PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying parts on my TD42T - pics included

snewin
4th September 2012, 06:10 PM
Hi,

I've had a look around but can't find the info I want on the engine. It's a 4.2 turbo.

First pic - would "B" be the place to hook into with a t-section for the boost gauge? I'm planning an after market intercooler later on so the position will change, but what is this line and would there be a better place to tap into? As for "A" - what is this? I suspect it's a wastegate?? Where does a boost bleed valve fit into if you want to ramp up the boost pressure? Is it here?

In the second photo what is "C". It's sitting next to the turbo, and has a line in it that feeds back into the air tube between the air filter box and the turbo. As you can tell I don't know my arse from my elbow with these things.....:icon_bonk:

As for the pyro gauge, I assume the dump pipe straight off the turbo is the best place for this.

Cheers for any help the combined knowledge of the brains trust can give me.

Rob

threedogs
4th September 2012, 06:37 PM
B looks like where a guage would go
sorry thats all I've got
Also taking its an after market turbo?

MudRunnerTD
4th September 2012, 06:39 PM
C is the factory waste gate and there is a flexible hose down there too that runs from your turbo to the actuator. That is where you cut into for you manual boost controller.

B will be fine for the boost gauge. Just cut into the rubber hose wih a T piece.

When you do your intercooler you will split off the cross over pipe and loose B so A will be where you fit your boost gauge. That actually looks like the inlet off an intercooler model? Maybe? And blanked off?

patch697
4th September 2012, 06:42 PM
I'm thinking by the pic that C is the Turbo actuator with a vacuum hose
B looks like where a blow off valve would go.
A looks like you could use for guage, as long as on the boost side.
sorry thats all I've got
Also taking its an after market turbo?

I think our thinking it a TB42 dude.... Its a TD42T

MudRunnerTD
4th September 2012, 06:43 PM
Where does that line go from B?

You will have zero gain running Blowoff valve on a TD42 and won't get a de-spool noise like a petrol.

patch697
4th September 2012, 06:44 PM
C is the factory waste gate and there is a flexible hose down there too that runs from your turbo to the actuator. That is where you cut into for you manual boost controller.

B will be fine for the boost gauge. Just cut into the rubber hose wih a T piece.

When you do your intercooler you will split off the cross over pipe and loose B so A will be where you fit your boost gauge. That actually looks like the inlet off an intercooler model? Maybe? And blanked off?

X2..... Thanks MR you just saved my fingers....lol

snewin
4th September 2012, 07:04 PM
Thanks all (ha, busted threedogs lol).

Mudrunner, do you know how you'd fit the boost gauge into that shiny silver thing (A).

That tube (B) wraps around the intake manifold and plugs in on top of something that sits on top of what I assume is the fuel pump as the accelerator cable plugs in there too.

MudRunnerTD
4th September 2012, 07:42 PM
I'd probably just drill and tap into somewhere else on the intake flange. Have you got a pic of that from another angle?

Have you got a pic of the other end of B?

I have 2 TD42s. The GQ has an after market MTQ kit on it and my GUiV is factory so neither look like yours sorry.

I reckon Ben-e-boy or Newby will sort you out though for sure.

MudRunnerTD
4th September 2012, 07:47 PM
I just changed your thread title to include TD42 so some of the guys will come have a look

snewin
4th September 2012, 08:30 PM
I just changed your thread title to include TD42 so some of the guys will come have a look

If you change it, they will come....

nissannewby
4th September 2012, 09:27 PM
Point B will go to the compensator on the pump it will be fine to T into this. You need to make sure boost pressure can always be fed to the compensator otherwise fueling will not be appropriate. Im pretty sure A is some sort of pressure relief valve possible to prevent massive over boosting. The others have answered your questions have fun you will be very satisified with the outcome of the upgrades.