PDA

View Full Version : Auto Shifting Issues, shifting way too low, wont kick overdrive

Neesmo31
14th September 2012, 09:39 AM
Hey all, bacially car has been running fine, but all of a sudden the auto is playing up a bit. Symptoms:

In D with overdrive on, car will change 1st, 2nd, 3rd into 4th at about 35km/h - way too low, and by the time it hits 4th its bogging soo bad that you dont go anywhere.

When the car is bogging down, you hold it flat, and it wont kick down either.

Lastly, no overdrive on the highway even at 110 - 120km/h.

It will shift fine through 1-2 2-3 3-4 manually.

TPS???

Thank you everyone in advance.

threedogs
14th September 2012, 10:38 AM
Can't be related but when fitting DAWES to control boost, I was not happy with the way it was shifting,[similar to yours]
After adjusting boost and needle valve it seemed to sort it out. It shifts fine now, No idea how the two are related but it
was very frustrating at the time. What are you driving???
Are you blowing heaps of black smoke???
Maybe a hose has split or come loose from the intercooler? remove engine cover to check

taslucas
14th September 2012, 10:40 AM
Yep I'd check TPS first. Those are definite symptoms of a faulty TPS.

Tap, crackle, pop

patch697
14th September 2012, 10:46 AM
X3 on the TPS

taslucas
14th September 2012, 10:56 AM
Pull plug off TPS and give a good clean inside. Make sure contacts are clean etc etc. Check where the shaft goes into the TPS and make sure it turns freely and is clean etc.

Tap, crackle, pop

threedogs
14th September 2012, 10:58 AM
Just read archives thread from Toecutter, same problem
TPS cost from Mr Nissan $500, he managed to fix his for zip
very similar to cleaning the MAF sensor .worth a read if anyone could put thread here

Neesmo31
14th September 2012, 11:43 AM
Should of clarified, its a TB42EFI, sorry. All the plugs seem fine and my tuner has said that it probably is the TPS as well. I can get another TPS for the TB42EFI (with auto) for $149. Only thing is that I may have to get a computer sorted to recalibrate the ECU TPS as its running a Haltech.

Plugs are in good nick though, I smash dielectric grease on every connector I possibly can. Will test the TPS tonight, clean and advise on the results. Thanks everyone so far.

taslucas
14th September 2012, 01:32 PM
Just read archives thread from Toecutter, same problem
TPS cost from Mr Nissan $500, he managed to fix his for zip
very similar to cleaning the MAF sensor .worth a read if anyone could put thread here

Wow, $500??? I wonder how different the price is between efi and carby models. Mine (for a carby model) was around $160.
From memory toecutters problem was the 'fly by wire' module. Is that correct threedogs?
If so I think that might be different to a TPS.
I'm probably wrong though!

Tap, crackle, pop

patch697
14th September 2012, 01:59 PM
Wow, $500??? I wonder how different the price is between efi and carby models. Mine (for a carby model) was around $160.
From memory toecutters problem was the 'fly by wire' module. Is that correct threedogs?
If so I think that might be different to a TPS.
I'm probably wrong though!

Tap, crackle, pop

The TPS for the carby models is a much simpler unit which was installed as a stand alone for autos only so I can see why they'd be cheaper.

taslucas
14th September 2012, 02:03 PM
The TPS for the carby models is a much simpler unit which was installed as a stand alone for autos only so I can see why they'd be cheaper.

Yeah I have one.
Where is the tps for an efi?

Tap, crackle, pop

threedogs
14th September 2012, 02:06 PM
Yeah think Toecutter had a drive by wire as Mr Nissan sold it pedal and all

taslucas
14th September 2012, 02:15 PM
Yeah think Toecutter had a drive by wire as Mr Nissan sold it pedal and all

Ahhh I have a memory like a sieve but occasionally it catches a noodle! So yeah, different to a TPS.

Tap, crackle, pop

NissanGQ4.2
14th September 2012, 09:10 PM
Yeah I have one.
Where is the tps for an efi?

Tap, crackle, pop

Pretty sure this is it Lucas, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong

Neesmo31
14th September 2012, 09:46 PM
Problem solved. Will post the fix when i get back to computer.

taslucas
15th September 2012, 06:05 PM
Pretty sure this is it Lucas, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong

looks exactly the same as the non-efi ones

NissanGQ4.2
15th September 2012, 08:28 PM
looks exactly the same as the non-efi ones

it sure does, they both cost the same 2 but there must be a difference in the internals as why would you bother listing them as different parts if there the same?

The Patrol Y61 10/97-9/01 TB45E 4.5L Automatic and Patrol Y61 10/97-9/01 TB45E 4.5L Manual look different and are different prices

ckh
12th January 2013, 06:02 AM

What was the fix?

ckh
20th January 2013, 02:16 AM

what was the fix?