PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning from Adelaide

Bigred92
19th September 2012, 09:59 AM
Gday everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster.

Last week I picked up my 'new' 1989 TB42 GQ Patrol, so i figured the right thing to do would be to show her off to everyone on the internet.

My folks had a Jeep Cherokee when i was 10 and that's when i decided that i needed to get myself a 4x4, a few years back dad bought a GU and thats when i decided that it needed to be a Patrol.

Anyways, Enough about me, time to talk about the Patrol.

1989 4.2L Duel fuel LWB GQ Patrol for $3500
Original interior, relatively un-molested :jawdrop:
380k's on the clock, but she still has plenty left in her
Very low suspension, the previous owner used it to tow a caravan around before 'upgrading' to a GU and never replaced the suspension, so that means its one of the first jobs for me.
a few dings and scrapes, but hey, its a 4x4, just a bit of character.

I am already looking at taking of the gate that is bolted to the front as it, a) weighs a tonne b) does nothing for my approach angle & c) i plain don't like it.
I am thinking about custom bar work front and back, but what is everyone's opinion?

Let me know what you think and I'll keep everyone posted as things change

growler2058
19th September 2012, 10:20 AM
G'day mate welcome aboard good to see another sth Aussie gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

Double Tap

wildgu6
19th September 2012, 10:34 AM
Welcome aboard buddy, top mob here with tons of info and laughs,
Jump in and Enjoy mate

Cheers Pete

Yappa Tappa Doo

Bob
19th September 2012, 10:44 AM
Welcome Mate. Join in and enjoy

taslucas
19th September 2012, 10:51 AM
Gday mate, welcome aboard. Are you able to post a photo of your trol? I want to see this "gate" lol

Tap, crackle, pop

Bigred92
19th September 2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks very much guys,

Figured i should post some pics so here she is

taslucas
19th September 2012, 11:36 AM
Nice clean looking rig mate. A great starting place. Will look even better with a lift under it:-)

Tap, crackle, pop

Bigred92
19th September 2012, 12:17 PM
as far as i can tell, she already has a 1" body lift (dont see the point) seeing as the suspension has sagged so much, even with the body lift i think it is sitting about 3" lower than factory, so thats 4" drop on the suspension.

I am going to take of the side steps, and hopefully make up a set of slides, and fit a 2" lift, which will mean about a 5" overall from what it is currently (well thats the plan anyway)

threedogs
19th September 2012, 12:37 PM
Hello and welcome, great platform you have there to build an absolute weapon.
Join in anytime and enjoy

MEGOMONSTER
19th September 2012, 01:29 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.

Tapperty tap 1000 taps for me.

Sir Roofy
19th September 2012, 01:33 PM
Welcome aboard mate enjoy your stay
clean looking truck

Bigred92
19th September 2012, 03:18 PM
has a few bumps and bits but overall relatively tidy, im looking at painting it in the near future, but haven't decided on colours yet so just going how it is, and i figure i will do a rear quarter chop before i paint it not after

BigRAWesty
19th September 2012, 07:11 PM
Nice looking bus and very clean.. Live the dark carpet.. Mine is full of stains from the dam drinks tipping over...

As for the gate.. Well it looks alloy to me so I'm guessing it would be 20kg.. There are a lot heavier out there..

I'm guessing your a welder seeing your attempting a 1/4 chop and sliders, so if you want a new bar I'd say have a crack yourself..

Sent from a device which doesn't always agree with my thumbs...

Dhuck
19th September 2012, 07:38 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Bigred92
20th September 2012, 09:44 AM
There is a bit of rust in the drivers foot well that i need to sort out, haven't been game enough to lift the carpet yet, but i will get to it on the weekend hopefully and then go from there

healy
20th September 2012, 10:11 AM
Welcome to the forum mate nice rig

Maxhead
21st September 2012, 07:11 AM
G'day and welcome to the forum mate

........... On the move

2TROLLFAM
22nd September 2012, 01:17 PM
I've been alittle slack in welcoming new members cuz I'm usually on my phone & it's a pain but "Better Late than Never"

WELCOME Aboard - you'll find these guys & gals to be full of Useful, Entertaining and sometimes Disturbing information LMAO .. Hope you enjoy the forum as much as we all do !!