:13 PM
Yeah yeah, moved the canera down onto that alloy centre piece to the side of the towbar.
pretty sore ATM had a big day but Ill post a pic tomorrow for you,
TBH I never use it more a gimmick to me lol

threedogs
28th December 2015, 03:07 PM
Just an update, I have not used it to date its a PITB to be honest.
Mainly as I need to go into the menu to select camera.
Now Ive put a carling style switch in the centre facia that when wired
will give me the camera image when I turn it on regardless of what gear Im in.
,Question is:::: Do I need to run a power wire from the camera to the switch?
ATM the camera is triggered by selecting reverse.
Which wire at the back of the head unit do I need to pick up to allow instant image
to appear. Hope it makes some sense, the yellow RCA goes from the head unit to the camera