PDA

View Full Version : Solar Hot Water

Yendor
9th September 2012, 10:59 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm having problems with my solar hot water system. It has the panels on the roof and the storage tank on the ground.

The 240 volt circulation pump has stopped pumping, does anyone know where I can get a replacement pump from or know of another (better quality) brand of pump that will fit?

The pump is a Salmson sb04-15

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers Rodney

Irvs
9th September 2012, 11:32 AM
Does the pump have a skim filter (like a spa or pool) if so clean it. Is the pump actually seized? Get an extension lead out with known 240v on it and plug it in. If it runs it means the electronics have lost their brains.

Good luck

Yendor
9th September 2012, 11:55 AM
When switched on, the pump makes all the right noises, if you give the impeller a push it thinks about rotating but doesn't, you can feel the magnetic force on the impeller when the pump is on.

I have removed the pump and it's seized. I have taken the impeller of the shaft but I can't get the armature out.

Irvs
9th September 2012, 11:59 AM
Could it be a seized bearing?

MC97GQ
9th September 2012, 12:02 PM
Hey Rodney,

Can you post a pic of the pump, if it is a straight water pump have a look on some of the Cheapy websites (Deals Direct, OO etc) they have 240V pumps all the time.

I replaced one in my on site sewerage treatment system for a 1/4 the price of an equivelant ONGA - so I got two for spares.

Good luck with it

Mark

Yendor
9th September 2012, 12:16 PM
Could it be a seized bearing?

Could be, I can see rust stains around the shaft under where the impeller sits. I currently have it soaking in WD40 hopefully this might free it up so I can remove it and have a look.

I just not sure if it presses out or screws out, It looks like it might screw out.

Yendor
9th September 2012, 12:17 PM
Hey Rodney,

Can you post a pic of the pump, if it is a straight water pump have a look on some of the Cheapy websites (Deals Direct, OO etc) they have 240V pumps all the time.

I replaced one in my on site sewerage treatment system for a 1/4 the price of an equivelant ONGA - so I got two for spares.

Good luck with it

Mark

I will post some pictures shortly, just need to let camera battery charge up.

Yendor
9th September 2012, 12:49 PM
Here's the pictures of the pump.

Yendor
9th September 2012, 01:03 PM
Here's the picture of the armature/shaft.

Yendor
9th September 2012, 02:53 PM
Well after having it soaking in CRC for a few hours it has finally freed up, I am still unable to remove the shaft from the housing.

It looks like the top of the shaft runs in a bush, I don't know if the bottom also runs in a bush or bearing.

The shaft also does not look like it is water tight.

So what do I do.

1. Refit the pump and see how it goes?
2. Keep trying to find a replacement pump?

Is there a product better then WD40 for this application? something that can lubricate and repel water for longer, when possible submerged?

Stropp
9th September 2012, 05:23 PM
Mate what brand of solar is it? The places like tradlink or any good plumbing supply company shoul be able to supply one for you.

Yendor
9th September 2012, 06:44 PM
Mate what brand of solar is it? The places like tradlink or any good plumbing supply company shoul be able to supply one for you.

This is where it get's complicated the storage tank is made by Aquamax but not the pump or control unit , they sold the units to Conergy who apparently on sold these units to another company.

Apparently this other company has gone bust, I have been unable to contact them and they don't respond to my messages.

This company that has gone bust apparently has nothing to do with Conergy and the pump is not supplied by Aquamax.

my third 256
9th September 2012, 09:22 PM
could put in a grunfos pump might need to do a bit of plumbing
but with the 2 barell unions i think it might go straight inbetween here is a link to a store
http://www.pumps2you.com/pumps/Grundfos-Pumps
stephen

Stropp
9th September 2012, 10:09 PM
Mate under consumer law whoever supplied the unit has to honor the warranty, not ideal for the company who sold it to you but that is the law, check with consumer affairs as to what you need to do.

Forced Offroad
9th September 2012, 10:32 PM
Are you paying off your unit in you powerbill by any chance.
Have you called aqumax tech services

Yendor
9th September 2012, 10:40 PM
It's out of warranty,

Yes I have spoken with Aquamax, it's not their brand of pump.