PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warranty on Patrol

Twitch
20th September 2012, 12:54 PM
Hello,

I'm due to take delivery of a 3.0L TD 5D wagon tomorrow and the dealer has called me and offered to extend the warranty to up to 6 yrs or 200,000k for an extra $1,495. They are pushing me a little on this and they first offered for $1,600.

I thought they automatically came with the extended warranty.

Since I'm a complete idiot when it comes to these things I would very much appreciate some sound advice on the matter.

I'll post some pictures of my new toy when I get a hold of it tomorrow.

Thanx in advance, Twitch

Squalo
20th September 2012, 01:02 PM
Hi Twitch

I haven't heard of extended warranty as a normal inclusion.

I put extended warranty on my 2008 in 2010 when it had 40,000km on the odo - extra three years or up to 150,000km, whichever came first. I paid around $1300 for it. So I am basically in warranty until April 2014, it's unlikely that I will hit 150,000km before then.

It has already just about paid for itself - one replacement serpentine belt tensioner, a swivel hub seal replaced, a cracked EGR pipe replaced, and an oil leak/weep on the timing gear cover about to be resolved (which is potentially an engine-out job).

You can get the extended warranty down the track, once you know whether you will actually still have the car five or six years from now.

rkinsey
20th September 2012, 01:04 PM
Hey Twitch,

Extended warranties on any new device is always a good idea. Be it a fridge, computer, server or a car.

Before you sign the bottom line though, check what exactly the extended warranty covers and doesnt cover!

For instance you may have to have it serviced at the dealership, and no where else, every 3 months or so (without a fixed contract) for the warranty to stay valid. You may not be able to modify the vehicle either at all or certain items may not be replaced such as the suspension. Your warrnty may be void if you take it offroad... (god forbid!)

Once you know exactly what the warranty covers, you can weigh up wether or not the price is right (so to speak...)

Cheers,

Rob

Ronin
20th September 2012, 05:10 PM
I got the extra warranty with my new Patrol. I did ask the dealer what is covered and what is not.. He said , tyres, bulbs, seat covers are not covered.

Squalo
21st September 2012, 11:01 AM
Also there is a Nissan factory extended warranty (what I have), and a dealership extended warranty - they are miles apart in what you get, the dealer extended warranty is not worth the piece of paper it is printed on. Factory extended warranty only!