PDA

View Full Version : Fitting MQ Clutch Slave Cylinder

trublubiker
8th September 2012, 02:12 PM
I'm in the process of fitting a new clutch slave cylinder to my '87 MQ/MK SD33T.

A friend helped remove the old slave so I didn't actually see what came off the forks but there is a hole about 3/4" in the fork and the slave cylinder push-rod is only about 1/4". I'm guessing there was some sort of a cup involved which is now floating around somewhere.

Anyone know what the missing bit is?

Thanks in advance for any info.

patch697
8th September 2012, 02:32 PM
From memory your push rod should a adjustment nut on it with a half moon face that should locate in the clutch.

Post up a pick or 2 of what you do have as it will probably help us to better help you with your question.

Hopefully MQ MAD see's this & replies cos he would be able to tell you right off the top of he's head exactly what you should have.

trublubiker
8th September 2012, 03:21 PM
Thanks patch.

There is no adjustment nut on the rod. I'll keep trying to find a manual that I can access to have a look.

Cheers

patch697
8th September 2012, 03:25 PM
Thanks patch.

There is no adjustment nut on the rod. I'll keep trying to find a manual that I can access to have a look.

Cheers

What....... as in its missing or yours doesn't have adjustment full stop????

MQ MAD
9th September 2012, 11:25 AM
Hopefully MQ MAD see's this & replies cos he would be able to tell you right off the top of he's head exactly what you should have.

Cheers Patch,

The slave cylinder push rods dont have any adjusting nuts/bolts at that point
Only adjusting,thread,bolt,nut are at the clutch pedal clutch push rod,up under the dash
The clutch throwout bearing fork will have a scolloped point for the clutch slave push rod, this is generally larger than the pushrods diameter,its no issue as there all like that
Get the new slave cylinder,fit it,pump like crazy,crack the bleeder, do it a few times and that should be all
Or gravity bleed, crack the bleeder a touch, fit it and leave for ages, fluid will slowly push the air outta the bleeder, just ensure the master doesnt run outta fluid

Another tip, have a container of water handy , any fluid on the paint work rinse of with water, the stuff lifts paint

trublubiker
9th September 2012, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the reply MQ MAD.

Hopefully the new slave cylinder will arrive tomorrow so I'll see how I go.

Cheers

trublubiker
9th September 2012, 08:10 PM
What....... as in its missing or yours doesn't have adjustment full stop????

Yep, no adjustment on the slave push-rod but MQ MAD has explained this.

Thank you for your input patch.

trublubiker
10th September 2012, 02:20 PM
Well I've just had the same wrong part sent to me for the second time, from a different eBay seller.

It appears that the Ultima Slave Cylinder, part # JB4160 have shipped some wrong units in the boxes.

Hopefully sorted now.

Turned a 30 minute job into 5 days. Just as well I'm retired and can walk to the shop and the place that sells the cool, frothy, cleansing ale.

MQ MAD
11th September 2012, 10:57 AM
Just as well I'm retired and can walk to the shop and the place that sells the cool, frothy, cleansing ale.

Ah the joys of living in the burbs .......
Id drink a carton or more walking back from my local watering hole

Most of the numbnuts sellers on ebay wouldnt know what an MQ was
I spent absolutely ages tracking down shocks for my old MQ, yet every seller said they would fit,but the box said so thats all they knew
There are differences between petrol and diesel slave cylinders, dont rely on the idiot ebay sellers

trublubiker
13th September 2012, 01:58 PM
This time it seems the fault is with the manufacturer for wrongly labelling the boxes.

Eventually got the correct cylinder after asking the seller to open the box and actually check that it was the right unit.

Anyway it's now fitted and I'm back on the road.

Thanks all for the help.