PDA

View Full Version : Making Steering lighter?

healy
13th September 2012, 09:58 PM
So I've got a lokka in the front. When it's locked it's fn heavy is it possible to make abit lighter or is it just something I need to get use to

nissannewby
13th September 2012, 10:58 PM
You can port the pumps out to promote more flow which will help. But is normal for a locker to create heavier steering in the front.

patch697
14th September 2012, 01:11 AM
Yes mate, it is a common result with a Lokka or similar style diff center replacements for the steering to get a little heavier.

Yes it is probably something you should consider just getting used to as its only an issue when the hubs are in.

If your power steering pump & hoses are all in good shape adding something as simple as a power steering fluid additive can noticeably improve the feel in the wheel so to speak, along with the added advantage of improving your power steering fluid stability at high temps (which is the case when out bush) its a cheap as experiment at the very least............... (I've done it myself & it did give me a small but noticeable improvement which is all I was looking for).

One thing I have read others doing in some cases as well to combat steering issues with Lokka system installed is to disengage one of the front hub (talking manual hubs here of cause)when its not as critical to have both wheels locked in as it is to regains some attitude back in the steering..... (I've not done this to date but I thought it worth a mention)

threedogs
14th September 2012, 07:06 AM
There's a knack to it but you can alter your driving style a little.
Now you have a LOKKA you should be tackling tracks at a much slower pace.
when the steering gets hard, try backing off the throttle a tad to restore the steering
Depending on conditions it will work, give it a go

healy
14th September 2012, 11:16 AM
Thanks fellas

04OFF
15th September 2012, 08:32 AM
when the steering gets hard, try backing off the throttle a tad to restore the steering

Yes i can 100% vouch for this style, i only got to use my LOKKA in the sand, but this (soft sand) was the area i was most concerned about when having the front locked.

In my research before my purchase, i found it quite amazing "nobody" ,seemed to have very clear answers, or could tell me exactly how a LOKKA reacts when turning on soft sand tracks with ruts, and as normally (in a standard car) you would use "acceleration" to turn out of ruts/tracks, with a LOKKA, "acceleration" would keep the front locked (not good for steering)

As threedogs described is a method that works very well, and once you master the technique its easy, after a bit of practice, im sure my car felt like it turned harder in sand than before i had a LOKKA !

healy
16th September 2012, 10:01 PM
Worked a lot better with this method