PDA

View Full Version : Sticky clutch???

Breaks
20th September 2012, 02:57 PM
G'day guys I just Have a question about the clutch. When the revs are up over 2500/3000 rpm the clutch seems to get really heavy and seems like it's sticking especially between 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. But if I change gear anywhere below that rev range it's light and responsive.
Is it buggered??

patch697
20th September 2012, 08:33 PM
G'day guys I just Have a question about the clutch. When the revs are up over 2500/3000 rpm the clutch seems to get really heavy and seems like it's sticking especially between 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. But if I change gear anywhere below that rev range it's light and responsive.
Is it buggered??

I take it your talking Petrol engine here & if so then this is a common issue with power assist clutchs. There is nothing going horribly wrong here just a drop in manifold vacuum so your clutch booster is not fully recharging hence your clutch peddle fells heavier.

You can fit an after market vacuum retainer tank which helps keep move vacuum stored in reserve but there not all that cheap new.

Breaks
20th September 2012, 11:54 PM
Yeh sorry, petrol motor on gas. That sounds alot better than a new clutch. Where abouts can I find a vacume retainer tank, who sells them? (I'm in Perth). Is there any way to test if that's def the problem?

patch697
21st September 2012, 12:37 PM
Yeh sorry, petrol motor on gas. That sounds alot better than a new clutch. Where abouts can I find a vacume retainer tank, who sells them? (I'm in Perth). Is there any way to test if that's def the problem?

Most break & clutch service centres will have or can order in a vacuum retainer tank or you may be lucky enough to find one at a auto wreckers at a much better price.

One way you can identify if the symptoms are the same is to disconnect your clutch power booster by removing the hose, block off the hose itself with a bolt or something to that effect & take it for a drive. If the peddle feels pretty much the same then its a pretty good bet your on the money.

Break & clutch service centres will also have a device to test both your break & clutch power boosters for vacuum leaks which isn't a bad idea to have checked also.

Breaks
21st September 2012, 06:52 PM
Ur a superstar mate, cheers heaps!