PDA

View Full Version : Help with pertronix

jamied
16th September 2012, 07:08 PM
Hi all. I started installing pertronix ignition and gt40 coil but have stuffed something and need help. First off I just installed the pertronix to standard coil and that worked fine. Just went straight to the coil with the two wires so figure the ballast resistor counted for nothing but may be wrong as it was still connected. I then removed the resister and installed the gt40 coil. It fired but would not run. I didn't have the two blue wires or white wire on at this stage as not sure if they are required. The diagram on the instructions say nothing about those. I attached the white wire and when I went to start it it hissed a bit and now I get no spark at all no matter what I do. Any help would be great. What wires go where??

patch697
16th September 2012, 07:37 PM
What exactly do you attach & to what???? ie: what wires to what side of the coil & so on???

It sounds like you may have toasted something

Trolatron
16th September 2012, 07:47 PM
Our good mate rusty_nail on here posted a how to thread with pics.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8523-How-to-fit-a-Pertronix-Electronic-Ignition-system-to-your-GQ-TB42

jamied
16th September 2012, 09:09 PM
Yeh I think it may be the pertronix itself I fried. Red wire from igniter to positive on the coil and black to negative. It was when hooking up the new coil I got confused. When removing the ballast resister what do you do with the two blue wires and white wire off it?. I know one of the blue wires went to the condenser which is removed but where does the other blue and white wires go?

patch697
16th September 2012, 09:15 PM
One of the blue wires went to the condenser (as you already new) & the other is your Taco signal wire.

The white wire you referred to.... where did it come from originally???

jamied
16th September 2012, 09:29 PM
The white wire came off the ballast resistor. I don't know where it goes to though. When I first tried it with thd new coil I didn't have this wire on and it started but would not run. So I tried putting this wire onto the coil and ghats where it went wrong. I'm thinking it comes from alternator but which would make sense as to it not running. I may have gotton confused to whether it went to + or - and put it on wrong. It zapped at the coil so I thought it was just that I fried but still no spark when going back to original coil. Is there anything else in the system that could gett fried?

jamied
16th September 2012, 09:34 PM
If using the original coils does it require the ballast resister?

Yendor
16th September 2012, 09:54 PM
If using the original coil or a GT40R coil, yes you need the ballast resistor.

When bypassing the ballast resistor all you need to do is remove the wires from both sides of the ballast resistor and join them together.

Does the vehicle have LPG fitted?

With the ignition on check with a test light or voltmeter that you have power at the positive side of the coil. If there is not, check the wires that went to the ballast resistor and see if you have power there.

patch697
16th September 2012, 10:01 PM
Yeah... Im starting to get the picture now mate & it appears as though you've cross wired it.

The white wire im tipping was at one end of the ballast resistor pretty much by itself & on the other end there would have bee 2x wires. (not sure on colour without checking) If this is correct then that white wire should have gone to the positive side of the coil as its actually the ignition power wire.

The 2x wires at the other end of the resistor one of which runs to the coil originally the other comes from your starter motor & is responsible for supplying a temp 12v kick to the ignition system at start up. this is the one im guessing you've hooked up when you fitted the new coil which would explain why it started but would stay running.

Now have you got any means to be able to test for power & if so what?

patch697
16th September 2012, 10:03 PM
If using the original coil or a GT40R coil, yes you need the ballast resistor.

When bypassing the ballast resistor all you need to do is remove the wires from both sides of the ballast resistor and join them together.

Does the vehicle have LPG fitted?

With the ignition on check with a test light or voltmeter that you have power at the positive side of the coil. If there is not, check the wires that went to the ballast resistor and see if you have power there.

Glad your here mate.... If your up for it I'll let you take things from here.

Yendor
16th September 2012, 10:26 PM
Glad your here mate.... If your up for it I'll let you take things from here.

I'll give it a go.

Yendor
16th September 2012, 10:35 PM
One side of the resistor should have a White wire with a black trace and the other side of the resistor should of had 2 Red wires (the 2 red wires may be joined together).

If you connected this White wire with a Black trace to the negative side of the coil, you may have blown a fusible link or you may have blown your Pertronix.

I need to know if the White wire with a Black trace has power in it with the ignition on.

jamied
17th September 2012, 12:45 PM
Using a tester light I have power to the wight wire. I'm not sure where the red wire red wire comes from but it has no power. I'm thinking it should but not sure.

jamied
17th September 2012, 01:09 PM
Also the coil is gt40 not gt40r. I think it doesn't need resister but if someone could confirm that it would be great

Yendor
17th September 2012, 01:10 PM
Have look at the pictures in post 22 of this thread.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8523-How-to-fit-a-Pertronix-Electronic-Ignition-system-to-your-GQ-TB42&p=233753

In the first picture you will see the large White wire with the Black trace, the one you have power in (centre bottom of picture. To the left you will see two large Red wires. Don't worry about the small wire on the RHS.

This large White wire was connected to one side of the ballast resistor and the two Red wires were connected on the other side of the ballast resistor. The White wire supplies power to the ballast resistor.

One Red wire runs from the ballast resistor to the positive side of the coil and the other Red wire is for the ballast resistor bypass during cranking.

If you are removing the ballast resistor you need to join the large White wire to the large Red wires.

At the coil you should have the original Red wire going to the positive side of the coil and possible two Blue wires connected to the negative side of the coil.

One blue wire is for the tacho and the other Blue wire goes to your points in the distributor, you don't need this one anymore.

You should also have the new Red and Black wires from you Pertronix unit.

GT40 coil does not require the ballast resistor.

Yendor
17th September 2012, 01:19 PM
Here is the basic set up.

1. Join the large White wire to the large Red wires.
2. Fit the GT40 coil and connect the original Red wire to the positive of the coil.
3. Connect the red wire from you Pertronix unit to the positive of the coil and connect the black wire from the Pertronix unit to the negative of the coil.

Leave the other wires disconnected for now, does the vehicle start?.

jamied
17th September 2012, 01:52 PM
Ok so with white wire, original red wire and red wire from the igniter on the positive side of coil and black wire from the negative side of coil and it will not start.
There is no spark from the coil.

jamied
17th September 2012, 01:56 PM
The original red wire has no power even when cranking. From what you've said I'm thinking it should have power when the vehicle is cranking. Does that sound right to you. If so where is it comming from and are there any fuses or relays it goes through.

jamied
17th September 2012, 02:05 PM
Forget that last one. The red wire does have power only when cranking. There goes that idea

Yendor
17th September 2012, 02:13 PM
Ok so with white wire, original red wire and red wire from the igniter on the positive side of coil and black wire from the negative side of coil and it will not start.
There is no spark from the coil.

You should have spark. Just double check that you have power at the positive side of the coil when cranking.

Yesterday did you connect the White wire to the negative side of the coil and try to start the engine? if so I would say you have blown your igniter.

Yendor
17th September 2012, 02:15 PM
Forget that last one. The red wire does have power only when cranking. There goes that idea

Yes one Red wire will only have power in it when cranking.

The second Red wire is just a loop from the ballast resistor to the positive side of the coil.

jamied
17th September 2012, 02:23 PM
I remover the second red wire figured without using the resister it doesn't do anything. So If the pertronix is stuffed would that stop the coil creating a spark or should it still be sparking. That's whats got me stuffed. I will just get another pertronix but I want to be sure that's the problem before buying another one.

Yendor
17th September 2012, 02:30 PM
I'll PM you my phone number, give me a call.

jamied
17th September 2012, 02:38 PM
Thanks appreciate the help