PDA

View Full Version : Grinding.... ??

KL570
8th September 2012, 08:50 AM
Hey guys,

So symptom is when I drive up proper rutted out hills and stuff, and even if I go in my driveway the wrong way, there's a super super loud fringing noise coming from the back right hand corner of the car....

I thought it might be a screwed axle or something, has anyone got any ideas??

threedogs
8th September 2012, 08:58 AM
You may have run out of brakes, if its disc rear end check your disc for scoring Should be able to see through the wheel.

nissannewby
8th September 2012, 11:11 AM
I would be checking all the basics first. Check your brakes and pads, make sure there isnt any debris in there as well. Unlikely its an axle very rare for the rear of a patrol to do an axle. Your wheel bearings could need a regrease or replacement. Also check all your bushes, if work they may be allowing the diff to move around causing something to rub at certain points of suspension travel.

Clunk
8th September 2012, 11:39 AM
Debris between disc and disc guard? (If you have discs that is)

KL570
9th September 2012, 12:03 AM
Sorry misspelt that.

Has a grinding noise. Nothing to do with the brake as it only happens under acceleration and no brakes applied...

Cheers, kade

Clunk
9th September 2012, 12:31 AM
My old man's Pajero had a grinding a while back but would only ever happen when reversing...... Found it was just a stone caught up in between the disc an disc guard, very noisy and very odd that it only ever happened when reversing......... Not saying that's the same as yours but a nice easy free fix if it turned out to be that...... If its nit then onto the next thing, brakes or bearings, uni joint.....

Tap till ya can tap no more.....

KL570
9th September 2012, 08:01 AM
Mmm I'll strip it down and have a look! Thanks guys :)

jakepatrol
9th September 2012, 07:00 PM
i had this problem, right rear brake was stuck on lol

taslucas
9th September 2012, 09:02 PM
maybe your tyre rubbing inside the gaurd somewhere only on certain flex?

KL570
10th September 2012, 11:25 PM
Nah none of these so far :\ don't quite know what it is! It's definately metal..

nissannewby
11th September 2012, 03:39 AM
It wouldnt be your tailshaft rubbing on the crossmember?

KL570
11th September 2012, 08:36 AM
It wouldnt be your tailshaft rubbing on the crossmember?

Huzzah!!! You win the million dollar question!

Turns out, where the tail shaft universal joint meets the diff, it's been grinding up against the fuel tank and certain points due to a screwed trailing arm bush :)

nissannewby
11th September 2012, 10:00 AM
What do I win.....

healy
11th September 2012, 10:32 AM
You wine the opportunity to go fix the problem for him congratulations

Ben-e-boy
11th September 2012, 03:05 PM
What do I win.....

1 million dollars worth of nothing

spektrum
18th September 2012, 01:49 PM
Huzzah!!! You win the million dollar question!

Turns out, where the tail shaft universal joint meets the diff, it's been grinding up against the fuel tank and certain points due to a screwed trailing arm bush :)

I had problem when I bent the rear panhard rod. Check the bushes in the panhard as well.

my third 256
19th September 2012, 08:33 AM
lucky you found it out now and not when you had a hole in tank "just after you had filled it to the top"