PDA

View Full Version : Z30 exhaust brake

threedogs
13th September 2012, 10:00 AM
Just wondering if anyone has or thought about fitting an exhaust brake on the 3 litre auto? IF at all it can be done.
Auto not to best going down steep inclines.
Cost wise is it worth it, all the usual questions price? etc

nissannewby
13th September 2012, 10:38 AM
I have thought about doing it myself. With the right advice and gear it could quite easily be done. You will need a compressor with a tank to operate it then put a switch in with a proxy for your accelerator so it works with no throttle. I think cost wise and setup its probably similar to doing reduction gears in the transfer case. The exhaust brake themselves are relatively cheap you just bolt them into your current exhaust. It will be the compressor and electrics side of it that will take the work.

BillsGU
13th September 2012, 02:01 PM
Would be a waste of time on an auto unless you had a manual lock up for the transmission - then the engine compression is so good you would not need an exhaust brake!

threedogs
13th September 2012, 03:38 PM
My Auto guy can't do auto conversion, thinking is that most might have a tank[cylinder] for the air side of things,
maybe problems as its drive by wire, Keep researching newby think if easy enough it would be a great product.
otherwise I'll have to find a shop who can wire up my auto.

BillsGU do you have manual locked up auto???

BillsGU
14th September 2012, 09:53 AM
BillsGU do you have manual locked up auto???

No - but it is very easy to do. There is a thread on here that explains it in detail. Have a search as I can't remember exactly what it was called.

Try this link:

http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/release.asp?NewsId=42068

threedogs
14th September 2012, 10:33 AM
Thanks billsGU I've emailled them for pricing and how difficult/easy it is to install.
By the looks of it its only a few connections, but we'll see.

BillsGU
14th September 2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks billsGU I've emailled them for pricing and how difficult/easy it is to install.
By the looks of it its only a few connections, but we'll see.

Let us know how you go. I have been going to do this mod but it is low down on my list of priorities.

threedogs
14th September 2012, 02:09 PM
Theres a dual cab ute you can win in 4x4 aust mag,
They have done this mod, $125 rings a bell for some reason,
but I'll wait and see

BillsGU
14th September 2012, 02:56 PM
Theres a dual cab ute you can win in 4x4 aust mag,
They have done this mod, $125 rings a bell for some reason,
but I'll wait and see

$125 sounds a bit rich. All you need is a switch, a relay some wire and a few connectors.

ashleylipus
14th September 2012, 09:43 PM
good idea to get a bigger transmission oil cooler if ur going to fit that torque converter lock up!

my third 256
15th September 2012, 11:04 AM
No - but it is very easy to do. There is a thread on here that explains it in detail. Have a search as I can't remember exactly what it was called.

Try this link:

http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/release.asp?NewsId=42068
$325 dollars on ebayfor this item
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Torque-Converter-Lock-Up-Manual-Control-Kit-Suit-Most-Models-/250923660970

threedogs
15th September 2012, 11:37 AM
Wow I only got the $25 part of it right, thats a hell of a lot of money for some wire a switch and relay, I know its what is does that counts,but no way breathing I'm paying that much.
Plan "B" now

BillsGU
15th September 2012, 06:30 PM
good idea to get a bigger transmission oil cooler if ur going to fit that torque converter lock up!

Why would you need to do that?

threedogs
15th September 2012, 06:33 PM
X 2 I would of thought bigger cooler etc for sand or heavy towing duties

Surely someone here can whip these looms up at a reasonable price

Robo
16th September 2012, 12:56 AM
Think you will find the std exh manifold studs are not up to the task, "exhaust breaks".
I've read about this type of thing a few times now and the outcome was no good, blown manifolds.
If your bus was designed to handle the extra exh back pressure in the first place, then no pros.
sadly not likely on a small truck like a patrol, over say 8t gvm and that be another story.

Cheers

BillsGU
16th September 2012, 01:45 PM
This link tells you how to do it and has a circuit diagram.

http://www.chaz.yellowfoot.org/Lockup%20Trans%20Switch.htm

threedogs
16th September 2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks BillsGU, is there anything Chaz doesn't know about the Z30. I'll give it a go and pass it on to my Auto guy.