PDA

View Full Version : Which Handle

threedogs
6th September 2012, 02:16 PM
Thought I would start on this Bowie blank.
What scales [Handle] do you think woud suit it better??
The black is jigged buffalo horn
the other is spalted timber,forgotten name, but needs polishing and clear.
Other pic is of some I've finished or need finishing.

Winnie
6th September 2012, 02:22 PM
Very cool knives wanna make me one?? LMAO
Can't go past a wooden handle in my opinion but that buffalo handle looks the duck's nuts. Go for whichever is more comfortable I guess.

MC97GQ
6th September 2012, 02:28 PM
Go the Buffalo Horn,

Nice knives mate.

growler2058
6th September 2012, 02:41 PM
I like stag horn

Tap tap drip drip

Silver
6th September 2012, 03:00 PM
Went looking to see what spalting is - colour and other changes due to fungi - quite interesting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spalting

I like that ribbed horn - suits the purposeful blade, and could inspire an interesting sheath. Kinda got that 'Alien' thing happening. Even plain black Kydex would be a start, but a jig could be made that put the same ribbing in the kydex when it is being heat formed.

threedogs
6th September 2012, 03:18 PM
Stag horn hard to come by, Faux stag looks ok see pic. Think that jigged look is to look like Antelope horn or something.
Camel bone is great too but like the buffalo horn it's no very wide. I've some burr walnut scales coming that might look ok with a brass highlight.
or coloured spacer. Yeah maybe the buff with stainless pins and s/s lanyard hole.

Just need someone who can do custom sheaths, or leather work???

The Redgum handle and sheath is from a bag of Bunnings firewood

threedogs
6th September 2012, 07:24 PM
Had A chance to fit the scales [handle[ and pins, so over the weekend I'll shape it up.

Clunk
6th September 2012, 09:07 PM
Have one of each lol

threedogs
7th September 2012, 02:29 PM
Here's an update, given it a rough shaping. the spalting shows up well. will now hand finish it.

Make me an offer I only put with the rest in a drawer,I'll never use it