PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Mates GQ Shorty is putting out 22V with only onw battery and blowing points!

ozzymalone
20th September 2012, 10:25 AM
Hi All,

My mate has recently bought a GQ Shorty and has been having big dramas. It is putting out 22V yet only running a single battery. It is in at an auto-electricians who is stumped at what is happening.

1.Tell-tale signs where a flickering headlight bulb which was replaced.
2.Replaced points when they blew out from excess power....
3.Replaced points again and blew those out once again two days later.
4.Replaced again and blew points after having ignition set to "accessories" for 30secs-1min...

Any ideas folks! Cheers.

Yendor
20th September 2012, 10:51 AM
Where was that voltage reading taken from?

What type of coil is he running? does it require a ballast resistor or not?

Is a ballast resistor fitted?

Did the condenser get replaced with the points?

Have the vehicles earth be check/cleaned?

Does the alternator/battery light in the dash come on when ignition is on and go out as soon as the vehicle is started? or do you have to give the engine a rev?

Has the alternator sense circuit been checked?

There shouldn't be any current flowing through the points when only the accessories are on, is the ignition circuit switching off?

ozzymalone
20th September 2012, 11:16 AM
Will get him to check all the above....Cheers. Yendor

threedogs
20th September 2012, 11:20 AM
LOL don't think you left anything out Yendor, that'll keep Auto sparkie busy for a while

ozzymalone
20th September 2012, 12:06 PM
Rather cover all my bases threedogs. I told him I would look into it so I'm happy to bombard him with questions. He is stressing out that he bought a bomb so gotta make him feel I'm trying to look out for him.....His MQ Shorty is having dramas to boot so he isn't in a good place at the moment.

threedogs
20th September 2012, 12:11 PM
Sounds like both have poor electrical systems in them, are they from a salty enviroment???

ozzymalone
20th September 2012, 12:59 PM
Apparently the GQ was a country car from NthQLD but didn't exhibit rust in the usual places for a "Salty-Dog".....Chassis rails were clean, gutters/sliding window shrouds pretty good and tailgate not bad. The MQ is almost 100% rust free and has been kicking round with him for the last 5 years. Has galvanised body panels so doesn't seem to show and panel rust but he isn't afraid to drop into some gnarly mud holes from time to time which could help speed the "ageing process" ;).

Squalo
20th September 2012, 01:05 PM
Is it an imported Patrol with a 24v electrical system?

ozzymalone
20th September 2012, 01:28 PM
Were MQ's imported? Good question, I assumed a car of that vintage probably wouldn't have been but good question...how would one find out? (Probably a silly question but worth a shot!)

Yendor
20th September 2012, 03:38 PM
LOL don't think you left anything out Yendor, that'll keep Auto sparkie busy for a while

I tried to cover all bases.....what's the bet it's something else.......lol

threedogs
20th September 2012, 04:16 PM
Always the way, might take that bet, but we're on the same page,
will know soon enough. As you pointed out it could be one of many things.

patch697
20th September 2012, 08:42 PM
Is it an imported Patrol with a 24v electrical system?

Correct me if im wrong here Yendor but 24volt systems require 2x 12v batteries & im sure I read in the original post that this GQ only runs one...
As I said I could be wrog here also????

Were MQ's imported? Good question, I assumed a car of that vintage probably wouldn't have been but good question...how would one find out? (Probably a silly question but worth a shot!)

Is it an MQ we're talking here or a GQ????.... Your first post said GQ & I just want to clarify...

sam697
20th September 2012, 08:48 PM

You can do a Vin search through the RTA web site which will give you some history on the vehicle e.g where it came from, how many previous owners, accident history. From memory it costs around $28 to do the search but the results are often interesting.

krbrooking
20th September 2012, 09:07 PM
I had the same prob in my 2.8 gu it turned out to be the regulator rectifier, once I replaced that all was good. Before I replaced it it was putting out around 20 volts at the batt

Yendor
20th September 2012, 11:20 PM
Correct me if im wrong here Yendor but 24volt systems require 2x 12v batteries & im sure I read in the original post that this GQ only runs one...
As I said I could be wrog here also????

Is it an MQ we're talking here or a GQ????.... Your first post said GQ & I just want to clarify...

I think ozzy is getting mixed up with this thread and his other thread about the MQ.

Yes a 24 volt system requires 2x batteries.

I also read the original post as the GQ only has one battery.