PDA

View Full Version : To Boost or Not to Boost...

KL570
12th September 2012, 09:26 AM
and no this isnt about turbos hahaha!

So the clutch booster on the GQ is completely effed.

should i replace the master slave and have no boost?
or should i just for out the 250 for a booster and pat 180 for the new master and slave on top?

i dont like it when things break...

Kade

KL570
12th September 2012, 09:37 AM
Or just do this?
http://atocauto.com.au/proddetail.asp?prod=30684_01J25

Winnie
12th September 2012, 09:45 AM
I think you should turbo anyway.

Irvs
12th September 2012, 09:49 AM
Definitely boost, at least 20 pounds

KL570
12th September 2012, 10:07 AM
bleeeeeeeeeh

thanks guys...
hahaha

but seriously, anyone have a non boosted GQ clutch?

KL570
12th September 2012, 10:31 AM
bump...bump...

patch697
12th September 2012, 10:58 AM
Mate, at the end of the day its personal choice as to whether you want a boosted clutch or not.

If its your daily & you want to have your left leg noticeably bigger then your right then go the none boosted option.

If its your daily & you don't want the whole leg thing going on or maybe your wife/partner drives the Rig then fix or replace your clutch booster.

I've had heavy clutched cars most of my life & it didn't tend to bother me much but would I go back to a non boosted clutch???..... Not on your life.... Its just works so well with a booster.

P.s. I like the look of that kit you found & would probably go that way if it was me.... I've rekited plenty of break boosters & its really not that hard. Have a look on youtube, someone might have posted a DIY.

KL570
12th September 2012, 11:12 AM
what about for out bush? reckon boosted would be easier? or reliability of non boosted?

cheers :)

patch697
12th September 2012, 11:22 AM
what about for out bush? reckon boosted would be easier? or reliability of non boosted?

cheers :)

Mate they're brilliant out in the bush, you can leave your foot on it for hrs if needed & as far as reliability is concerned??? even if your clutch booster did let go in the bush, its not going to stop you driving out of the bush.

The only reason you hear of the odd one or few being done of late is there age & given there age I'd hate to even contemplate how many times that clutch peddles been stood on????

Go fix your booster mate & be done with it.... By the sound of it your missing it already & rightly so cos they're awesome.....lol

KL570
12th September 2012, 11:26 AM
Mate they're brilliant out in the bush, you can leave your foot on it for hrs if needed & as far as reliability is concerned??? even if your clutch booster did let go in the bush, its not going to stop you driving out of the bush.

The only reason you hear of the odd one or few being done of late is there age & given there age I'd hate to even contemplate how many times that clutch peddles been stood on????

Go fix your booster mate & be done with it.... By the sound of it your missing it already & rightly so cos they're awesome.....lol

too true...

youd make a good fourbie psychologist hahaha

think ill go order that rebuild kit now!

thanks man :)

patch697
12th September 2012, 11:29 AM
too true...

youd make a good fourbie psychologist hahaha

think ill go order that rebuild kit now!

thanks man :)

Anytime brother Troller.

KL570
12th September 2012, 12:36 PM
Just ordered the rebuild kit! excellent site to order from, and express postage for $14! see how express it really is hahaha

stay tuned for a rebuild thread ;)

KL570
12th September 2012, 12:57 PM
Holy crap! these guys just emailed me saying theyve posted it... hectic.

anyone ever used them? www.atocauto.com.au

spektrum
18th September 2012, 01:56 PM
Hi KL570 ... what were the symtoms of the Clutch Booster going? I think mine is on the way out too. The clutch peddle has gone really heavy.

How are you going with the rebuild?

KL570
25th September 2012, 07:35 PM
Finished! Will update with pics tomorrow!

KL570
25th September 2012, 07:36 PM
And yes that sounds like the booster going to me :/ or a really stuck slave/master cylinder. Poke your head under and check the slave and pushrod to the clutch fork

spektrum
26th September 2012, 12:28 PM
And yes that sounds like the booster going to me :/ or a really stuck slave/master cylinder. Poke your head under and check the slave and pushrod to the clutch fork

This is really interesting ... I was trying to remove my steering wheel from the column spline, which requires lots of banging on the steering wheel ... and afterwards I found that the clutch peddle was now super smooth and light. I think the vibrations on the steering column were transferred up the firewall to the clutch booster and master unit. It didn't provide a permanent solution though, but each time the peddle goes heavy I can just bang the steering wheel a few times and it all comes good....

I had replaced the clutch a few months ago, and replaced the clutch master and slave a few years ago. I'll do the rebuild on the booster and check the master/slave cylinders at the same time...

Just another task to add to the to-do list...