PDA

View Full Version : Long range fuel tanks??

Coldcomfort
17th September 2012, 06:18 PM
Hi all, what is the general consesus about LR tanks for a new diesel patrol. At the moment I am thinking that I will only replace the sub tank with a 80 litre tank.

A couple of different choices there. What do other reckon??

Cheers, Brian.

threedogs
17th September 2012, 06:24 PM
Yo Brian I've just replaced my 30lt for a 75 lt AUX, giving me 165lt. all up.
with that I could do any track in Aust, maybe even the Simmo in one hit,
with extra gerrys of coarse. If you need contact up there just send me a PM
More than happy with that amount of fuel

Dashar
1st October 2012, 08:00 AM
I recently did the Simpson in my 98GU petrol on gas. I put an 80 Brown Davis tank in.
Here is what I learned;
1. A trap for petrol Patrol owners is that you need the original main tank fuel pump (I didn't have one, that cost me $250 extra I didn't budget for) as the auxilliary pump doesn't mount into the tank. It also required rewiring the sender unit.
The biggest problem was yet to come!
2. I have a 2" lift and the large differential (H260). The larger yoke means less clearance, so at full extension of travel the yoke rubbed a hole in the tank! Yes, IN the Simpson!. Thankfully some Devcon was on hand and a patch got me home.
3. Brown davis had nothing on the website about the 80 lt tank needing an adjustable panhard rod to ensure clearance, and speaking with after market installers who fit Brown Davis nobody had heard of it being a problem. Am I the only one?
After all is said and done, I like the 80 lt tank, but there were significant issues with it for me.
*Did the Simpson with 120lt gas, 80lt sub tank fuel + 2 jerry cans (40lt)