PDA

View Full Version : James at Nelson Bay & Sydney - 05 GUiv

asixa
5th September 2012, 02:06 PM
Hi, James here. I Spend a bit of time between Nelson Bay and Sydney (Normanhurst).

Purchased a GU iv last week, after being without a 4wd for 5 years - last 4wd was a Toyota Hilux TD. I was originally looking at GU3 until I came across this one at a dealer. Had a horrible experience trying to buy privately (one of the sellers couldnt remember how long they owned it for, and couldnt explain why the KMs didnt look geniune, nor explain the reason for what seemed like fresh rego plates. After some investigations, turns out it was sold at Auction in Townsville only 4 weeks ago as a repo with a stripped engine, plus more KMs than showing on the clock! [incase another prospective purchaser googles the vin, here it is JN1TESY61A0356332 reg: 390JCH - plates have since been changed now with NSW reg])

My 3.0td Patrol is pretty standard - the only non factory bits are 33" and sunraysias.

Got its paws wet at the weekend at Fiddletown north of Sydney. Was great to lock it in low and enjoy the crawl.

My dayjob is a bit of a mixed bag. I manage a computer network as a contractor and run a business providing fresh roasted coffee beans (online mostly).

and I have 4 kids.

AB
5th September 2012, 02:08 PM
Welcome to the forum mate and congrats on the new beast!

Feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

threedogs
5th September 2012, 02:11 PM
Welcome aboard James,you're a busy boy, theres only 24 hrs a day you know, lucky you didn't go for the Townsville GU.
Great bunch of people here from around the world, and plenty of info at your finger tips, jump in any time and Enjoy

Petit caillou
5th September 2012, 02:15 PM
Welcome to the forum James.

Regards
Petit caillou.

asixa
5th September 2012, 02:16 PM
thanks 3dogs and AB. Luck was on my side with that Townsville GU - I was prepared to take it until the PPSR check showed an encumberance that the seller didnt know about. Auction vehicles are supposed to have clear title, so just some lazy backend work was enough to make me think "whoa James, slow down!"

MEGOMONSTER
5th September 2012, 03:28 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.

growler2058
5th September 2012, 03:50 PM
G'day mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice
Maaaate on night shift coffee is my bestus friend ;-)

Tap tap drip drip

healy
5th September 2012, 05:15 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Stropp
5th September 2012, 06:23 PM
welcome along to the forum, enjoy the ride.

scotty83
5th September 2012, 06:28 PM
Welcome onboard. Good to see another GUIV getting into low range.. IF you have any questions ask away someone here will have the answer..

asixa
5th September 2012, 07:41 PM
thanks everyone ;-)

Hey scotty - you just reminded me.. my GU also has a dual battery and Redarc. I put one into my toyota about 8 years ago, but cant remember how it switches. any tips on where to get the diagram, or if you know how it works? Both my batteries are maintenance free and the non starting batt has an indicator saying recharge. (i could write a forum post, but just spotted it in your signature)..

oh, also, it has a rear power outlet, but its not a cigarette lighter outlet. looks more like a massive earphone socket type connection, like what a electric guitar lead has. what is it called? is it a power outlet at all?

scotty83
5th September 2012, 07:48 PM
Redarc. Is this what you are after. http://redarc.com.au/handy-hints/wiring_guides/sbi12d_with_single_auxiliary/. It should switch automatically when the voltage get above 13.2V in the Main (starting battery), if wired correctly. maybe the isolator is connect backwards.

asixa
5th September 2012, 07:52 PM
Redarc. Is this what you are after. http://redarc.com.au/handy-hints/wiring_guides/sbi12d_with_single_auxiliary/. It should switch automatically when the voltage get above 13.2V in the Main (starting battery), if wired correctly. maybe the isolator is connect backwards.

thanks. of course, redarc would be at redarc.com.au <facepalm>

is there a relay in there? do you hear it click over once the alternator gets up to speed?

scotty83
5th September 2012, 07:54 PM
Redarc. yes i hear it click on and off. kind of a thud.

Power Connector: Try here do any of these look like they would fit the socket you are referring to. http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/accessory-plugs-sockets

Bigrig
5th September 2012, 07:57 PM
G'day mate and welcome aboard - great people, information and laughs to be found on here, so join in to make the most of it!!!

Enjoy!!

Maxhead
6th September 2012, 05:45 AM
G'day and welcome to the forum mate

.........on the move

asixa
6th September 2012, 10:59 AM
thanks everyone - see you on the forum pages.

Question before I sign off - whats the difference between;

General Discussions
General Discussion > General Nissan Patrol Chat
General Discussion > General chat

One of these is where most of my non specific questions will end up, but I cant quite work out the differences?

Bob
6th September 2012, 11:09 AM

General Discussions

One of these is where most of my non specific questions will end up, but I cant quite work out the differences?

General Nissan Patrol Chat is Patrol Specific
General Chat is about subjects not specific to Patrols ie "Thought for the Day"

Dhuck
6th September 2012, 01:19 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

timbar
9th September 2012, 05:36 PM
G'day - Welcome aboard join in when you are ready and have some fun ! plenty to do and see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer !! Bucket loads of usefull information here plenty to read so join in meet the great bunch of guys and girls on our wonderful forum !!

Stick Around this is an Awesome site ......... You will not be disapointed !!

ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim

Forest1970
10th September 2012, 11:17 PM
Welcome aboard mate!

my third 256
12th September 2012, 09:59 AM
hi and welcom to the forum a great mob of people here and a lot of very usefull information
best wishes with your patrolling
stephen

2TROLLFAM
22nd September 2012, 02:10 PM
I've been alittle slack in welcoming new members cuz I'm usually on my phone & it's a pain but "Better Late than Never"

WELCOME Aboard - you'll find these guys & gals to be full of Useful, Entertaining and sometimes Disturbing information LMAO .. Hope you enjoy the forum as much as we all do !!

asixa
22nd September 2012, 05:23 PM
Thanks Amelia and everyone here. I already see I have made the right choice to become a member.

NissanGQ4.2
22nd September 2012, 05:31 PM

General Discussions

There is no difference with this lot, does not matter what you post, where you post it the members here will kindly talk about everything else *LMAO*

Welcome 2 the forum James,

Great bunch of members on here always willing 2 help out where they can.

Enjoy the forum mate

Cheers

Todd

2TROLLFAM
22nd September 2012, 06:53 PM
There is no difference with this lot, does not matter what you post, where you post it the members here will kindly talk about everything else *LMAO*

Welcome 2 the forum James,

Great bunch of members on here always willing 2 help out where they can.

Enjoy the forum mate

Cheers

Todd

HAHAHAHAHA Todd is "SO" right !!

wildgu6
23rd September 2012, 05:45 PM
A bit late but Welcome aboard James, top mob here with tons of info and laughs,
Jump in and Enjoy mate

Cheers Pete

Lonicus
24th September 2012, 06:49 AM
Welcome aboard! Nelson bay is a nice part of the world, lived there for a few years a while back.

axl100
26th September 2012, 01:41 AM
G'day and welcome