PDA

View Full Version : tyre and lift kit advice

daveholmes73
22nd September 2012, 03:50 PM
Hi All

I have a stock standard 2004 wagon 3ltr manual.

All offroading is done on the great beaches north off perth and she goes great.

However it's due for new tyres soon and wanted any advice on improving beach driving without going all out just to add a bit off confidence and ability when you get in the heavy ruts close by the water.

I was suggested a 2inch lift kit and 285/75/16's just wanted to see what other people recommend ? 17inch worth while ? 285 still ok for turning will they rub the guards ?

Any advice greatly appreciated thanks you

Dave

growler2058
22nd September 2012, 03:55 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice, jump over to the intros and say gday something we ask all members to do
That tyre combo sounds fine and i would stay with 16" so you have more tyre wall.

daveholmes73
22nd September 2012, 04:15 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice, jump over to the intros and say gday something we ask all members to do
That tyre combo sounds fine and i would stay with 16" so you have more tyre wall.

Thanks mate copy that will do.

You think the lift kit is needed or just go for larger tyres ? I have standard 265/70/16's at the moment.

Cheers and thanks again

Dave

threedogs
22nd September 2012, 04:27 PM
Hello and welcome mate plenty of info here for you and a great bunch of people as well
I have the same 4x4. 2" lift with 285 x 75 x16s and 305 x 70 x 16 will get you just about everywhere, no diff locks
Why would you put 17s on, rubber overpriced to all get out. you can get 16" tyres anywhere
if you get stuck, wouldn't be that confident with 17s

growler2058
22nd September 2012, 05:07 PM
Thanks mate copy that will do.

You think the lift kit is needed or just go for larger tyres ? I have standard 265/70/16's at the moment.

Cheers and thanks again

Dave

I would definately go for 2" lift mate, that and a good set of tyres and youre going anywhere

Clunk
22nd September 2012, 05:16 PM
Yep it's all been said, 285s & a 2 in lift, don't bother with 17 rims, as they won't affect your tyre diameter. Just make the new rubber costlier. If it's just beach driving, then All terrains will do ya

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

MudRunnerTD
22nd September 2012, 05:46 PM
G'day Mate welcome here.

Go for Micky Thompson AT 5 rib in a 285/75/16 on steel rims.

A 2inch Old Man Emu Lift and you will go most places.

If you have some more cash then a power chip for your 3lt.

Then more cash and in goes the front air locker and you will be near unstoppable on the beach

threedogs
22nd September 2012, 06:27 PM
Most here would pick the Mickey Ts', 3 or 4 rib as a great all rounder.
Your next mod is pillar pod ,guages and NADS>

mywheelfelloff
23rd September 2012, 10:55 AM
definately go with all terrains mate - muddies dig in way too much in sand. i usually find the balder and flatter they are the better they go :)

04OFF
23rd September 2012, 11:30 AM
Personally id actually not change "anything", you don't need huge tyres or lift for sand, your skill level as a driver will take you much further (or let you down) than mods, bigger is not always better, taller tyres may change your effective gear ratio, wider tyres need to push more sand in some situations, the surface area of a deflated tyre area along its length, is more important than across the width.

Over here in QLD we have a lot of sand islands, if you look at all the Rangers vehicles they use on these islands, they pretty much all run Toyotas with the super "skinny" yet chunky tyres (many would say the worst combo), these vehicles often carry extra weight 24/7, they do not drop tyre pressures to a very low level,(the ones ive asked don't even have a tyre pump on board) but you don't see them getting stuck/struggling everywhere on the sand.

wildgu6
23rd September 2012, 05:43 PM
Welcome aboard Dave, top mob here with tons of info and laughs,
Jump in and Enjoy mate,
2" & 285/75/16, you shouldnt have a prob' most places you go.

Cheers Pete

daveholmes73
23rd September 2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the info fella's. As for QLD mate funny you say that was just speaking to the old man he's in QLD and does a lot around rainbow/fraser up the top end etc in his patrol. He reckons no need for lift kit but he loves 285 or 295's but he's on my case to switch from the manual to an auto though and remove all but one seat ! never was normal that one but his havin fun. Cheers

MEGOMONSTER
29th September 2012, 05:04 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.

megatexture
29th September 2012, 05:13 PM
im with 04off on this if beach work is all you do and you dont want to spend to much you dont need a lift, for beach work i would just get a good set of tyres. buuuttttt... now your on the forum so you will see things you wish you didnt! and you will want them on your rig also haha then you will have the 4x4 bug!

Dhuck
9th October 2012, 06:46 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Maxhead
9th October 2012, 07:03 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

BearGUST
10th October 2012, 02:00 PM
I'd tend to agree with the guys saying to keep it fairly standard, I'm not a guru on beach driving but I'd say lift isn't too important.
Also, larger tyres will hurt the gearing which is pretty important on sand. A good all terrain tyre in standard sizing would probably be a very good option.

2TROLLFAM
10th October 2012, 02:01 PM
Welcome aboard !! As most (naahhh ALL) will agree this is a pretty awesome forum with a truck load of information to be found & fun to be had ... Hope you enjoy you're stay - the key is to participate :)