PDA

View Full Version : How big is your aux battery in 4.2 efi

Bloodyaussie
3rd September 2012, 09:42 PM
My aux battery is what I would think is on the small side and sits in an ARB holder..

What I wanted to know is if someone has a larger battery in there 4.2 EFI as I have a brand new aux battery sitting here that is the size of my main battery that I would love to fit.

Also can you just run it in the back linked to your aux battery????

Flo-w
5th September 2012, 09:08 AM
My second battery has 100AH and 760cca. It's a 12". They come up quite high and I needed a very flat battery bracket so that it doesn't touch the bonnet.

I've used the Piranha cradle for diesel GQs and with some modifications managed to get it under the hood.
It would be cheaper to buy a sealed battery and but it in the boot of your car; if you have the space.

I didn't find it worth bothering to put in a ~50AH battery for what it costs.

Bloodyaussie
5th September 2012, 09:21 AM
Thanks mate... there is love out there!!!!!!

Yeah the battery I have is a sealed battery that is used in caravans and I just spent a small fortune on 4 gauge wire and heavy duty fuse box and lighter plugs and so on so I can re do all the wiring to the rear of my GQ.

The spare battery under the bonnet actually pisses me off when it comes time to work on things on that side, I have a stock GQ sitting here for parts and it is so easy to get to everything.

The joys of modified toys.

Cheers.

threedogs
5th September 2012, 10:00 AM
If you have an 100amp alternator, why not run 3 batteries, one for start only.
The other two for everything else ,fridge, music, uhf etc,

Bloodyaussie
5th September 2012, 10:33 AM
If you have an 100amp alternator, why not run 3 batteries, one for start only.
The other two for everything else ,fridge, music, uhf etc,
I was thinking that ... I have a 120amp alternator

Does this look right??
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x260/jpgpz/diagram-camper-dbi120.jpg

threedogs
5th September 2012, 11:19 AM
You could put that 3rd Battery in a plastic battery box, so you can move it around camp. eg if you want to set a light up by the river bank.
Near the shower tent etc. I just ran the cables off 2nd batt. to 3rd nothing fancy, worked fine. Dereks pic is fine as you can take 3rd batt anywhere

Flo-w
6th September 2012, 11:09 AM
There are different opinions on the topic of sealed batteries under the bonnet. Some say it's ok, other's say it's dangerous. I'm rather save than sorry.
But if I understood you right then you want to put the sealed one in the boot anyway.