PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Towbar Tongue Rusted In

2TROLLFAM
16th September 2012, 01:33 PM
Well it seems we have a dilemma - bought a bike rack to take kids bikes with us to the QLD get together. Problem is it appears my towbar is well and truly stuck!!!!!

After 2 weeks of spraying with WD40/INOX ect and banging the F out of it Brad decided today to pull whole thing off and chuck it on his press ... Prick of a thing hasn't budged even a millimeter .... Haven't got any oxy so he also made his own little blow torch to heat it up but alas no go.

Don't really want to tie to a tree/his patrol incase we damage the cars ..

Any suggestions ?? Currently just got it sitting in his 30tonne press and moving on to wiring in the dual battery system for Amelia ..20173

2TROLLFAM
16th September 2012, 01:40 PM
Ummm ignore pic of AJ ... Bloody Tappatalk LOL dunno how I added her ?? hahahahaha

threedogs
16th September 2012, 01:51 PM
that was a chick?? anyway other than oxy, put it on the ground use a different letter than "F" try "S", hitting the outside trying to break where they are rusted together. on the corners of the RHS may be a good idea, so tow hitch wont change shape. Talking capital "S" here

2TROLLFAM
16th September 2012, 02:04 PM
LOL yes my 7yr old a few weeks ago when my 17yr was "playing"

Really don't think "S" is strong enough to get my point across but will try anything .... thanx :)

wildgu6
16th September 2012, 02:06 PM
Aah like mother like daughter hahahaha sorry Shaz, top pic anyway.
Only thing i can think of to free it up is an oxy set, or maybe some rust inhibitor (poor it on an let it do its work) or penatrol, you might be lucky, depends how rusted it is.

if all else fails and you dont have any luck, tell Brad to look at threedogs avatar and try the same lol

patch697
16th September 2012, 02:11 PM
I've had this happen before & although I didn't remove it & try using a press I did throw some heat at it & it worked a treat, almost fell out in fact.

threedogs
16th September 2012, 02:33 PM
Might be quicker, easier just to take it to a boilermakers and get them to apply some heat, unless there is a member close by with oxy

2TROLLFAM
16th September 2012, 02:43 PM
Ummm yeah - Brad the Boilermaker doesn't have an oxy at home LOL (get nearly every other flipping boy toy) looks like a trip to work with him LOL

threedogs
16th September 2012, 02:46 PM
Gotta do what a gals gotta do I suppose.
Could throw it in a fire and re paint it later.

2TROLLFAM
16th September 2012, 02:47 PM
Oooh ooh ooh tjeres movement - only about 2mm but that brings hope HAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAH

2TROLLFAM
16th September 2012, 02:50 PM
Make heart went bang Shang alang!!!20174

She's coming out!!!!! Wooohoooo take that back its OUT!!!

2TROLLFAM
16th September 2012, 02:51 PM
The press worked ... Sooooo excited over a towbar LOL that's sad!!!

threedogs
16th September 2012, 02:57 PM
Thats great took a little while for all the WD40 etc to work,
dry it off respray ,re fit done, you got excited over a towbar??
mind boggles lol

patch697
16th September 2012, 03:01 PM
Thats great took a little while for all the WD40 etc to work,
dry it off respray ,re fit done, you got excited over a towbar??
mind boggles lol

Was it the towbar that excited her or the coming out part???........hahahahaha

Great news Shaz & hats off to Brad for a job well done.

Now go buy him some Bourbon & cook him a nice BBQ ......lol

wildgu6
16th September 2012, 03:17 PM
Good stuff, nice work Brad.... Bevy time while Shaz fits it back on lol

2TROLLFAM
16th September 2012, 03:21 PM
LMFAO!! aparently now he can continue ATTENDING his other girlfriend "Amelia" and her dual battery stuff .... whilst I get to clean/file/respray my towbar ...

Hope he remembers HE is putting it back on frank - I could break a nail :)