PDA

View Full Version : Help Please with 4.2 EFI Injector Removal

NissanGQ4.2
5th September 2012, 06:34 PM
Hi guys and girls,

Just got a phone call from my old man who is currently holidaying in sunny QLD, he said the GQ was down on power and he wants to get his injectors done there before he returns to Sydney in a week or so.

Mechanic is going to charge $300 in labour just to remove them so if anyone knows how to remove the injectors from a 1991 4.2 EFI petrol motor please let me know.

Or does anyone know what page number in the manual its on?

Cheers

Toddie

the ferret
5th September 2012, 07:23 PM
How does he know it's the injectors Todd, might be dirty fuel, crook fuel pump or dirty fuel or air filter, plugs even.
Is it missing at all?.
Cheers, the ferret.

NissanGQ4.2
5th September 2012, 07:38 PM
How does he know it's the injectors Todd, might be dirty fuel, crook fuel pump or dirty fuel or air filter, plugs even.
Is it missing at all?.
Cheers, the ferret.

Hi Rod,

I think he was planing to get them done anyway, didn't get to chat to him for long as he has bad phone reception where he is so don't know any more than its down on power. He is an ex diesel mechanic, so he is mechanically minded, and I assume he knows what to check first before doing the injectors.

Cheers

Toddie

the ferret
5th September 2012, 07:48 PM
Hmmmmm, 3hundy, bit strong mate, just fer labour.
Cheers, the ferret.

Bigrig
5th September 2012, 08:05 PM
Having just done it on Ryan's truck (I swapped his injectors out) $300 isn't too bad - getting the plenum off is a nightmare and even with the right tools, it's a good 3-4 hours if you know what you're doing ... you'll definitely need a new upper gasket also (make sure you specify upper manifold gasket where it joins the plenum or they are likely to give you the one for where the intake manifold joins the head.

Those hidden bolts underneath (4 of) and the bolt on the underside against the firewall are tonnes of fun ... then disconnecting the vacuum lines, the intake and accelerator cable, etc ...

I can guide you through it if you want to call me - Let me know and I'll PM my mobile to you.

NissanGQ4.2
5th September 2012, 08:19 PM
yeh 300 labor, 300 to do the injectors 600 all up.

Sounds like fun Scotty, u must be a pro by now, I'll send my old man around on Saturday then shall I *LMAO*

I have your number already mate, unless you have a new once since the last one you gave me. I'll speak to him later and see if he still wants to do it himself. Do you mind if I give him your number and he wants 2 ask you anything?

Cheers

Toddie

Bigrig
5th September 2012, 08:26 PM
Hahahahahaha .... I should have read it properly!!!! I thought it was someone we didn't know (i.e. mate of a mate or something!! lol).

But yes, I reckon that your old man should be able to do it ... considering his background and all!! lol ... that it's a prick of a job ... and that $600 all up with new injectors (not sonic work to the existing ones) is not a bad price ...

PetroJect at Newmarket in Brisbane sell the injectors for about $48 each I think from memory (my 660cc injectors were $64 each and that was super cheap).

Anyways ... if he needs a hand, I'm in Sydney so can't get out to help him!!! lmao

EDIT: by the way, if he needs somewhere to do it, tools etc then by all means send him to my joint on Saturday ... more than happy to assist if he needs it.

NissanGQ4.2
5th September 2012, 08:32 PM
Anyways ... if he needs a hand, I'm in Sydney so can't get out to help him!!! lmao

So what your saying is you will be around tomorrow 2 do mine.......thanks mate, I'll even buy a case for the cause :)

Cheers mate

Bigrig
5th September 2012, 08:36 PM
So what your saying is you will be around tomorrow 2 do mine.......thanks mate, I'll even buy a case for the cause :)

Cheers mate

Haha - so long as it happens before 7:30am ... on a plane to Melbourne ... just sent you an SMS ...

NissanGQ4.2
5th September 2012, 08:42 PM
Haha - so long as it happens before 7:30am ... on a plane to Melbourne ... just sent you an SMS ...

You better get cracking then, if you start now you should be finished by the time you need 2 board the plane *L*

Thanks again for the offer mate, I'll pass that info on 2 my old man :)

ns3474
6th September 2012, 03:50 PM
i would be check the little sock on the end of the fuel pump located in the fuel tank,i have had same issue before.The sock get coated in all the crap that ends up in fuel tank.Prick of a job but a lot cheaper then replacing injectors that dont need to be replaced