PDA

View Full Version : i broke spark plug - how to get it out

karol
9th September 2012, 06:34 PM
hi
i have a tb42s and i was checking my spark plugs today and as i was tightening the no1 spark plug i managed to snap it off. so i have the part with thread on it stuck inside the head. i tried to take it out with screw extractor but i didnt move.
to make things even worst then i tried to turn the engine with starter motor and as it was reving it was spiting quite a lot water out of the spark plug hole. so is it possible that i cracked the head in process of screw extracting or is there some water line which is normally plugged by the spark plug? and is ti possible to extract the broken spark plug without taking the head off.
cheers

growler2058
9th September 2012, 07:24 PM
Far out ive never heard of a spark plug snapping and only leaving the thread. man if theres water squirtng out then yeah it sounds like the head is fubar

threedogs
9th September 2012, 07:32 PM
Use an EASY OUT, if you don't have any hardware sell for $30-50 a set of 4. well worth having for other jobs as well, good luck
Spark plugs only need to be nipped up, backed off and nipped again, never swing on them to tighten. No idea where water coming from

my third 256
9th September 2012, 07:36 PM
sounds like you have cross threaded it
there is mobs around who will come out to you and extract out broken bolts and studs
there is a thread on here somewhere to do with a broken glow plug
i will try and find it
also where abouts are you

threedogs
9th September 2012, 07:55 PM
Its called a helicoil, just be carefull when you retap the new thread, easy job once broken one out

the ferret
9th September 2012, 08:30 PM
Water should not come out of the spark plug hole, end of story.
You have a head problem, with luck it will be only the gasket, the gasket if it has blown, will be between cylinders 1 and 2, pull number two plug and see if water comes out when you turn it over.
If water comes out there too, Gasket or cracked head.
Cheers, the ferret.

Robo
9th September 2012, 11:09 PM
Bro there are a couple of water pipes directly under inlet manifold & cyl 1.
They lead from behind water pump and under thermostat.
If your lucky 1 of these maybe squirting water upwards and hopefully you have misdiagnosed where water is coming from.
My fingers are crossed for ya.
As for the plug sorry to hear that.
I always use a little anti seize on plugs for this type of reason they can be temperamental going in and out.

happygu
9th September 2012, 11:41 PM
Could be fuel under compression which is being forced out, and looks a little like water. It would be really unusual to have water coming out of the spark plug hole.

Mic

the ferret
9th September 2012, 11:41 PM
Yep, agree, but if water IS coming from the plug holes, she's cactus, sorry.
Cheers, the ferret.

patch697
10th September 2012, 02:22 AM
Are you 100% its water???....If it is then I hate to be the barer of bad news mate but given what you've explained in your post, the only clear solution I can see to fix it properly is to remove the head.

Whether your water problem is head gasket or cracked head related, the head will need to come off to fix it either way & while its off you can deal with your broken plug issue.

mafras
11th September 2012, 08:05 AM
to be honest mate , the best solution is to remove the cylinder head. I don't think that its water coming out of the spark plug whole ( That's very unusual . )but if it is then the head would have to be replaced .
Trying to get it out like that can lead to something falling into the cylinder (without noticing ) and then you can get more damage then there already is.

Bloodyaussie
11th September 2012, 08:16 AM
Doubt it is water more than likely unburnt fuel.

Now if there are a professional mob around that deal in this and you have no experience I would call them as the other option is expensive.

Did you just re-use the same spark plug?? New plugs have a compression ring around them and you should never try to over tighten as a plug will seem to tighten itself.

If you used the same plug that compression ring would be flat and it is much easier to over tighten if you dont know.

I have seen the other side of this and it is people worried about snapping a plug and never do it up enough and the plugs work them selves loose.

Good luck!!!

my third 256
11th September 2012, 08:40 AM
hi
i have a tb42s and i was checking my spark plugs today and as i was tightening the no1 spark plug i managed to snap it off. so i have the part with thread on it stuck inside the head. i tried to take it out with screw extractor but i didnt move.
to make things even worst then i tried to turn the engine with starter motor and as it was reving it was spiting quite a lot water out of the spark plug hole. so is it possible that i cracked the head in process of screw extracting or is there some water line which is normally plugged by the spark plug? and is ti possible to extract the broken spark plug without taking the head off.
cheers
hey mate where abouts are you

karol
12th September 2012, 09:45 PM
thanks everyone for good advice
i took the head of today. it was easier than i thought.
is it possible to see a crack in the head just with naked eye or does it need to be somehow professorially tested. i couldnt see anything obvious.
what was squirting out of the cylinder looked like water and didnt smell like petrol. when i took the head of i couldnt see any water as the cylinder was at TDC. gasket looks perfectly good as well.
im in sydney
cheers

the ferret
12th September 2012, 09:50 PM
That's a good sign, but it's a good idea to have it crack tested before it goes back on.
Some cracks you can see, some you can't, and clean it up and check the valves and seats and guides.
Cheers, the ferret.

Oleksiy
13th September 2012, 07:01 PM
Some useful info right there

threedogs
13th September 2012, 07:21 PM
You can buy crack testing spray in cans probably from your bearing supplier eg CBC.
spray one can to penetrate crack, spray 2nd can to highlight it , crack will show up

karol
15th September 2012, 08:57 PM
Crack i found after i removed the head.

happygu
15th September 2012, 09:11 PM
That's not a good find - where abouts is the crack?

karol
15th September 2012, 09:41 PM
inside no.1 intake valve chamber

karol
15th September 2012, 09:44 PM
i was thinking about getting a second hand head from wreckers and throw all the good bits from my head in it and a vrs kit. basicali overhaul it. only thing i dont know is what are the chances that
the head from wreckers will not be cracked as well.

patch697
15th September 2012, 10:53 PM
TB42 head cracking is such a common thing I'd hate to take a chance like that myself.

The long & shot of it is mate, you could be lucky or its could end up costing you even more in the long run.

Buying a S/H head from a wreckers really is a gamble at best & the odds are 50/50, question is do you think its a risk your willing to take?

Also keep in mind.... Even if it comes from the wreckers with a Warranty, the remove & refit + the cost of the VRS Kit'ssssss all comes out of your pocket regardless.

Robo
16th September 2012, 12:10 AM
Sorry to Hi jack.
May help you and others.
A side question in relation to head cooling/cracking.
Have seen a multi hose setup that taps into cyl head to either increase flow or remove air pockets.
Is this worth while the heads off?.
Cheers.