PDA

View Full Version : Gay horn

jman69
2nd September 2012, 08:59 PM
Hey, is it just me, or does anyone else feel a bit woosy when they toot there factory fitted Patrol horn?? Might have to invest in a more manly one i think?

Sir Roofy
2nd September 2012, 09:01 PM
dont know havent taken much notice at all
i dont use it very often

MEGOMONSTER
2nd September 2012, 09:01 PM
I'll have to agree horn doesn't quite suit the "truck" we drive.

Winnie
2nd September 2012, 09:08 PM
You are right indeed. That's why you do what I did and put one of these in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOFk69fGAAM&feature=youtu.be

AB
2nd September 2012, 09:10 PM
LMAO....Yep, they are a whoosy horn.

I'm thinking of something like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0pf_0cFbVo

nissannewby
2nd September 2012, 09:51 PM
My sister gives me grief about it all the time lol. I use to have the dixie land one which is the same as the one the dukes of hazard have on their car but yes agree its a little on the feminine side

Clunk
2nd September 2012, 09:56 PM
Yes it certainly comes rto something when the missus Honda Jazz has a much more manly sounding horn than the patrol........ might have to swap them over lol

macca86
3rd September 2012, 12:54 AM
Could be worse the d 40 navaras I laughed when I heard my mates horn

patch697
3rd September 2012, 01:24 AM
I think that was my very first mod I ever did & not a second to soon either..........hahahahahaha

Bigrig
3rd September 2012, 07:30 AM
I think that was my very first mod I ever did & not a second to soon either..........hahahahahaha

Bet yours isn't as bad as Dhucks!!! lol. He's got old PigTrol the ex comp truck and it came with a full roll cage, scrub bars, dual lockers, reduction gears, 5" lift, 35" muddies, full diff lamination, etc, etc, and the sweetest little "toot toot" horn ever invented!!!!!

Suits him though!!! lmao

threedogs
3rd September 2012, 07:45 AM
I like to call it alternatively different just to be PC and not offend anyone.
Fit locker/ fit air horn.
problem solved

I fitted vintage klaxton horn aaoooooooooggaaahhhhhh lol

Bigrig
3rd September 2012, 08:00 AM
I like to call it alternatively different just to be PC and not offend anyone.
Fit locker/ fit air horn.
problem solved

I fitted vintage klaxton horn aaoooooooooggaaahhhhhh lol

I've got a few "alternatively different" mates as it happens!!! I'll be sure sure to inform them of their new "label"!! lmao

But as for having a car horn that sounds like some squeaker wearing a pink tutu, on top of a float shaped like a phallic symbol at the Sydney Mardi Gras, squealing "I just want respect"?? Yep, I have one of them!!!. And my aforementioned mates would agree whole heartedly with me!! lol

my third 256
3rd September 2012, 08:18 AM
put tripple air horns on mine problem solved

Bob
3rd September 2012, 08:21 AM
At 70 I dont use mine much any more LMAO

MC97GQ
3rd September 2012, 08:30 AM
At 70 I dont use mine much any more LMAO

Hey Bob, At 70 are you sure that you don't use it all the time, but just can't hear it :smileyvault-cute-bi

BearGUST
3rd September 2012, 08:41 AM
I "borrowed" a couple of horns off a car at work - they were getting crushed anyway!
I put them on and they were great, only problem is they are trumpet horns so fill with water during a river crossing...
I've actually ordered a pair of Narva disc horns, hopefully should solve the issue.

P4trol
3rd September 2012, 09:18 AM
Hornblasters

Tipsy-tap

04OFF
3rd September 2012, 10:54 AM
Hornblasters

Agree :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Jel6cOHYHDI#t=29s

http://www.hornblasters.com/video.php

threedogs
3rd September 2012, 12:04 PM
I would like to think my horn is is working order when I'm 70. lot of bad drivers over my way. Yeah right, Buy the damn pill

macca
3rd September 2012, 03:37 PM
Agree :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Jel6cOHYHDI#t=29s
http://www.hornblasters.com/video.php

Dad had a train horn years ago, hooked it up to the comressor in the shed and give it a blast.
The whole nieghbourhood came out on the street to see what the hell just happened LOL
It was a mates but I remember it hanging up in the shed for years when I was a kid, must ask what happened to it.

snewin
3rd September 2012, 04:12 PM
For those stebel nautilus hobbies would you use a relay or just the existing wiring for one of the existing ones.

Had one on my motorbike a few years back and forgot all about them. Great little units. Might be just the thing.

MudRunnerTD
3rd September 2012, 04:14 PM
Second Massive vote for the power of the Stebel!! Got one on the GQ and need to fit one to the GUIV. They are very small and easy to fit anywhere not like the big triple horns and easily as loud

Check out this great vid most of you have probably seen but i blast the horn at the end! Its a Stebel and Its at least 100m away from the camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_GzBAi_DOg&feature=g-user-u

Here is the link - Cheap as Chips!!

Stebel Air Horn (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chromed-Stebel-Nautilus-Air-Horn-12-volt-139dB-Car-Chrome-Bike-Motorcycle-Truck-/330785763254?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d045e2fb6#ht_500wt_1156)

MudRunnerTD
3rd September 2012, 04:21 PM
For those stebel nautilus hobbies would you use a relay or just the existing wiring for one of the existing ones.

Had one on my motorbike a few years back and forgot all about them. Great little units. Might be just the thing.

Relay for sure but power the relay from your factory horn supply. From memory it might even come with a relay.

I mounted mine of the top of the inlet manifold above the fuel pump behind the power steering pump

threedogs
3rd September 2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks MudrunnerTHATS WHAT I"M TALKING ABOUT I've been after a very loud horn that was compact as well, this ticks all the boxes.
Will probably mount it inside the wing of the bullbar, plenty of room. Look forward it fitting it now.

Winnie
3rd September 2012, 04:32 PM
Relay for sure but power the relay from your factory horn supply. From memory it might even come with a relay.

I mounted mine of the top of the inlet manifold above the fuel pump behind the power steering pump

Mine came with the relay. I got the 300hz one, not the dual tone one.

Tappa tappa

snewin
3rd September 2012, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the link. Just ordered one for Gertrude. Will definitely make her sound more manly.

threedogs
3rd September 2012, 05:50 PM
Make HER sound more MANLY. what the!!!!!!!

snewin
3rd September 2012, 06:09 PM
Make HER sound more MANLY. what the!!!!!!!

Gertrude is L-O-L-A Lola's big sister.

threedogs
3rd September 2012, 06:17 PM
She was a show girl and nows she's a he, did I get that part right?
I'm confused, didn't think Patrols were gender specific, then again I call mine NEV

snewin
3rd September 2012, 06:22 PM
Mine's definitely a girl. A big one. She doesn't have camel toe, she's got moose knuckle.

Winnie
3rd September 2012, 06:57 PM
Mine's an inanimate object, THE PARTY BUS HAS NO GENDER! But it certainly has character.

jman69
4th September 2012, 01:10 PM
ah, had a feeling it was'nt just me Ha Ha

snewin
4th September 2012, 04:42 PM
Just had a look and there's 2 pissy little horns on Gertrude, so I ordered another Stebel.

threedogs
4th September 2012, 04:56 PM
Ordered a Stebel 139Db horn, looking forward to trying it out on the first bugger who tries to cut me off.

Winnie
4th September 2012, 06:16 PM
Trust me and I say this from experience. The look on their face is like they just got a nice kick in the proverbials.

P4trol
4th September 2012, 07:04 PM
Mine's an inanimate object, THE PARTY BUS HAS NO GENDER! But it certainly has character.

So how do you "kick 'er in the guts"? Or tell people" she'll be right?

Tipsy-tap

Winnie
4th September 2012, 07:07 PM
You just do it, and when people question it just punch them.

Irvs
4th September 2012, 09:43 PM
my mate said my horn sounded a bit limp wristed today then I read this. Stebel now added to purchase list

Winnie
4th September 2012, 09:47 PM
They are a great bit of kit. I will post a photo tomorrow of how I mounted mine, mine is on a completely different circuit to original horn, so I have the "g'day mate" horn and the "OUT OF MY WAY" horn

Tappa tappa

Irvs
4th September 2012, 11:08 PM
I can see new threads popping up mid next week when people get there's in the mail. "Where to pick up horn switch from". Haha

MudRunnerTD
4th September 2012, 11:14 PM
I can see new threads popping up mid next week when people get there's in the mail. "Where to pick up horn switch from". Haha

Really easy. Double up off the back of the factory horn positive then to the relay for the Steb and it will work off your steering wheel

Irvs
4th September 2012, 11:34 PM
I'd probably switch mine or put it on a big red momentary button with a missile switch cover with "In case of dickhead driver" printed on it

P4trol
4th September 2012, 11:36 PM
Hmmm steel seem to make a 139dbm horn (quick browse of evilbay listings)

But I couldn't find much on the output of Hornblasters horns. (if you have seen their videos, they get two types of mail: love mail AND hate mail)

One has a distinct price difference over the other.

Tipsy-tap

Bigfoot
4th September 2012, 11:57 PM
Hey, I had a similar concern with my GQ. I attatched the two two horns from an s13 which gave my Patrol a more rounded, less weak tone. As they are like bums, i'm sure it wouldn't be hard to pick some up from a wreckers?

Nice easy bolt on option to consider

Lambroast
5th September 2012, 10:36 AM
I fitted a $40 odd Stebel from Ebay. Comes with a relay, but I didn't use it. Std wiring works fine. And its brilliant ! Already paid for itself. Some knobheads walking across the road in front of me at scarb beach against the light. Gave them a good blast... By the looks on their faces both needed new undies I'd reckon !... Priceless. !

A mate loved it so much he asked me to get him one for his patrol (97 GQ RB28T). All I can say is they're plastic and don't mount them on the engine like he did.... Melted it down and it fell into the fan. Spread nicely through then engine bay and buggered all the the belts. Fkn funny at the time !

Simon

Winnie
5th September 2012, 10:45 AM
You will probably burn out your switch mate best to put a relay in...
I'm thinking about putting another one in for double the loudness.

P4trol
5th September 2012, 10:54 AM
How much current do they draw vs the standard one?

Tipsy-tap

MudRunnerTD
5th September 2012, 10:56 AM
You will probably burn out your switch mate best to put a relay in...

X2, They put a relay in the box because their unit draws enough power to warrant one. Really simple to put into the loop. Whack it in. If you need advice ask away ;)

Timbo
5th September 2012, 11:06 AM
When I saw the thread title.. I expected a video of a Patrol with a voiced horn... "OOOohhh Puhleeeze.. Moove outta the Waaayyyyy honeeyyyy!"

MEGOMONSTER
5th September 2012, 10:17 PM
Just purchased two Stebel blasters and can't wait to fit them up and blast somebody.

MEGOMONSTER
5th September 2012, 10:18 PM
I'm gee'd up now, no more meep meep

threedogs
5th September 2012, 10:25 PM
We need them here in mexico, as some drivers of Asian appearance,and others of African appearance, appear not to be able to drive.
Not to say that people of caucasian appearance are any different, even saw one chap with phone velcroed to the back of his wrist,{hands free} LOL

MEGOMONSTER
6th September 2012, 06:10 AM
saw one chap with phone velcroed to the back of his wrist,{hands free} LOL

One word. REALLY

threedogs
6th September 2012, 10:15 AM
True story MEGO, as you know you see a bit more from a 4x4, especially in summer.
My Sebel horn has arrived already, can't beat that for service, bloody loud, I love it

P4trol
6th September 2012, 02:21 PM
We need them here in mexico, as some drivers of Asian appearance,and others of African appearance, appear not to be able...

Problem not isolated to Mexico.

Tipsy-tap

snewin
10th September 2012, 04:42 PM
A bit of feedback about my purchase of 2 x Stebel Nautilus horns off Steetfighterau off eBay.

They arrived in a day or two of ordering. One worked perfectly and one didn't work, the motor spun but there was no sound. I contacted Streetfighterau via eBay to say one of the two didn't work and he responded straight away with a testing procedure to follow, which I did, and confirmed that the horn didn't work. He posted one straight away to me without me having to post it back. I've actually received the replacement horn today and it works perfectly, and I still have the original non-working horn, which I'll post tomorrow. Now that's what I call customer service.

I am highly recommending Streetfighterau eBay store for your Stebel Nautilus horn. A 5* seller and excellent customer service and quick postage. Can't ask for more.

Rob

Winnie
10th September 2012, 04:44 PM
Doesn't get much better than that hey!
All fitted up? 2 of them would be mighty loud!

snewin
10th September 2012, 04:51 PM
Doesn't get much better than that hey!
All fitted up? 2 of them would be mighty loud!

Oh hell yeah. I still have the s**t eating grin on my face

Winnie
10th September 2012, 04:59 PM
Hahah boo yah! I've got the 300Hz jobbie and I think another one would cause earthquakes. Would love to fit a second but have no room in the engine bay!

Irvs
11th September 2012, 12:04 AM
Haha Kris, they come in pretty colours now so you can mount it outside the engine bay if you like, I'm thinking bright red

Silver
14th September 2012, 10:55 AM
Went to onlineautoparts who have a shop in Geebung. They were kind enough to plug both the truck style Stebel horn(139 kh ?) and the Nautilus into some sort of power supply.

The first thing to note is that the instructions say that the 12v model draws <18 amps - I don't know for sure that the power supply had the grunt necessary to show full potential.

However, the Nautilus produced a very loud nice sounding shriek. G'teed to wake up wayward pedestrians, and maybe even cut through Iphone wearing people's lack of attention.

The truck style job was not as loud - and as has to be expected, was not the same experience as half a meter or a meter of metal horn connected to a huge airtank. It wasn't bad, though, and compact.

The horn came with a relay in the packaging. I went mad and spent $10 on the wiring harness to suit.

Being a single mounting bolt, the increased flexibility means I'll probably be able to get the nautilus out of the engine bay and in front of the radiator where it will be more audible.

Finally, the Nautilus (and maybe the truck model, forgot to check) comes with a fitting so that the air pickup can be run to a source that is dry and clean.

threedogs
14th September 2012, 11:05 AM
Fitted mine Stebel in the bullbar, only put a larger fuse in at this stage [20 amp]
Go figure sons an auto lec and can't get relay wired up. still think I'll get another for
the other side. Very impressive horn for no air. I likey

taslucas
14th September 2012, 02:01 PM
We are such a responsible and mature bunch of people. 61 posts in this thread called gay horn and not one relating to a homosexual erection.....
Lmao, well done guys!

Winnie
14th September 2012, 02:06 PM
Trust you to bring that up. Bloody Tasmanians.............

patch697
14th September 2012, 02:07 PM
We are such a responsible and mature bunch of people. 61 posts in this thread called gay horn and not one relating to a homosexual erection.....
Lmao, well done guys!

Yep.... & you where the first..... Does this mean I have to now place you under post Moderation???............... LMFAO

Nah.... Only tagging your chain Lucas, but it does show how sensible we are at Hijacking...............hahahahahaha

taslucas
14th September 2012, 02:12 PM
Trust you to bring that up. Bloody Tasmanians.............

Each to their own Winnie, but it didn't bring anything "up" for me hahaha

Nah.... Only tagging your chain

Hehehe.....

Tap, crackle, pop

Winnie
14th September 2012, 02:19 PM
You disgust me.

threedogs
14th September 2012, 02:22 PM
really nothing came up down under?? amazing lol

Silver
14th September 2012, 06:40 PM
Threedogs, you went for one of the electro mechanical ones, not the air pump model? Will you follow tradition and get the second in a different pitch?

I can remember older cars that had a switch on the dash - town or country. I think they set the lower frequency as 'country' on the basis that it went further? I don't recall if there was an option of sounding both together with that set up.

threedogs
14th September 2012, 07:31 PM
Reading the box or ebay, one is louder, the truck I think. the other is dual
mines the black one, mounted right out the front behind the left wing of bull bar
quiet in cab but sure its loud , I've had the chance to use it twice already, works well'
as you suggest Silver I will use different tone for the other side.

Winnie
14th September 2012, 07:35 PM
Got a photo of how you mounted it? Interested.

Tip tap tippity tip tappity tap tap ding dong tipsy topsy wopsy mopsy tippy tap tap tipitty wee

MEGOMONSTER
14th September 2012, 07:38 PM
I too would like to see how you mounted it.

Tapperty tap 1000 taps for me.

threedogs
14th September 2012, 08:29 PM
Not the best but,, bullbar is the 4mm TJM Outback ,mounted just at the end of the lhs chassis. on each side there's 2 slotted holes, winch is behind chrome pic. will try for better pic tomorrow

lh pic is from the front, just noticed powder coating flaking off, better fix with powder in a can

Winnie
14th September 2012, 08:34 PM
Thanks 3dogs you're a champion! I like that idea, might relocate mine out of the engine bay, it's pretty baffled in there. Would be able to put another one in there too!

threedogs
14th September 2012, 08:37 PM
Heaps of room out the front, plenty of spare holes as options to bolt it to.
I used a different bolt and just ground the head to fit the horn body, easy enough mod IMO

Engine bay would be last place to install it, just make sure horn is pointing down to keep the junk out, you'll be fine

Irvs
15th September 2012, 12:24 AM
Installed mine today, just put it in the engine bay passenger rear corner, heaps of room there, knocked up a small bracket for it to mount on the rear wall ledge.
Works well, scared the crap out of a couple of my mates with it, haha, good stuff

Silver
15th September 2012, 01:21 AM
Reading the box or ebay, one is louder, the truck I think. the other is dual
mines the black one, mounted right out the front behind the left wing of bull bar
quiet in cab but sure its loud , I've had the chance to use it twice already, works well'
as you suggest Silver I will use different tone for the other side.

The truck one is deeper and quieter. The nautilas I bought is two tones out of the box.

MEGOMONSTER
16th September 2012, 01:39 AM
The 2 x Stebel Nautilas air horns are now fitted. And I've been blasting away, terrorizing the neighbors.
They are real easy to install, with only basic skills required.
Remove the two horns (1 left side, 1 right side)from behind the bumper and bolt in new horns. Wire up both relays, wire up the horns and your done. Next time I won't drink so much before I start. Or drink so much during. 2 hour job took me 5 hours. But I must admit even though I was going at a snails pace, pretty tanked, I did a very neat job of it.

MudRunnerTD
16th September 2012, 01:13 PM
Here is the mounting position of mine on the GQ

Perfect spot

Looking straight down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MEGOMONSTER
17th September 2012, 03:59 AM
The Missus says it sounds even more gay with the new horns.
I told a mate I got new horns last, he goes " Yeah let me hear it" so he stood in front of the car and I gave em a blast and he nearly shit himself not expecting them to be that loud.

MEGOMONSTER
20th September 2012, 05:54 PM
When I dropped off the car off this afternoon for gauges fit up, the sakes guy got one of the apprentices to have a look under the bonnet, before he drive the car into the workshop, and blasted the air horns and dare I say, he sh@t himself is an understatement.
Funniest thing I've seen for ages.

Sent from the secret chambers of our secret society, on a secret iPhone, with a secret pin code and eye retina scanning from a secret peep hole, just don't tell anyone OK, cos it's secret........

threedogs
20th September 2012, 08:19 PM
Mego ask the Missus what sort of noise does she want?? plenty loud IMO and can't wait to fit two like you have

MEGOMONSTER
21st September 2012, 07:26 PM
Mego ask the Missus what sort of noise does she want?? plenty loud IMO and can't wait to fit two like you have

She expected a deeper type tone. It is quite a high pitched horn and damn loud too. Might see if I can fit the 300hz horn somewhere to have three blasting.
After fitting my boost/EGT/battery gauges, I blasted the horn to fitter as he was walking around the front and sh@t himself, jumped a mile.

Sent from the secret chambers of our secret society, on a secret iPhone, with a secret pin code and eye retina scanning from a secret peep hole, just don't tell anyone OK, cos it's secret........