PDA

View Full Version : Digital temp controller

threedogs
1st September 2012, 06:36 PM
Has anyone wired a Digital temp controller to their Engel. Saw them on Fleabay but I found just the controller for $8.. So far I've mounted all the components into a plastic housing.
I can get the unit to light up display screen.
All I know is you turn Engel on flatout and control temps through this unit.
The housing plugs into your power and Engel plugs into housing.

threedogs
3rd September 2012, 03:50 PM
all is good figured it out figjam lol.
After a few blown fuses I got it, Now the Engel goes off at 1 degree {on test} and comes back on at 2 degrees
The other meter in pic was to check temp.
I'll trial it for a little while to see how it goes, as fishing trip coming up after footy finals.
If anyone interested I also have an automatic LED light for the Engel lid you can make, cheap and works a treat.

Woof
4th September 2012, 02:05 AM
Very interested in hows it performs mate, if after your fishing trip you have not blown up your Engel then I will do the same with mine...LOL

megatexture
4th September 2012, 02:21 AM
buy a waeco and it comes with a light lol, have you used a mercury tilt switch for the light?

threedogs
4th September 2012, 05:24 PM
You can adjust the cycle period as well as min temp. It even has memory, its a classy piece of kit.
As I said in PM I'll try it with 2lt milk bottles full of water, want the temp just off freezing.It's supposed to be more accurate
and can't see why not if it goes off at 1 and comes back on at 2. Getting some cycling info sent as thats adjustable as well
Have 4 pages of instructions to play with
Will set it all up tomorrow so will keep this thread going for results etc

Yes Mega I use a mercury switch, and no way, no how, can it leak. Jaycar sell different styles like reed switches etc

Can anyone remember What issues if any there were with the two-zone fridge extension????

megatexture
4th September 2012, 09:59 PM
yea ive used a few of the older style glass ones but the new ones ive seen seem to be prity solid plastic, looks like a good set up though you could fit a few more fridges on that draw bar mate lol

threedogs
5th September 2012, 09:04 AM
Nah thats just a utility box I got the Sheetie to make for me, looked like wasted space, mainly for cooking items.

As for the controller it's back in the Patrol with some plastic bottles of water in it. If I can get temp stable at just above freezing
my cans of beers should be spot on. This will keep the temp constant and no need to adjust for cold/hot days.
Pic is Engel lid light, works a treat. Engel is on platform behind the driver, I removed that seat.

Don't think Waeco were around when I bought my Engel, Which by the way still looks brand new
thanks mainly to the Transit cover

threedogs
5th September 2012, 11:36 AM
Bump.
Update, I had it set at one degree, didn't seem cold enough {they are just numbers], I've re-set the temp to minus 2, I'll leave it for a few hours and check.
I think this controller has a 2 degree variance, which means my temps will be very stable,
Remembering water will freeze, alcohol wont

MudRunnerTD
5th September 2012, 12:28 PM
Hey 3dogs, looks good mate. the only thing missing is a DIY on what you actually did? i understand what you are chasing and might be interested in sorting this myself but some links to the products and a DIY would be awesome mate

threedogs
5th September 2012, 01:26 PM
I'm on it, not very computer minded, but can get some instructions to AB, First time I've really shared an idea.
Easy enough to do, I'll pull it apart and post pics in the DIY section, with part numbers for plastic box,etc. The sellers name is
windeal, total cost was just under $30, time wise it will take a bit over 1 hour, tools required, cordless drill + 6mm bit,
small flat screwdriver,Flat medium file to clean up plastic box. Was hoping I could mount the controller at the back of the centre console
but not sure if there is enough depth to fit it there, would look good there, I've tucked it into the pocket om the transit bag

threedogs
5th September 2012, 09:29 PM
Bump again. will leave it over night as temp will get to zero easy enough but water wont be frozen, been sitting out checking it'
seems to cycle same as before, going to mount it in a smaller plastic box and fit a longer thermo probe, gives me more mounting options

MC97GQ
6th September 2012, 08:37 AM
Bump.
Update, I had it set at one degree, didn't seem cold enough {they are just numbers], I've re-set the temp to minus 2, I'll leave it for a few hours and check.
I think this controller has a 2 degree variance, which means my temps will be very stable,
Remembering water will freeze, alcohol wont

Hey 3dogs, beer will freeze though and you'll wind up with beer smoothies.

threedogs
6th September 2012, 09:10 AM
Thanks 97GQ, on a perfect day I'd like the cans and food just before freezing. I only have numbers to go off on the controller, but checked this morning.
definitely not cold enough so set it to minus 4 on controller. this is not minus 4 degrees but just a scale to work off. I'll put another thermometer in there as well
just to see what it actually getting down to, only teething problems at this stage. the unit itself works great, back at lunch time

Alcohol has a much lower freezing point, years ago froze esky full of beer using dry ice, not a happy camper that weekend

Anyone have any ideas on what temp I should set for it to cycle back on, 3 degrees difference??????????

taslucas
6th September 2012, 01:31 PM
Alcohol has a much lower freezing point,

Beer and wine will freeze at zero degrees or just below as it's not high alc/vol.

threedogs
6th September 2012, 02:01 PM
Thanks for that, I've put a thermometer in the shed fridge and it reads 3.8 degrees and
beer from that fridge is great. just need to get the temp spot on in the engel now.
Trial and error at this stage as not sure how accurate controller is

threedogs
7th September 2012, 11:18 AM
Update, after some emails and phone calls. It's said a temp of 6 degrees or lower is perfect for food and drinks.
I set the controll unit to 3 last night, checked it this morning,3.9 and again at 10.30 am where temp was 3.8 degrees.
The control wont allow the fridge to go any lower than 3 degrees
I have the Engel filled with water containers and some cans of beer, which I'll try later this arvo.lol
IMO think this controller is a winner, very impressed,very stable temps,
Might make a few up if anyone interested.

Will Edit this post on up dates.
Checked again at 12.30 pm and it's reading 3.5, very constant I must say, when it's beerO'clock that will be the test.
Next up date in 2 hrs Well 2.5 hrs temp was 4, this is very constant thats for sure, one more up date And I'm done with this Project

threedogs
8th September 2012, 04:58 PM
Up date again. re fitted it all into a smaller plastic box, as it will fit better where I'm putting it.
Tried some cans, perfect temp to drink, 3 degrees
temperature very constant, only varies 1 degree
Very happy camper, will make them up if anyone with older style fridges wants one.

snewin
8th September 2012, 06:25 PM
I have one called an STC-1000 which controls my beer fridge. 0.3*c variance. Looks identical to yours. They are a great little unit. I sealed my temp probe in a little container filled with water. I found it much more accurate, reading liquid temp instead of air temp.

threedogs
8th September 2012, 06:31 PM
Thanks for that, I'll have to find a little plastic vile or old pill bottle,
Yes that are very constant, I couldn't believe it, for under $30 Its a bargain.

snewin
8th September 2012, 07:00 PM
I have 3 of them. One for the beer fridge, one for the brewery to control heating instead of cooling, and one on the fermenter. Bloody love them.

threedogs
8th September 2012, 07:09 PM
Yeah saw them for controlling temps on fermenters,They do that and very well too, very impressed.
Mates got a small vile I can use so I'l fit and silastic it up tomorrow, excited now, thanks again for that water instead of air probe tip'
would never have thought of that

threedogs
18th January 2013, 10:26 PM
Hi Roofy the black box on the first page will be the one I'll be using, this will plug into your fridge power supply.

Just a bit of an up date, up the Murray last meet up with 40 degree temps fridge only varied 1 degree. everytime I look its only one degree difference.
so I'll mark it as passed the test. Making one for Roofy so had to drag this up to show pics,

Also going to change the way power is delivered to fridge. ATM I have merit and cig sockets at the back of centre console. forever bumping them or throwing stuff on them and the come loose. Going to 4x4 shop tomorrow to pinch some wire and re do the lot so it can never dis-connect.

threedogs
20th January 2013, 05:48 PM
Bumped, you plug your fridge into black box,via that flip up cover which will be cig, then there will be 18" of lead with cig end to plug into your 12v power source

janderson
20th January 2013, 07:09 PM
G’day mate. So how is this setup better than the control on the Engel itself.

threedogs
20th January 2013, 07:27 PM
Hi mate not sure but every time I look at read out there is only 1 degree in it , even the weekend up your way.
Happy camper.

Sir Roofy
20th January 2013, 08:05 PM
Bumped, you plug your fridge into black box,via that flip up cover which will be cig, then there will be 18" of lead with cig end to plug into your 12v power source

thats how it will be

this how it sits now,so the box should fit in that pocket

threedogs
20th January 2013, 10:49 PM
Spot on now, same tram different track. that plug being cig will plug into black box.
and blackboox will plug in that outlet , I'll get my son to print a copy of the instructions as well, not much in it, easy as

threedogs
8th October 2014, 06:46 PM
I'll put some pics here tomorrow.
didn't know how back then, but MR set me right

Beni C
8th October 2014, 06:50 PM
Thanks TD, dead keen to crank this mod out!!

threedogs
8th October 2014, 06:54 PM
Thanks TD, dead keen to crank this mod out!!

Very easy I'll put pics of box used and measurements etc
Box I got from Jaycar, plus the glands for the wires very little outlay $$$

sooty_10
8th October 2014, 07:09 PM
Since this thread popped up might as well add the pics of my setup here....

threedogs
8th October 2014, 07:16 PM
@ sooty do turn the fridge to flat out then set the controller to your desired temp >

sooty_10
8th October 2014, 07:49 PM
@ sooty do turn the fridge to flat out then set the controller to your desired temp >

Yeah that's how I have it mate.... fridge on max.

macca
8th October 2014, 07:53 PM
We have one for our on board HWS for the shower. Fantastic bit of gear, many parameters you can set to your requirements. All that in a compact 12vdc unit.

threedogs
9th October 2014, 10:24 AM
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=112617
Heres a link I've forgotten how to set the parameters so feel free to post them up.

The project box I chose is from Jaycar and is ABS plastic, it measures 155mm x 95mm x 55mm
it fits in the pocket of the Engel transit bag.

threedogs
9th October 2014, 10:46 AM
@ sooty what parameters have you set yours on eg h5 ls d and so on
Ive set "D" to 3 degrees difference in temps from on to off.

Cuppa
9th October 2014, 10:48 AM
That fridge controller seems like a useful bit of gear.
An electronically savvy mate was going to make me one for our bus fridge which also incorporated compressor speed variability to reduce power usage, but with the bus sold I no longer need it.

My ARB fridges in the Patrol have built in temp control/readout, but I think whilst they give a useful indication I wouldn’t trust the actual temp they are showing, & suggest you might consider yours the same. Try putting a min/max thermometer in a bowl of water placed centrally (incl. height) in the fridge & see if what the LED tells you matches the interior temp. It probably won’t, because the temp inside will vary according to position. For this reason I usually set ours to 1 deg.C & find this keeps things below the recommended 4 deg.C. (Bearing in mind that this is used as a fridge only). The freezer I set to it’s coldest during the day (minus 18) & reduce this to minus 12 overnight once there is no more solar input.

threedogs
9th October 2014, 11:00 AM
I set it originally using a waeco thermostat as per a pic here earlier, it was pretty accurate compared to the controller.
just waiting on Sooty to tell me what he set the difference parameters to, there are 5 or 6 internal settings,
I placed the thermo probe in a small plastic super glue bottle[empty of glue and full of water] as this keeps the temps better not so much variation when
opening and closing the fridge, worked a treat last time but now I have Anderson plugs , not hard to change.

sooty_10
9th October 2014, 11:06 AM
I have mine set to a temp difference of 1 degree. I have the actual fridge set on zero and it fluctuates between -1 to 1, beer is nice and cold without ice. Meat stays frozen for longer than a weekend too. I have 2 temp probes (1 for wireless temp monitor) cable tied half way down the internal cage at the back of the fridge. I might see about this small water container idea. Obviously no good if you hit freezing temps though?

Beni C
9th October 2014, 11:38 AM
Thanks TD, I dont think wiring diagram is right though, wouldnt it be this one?

sooty_10
9th October 2014, 11:53 AM
Here is the wiring diagram that came with my unit....

Also the list of settings parameters.....

threedogs
9th October 2014, 12:22 PM
Thanks TD, I dont think wiring diagram is right though, wouldnt it be this one?

Im not running a relay or a fan

sooty_10
9th October 2014, 12:49 PM
Im not running a relay or a fan

My wiring diagram is similar to Ben C's. I think the fan is just the load that is activated by the controller so replace fan with fridge?

But yeah same same, your diagram just has the label relay contacts with no shown connections, but simply it is the output of the controller.

sooty_10
9th October 2014, 02:29 PM
I sent this to TD but figured it might help someone else if needed......

Going off TD's link and my posted settings parameters above, my guess is that L5 is the same as my LA and H5 is HA. They are simply upper and lower limits that you can set the temp at. Eg if LA is -50 you can set the desired temp down to -50. Basically what you put L5 and H5 at determine the range of user temp selection once settings are finalised. I have mine at 10 (HA/H5) to -10 (LA/L5) as I can't see any reason to go higher or lower with the fridge.

The P7 value will most likely be the delay start option or PU on my controller. This means the internal relay won't close again within the set time even if the set temp parameters are breached until the allocated time has passed. I have mine set to 0. So as soon as the fridge gets 1* above my set temp the relay kicks in and activates the fridge (I have my CP value or temp difference D set to 1).

To get to the settings simply hold the 'set' button for 3 seconds....

So to summarise going off the link TD put up my settings would be:
(HC) HC = C (cooling, means relay will activate once temp is exceeded. On H relay will activate when temp drops below set temp)
(CP) D = 1 (temp variation difference, so if temp is set at -2* relay won't engage until -1* and will switch off at -3*)
(LA) L5 = -10 (lowest user selectable temp, can be what ever range you need)
(HA) H5 = 10 (highest user selectable temp, can be what ever range you need)
(CA) CA = 0 (if you have a more accurate temp probe you can change this value to calibrate the meter to read the same by adding or subtraction 1 degree at a time etc)
(PU) P7 = 0 (delay start, stops your device cycling on and off rapidly if required)

And further to that once those settings are in place all I do is tap the 'set' button and select the temp I want (ranging from -10 to 10 as per the L5 and H5 values I have set)

Hope that helps mate...

Beni C
9th October 2014, 03:37 PM
My wiring diagram is similar to Ben C's. I think the fan is just the load that is activated by the controller so replace fan with fridge?

But yeah same same, your diagram just has the label relay contacts with no shown connections, but simply it is the output of the controller.

Yeah that’s what I figured, the fan is representative of the load, ie fridge.

So is yours switching the fridge on and off completley then TD? And not just activating the compressor?

sooty_10
9th October 2014, 03:46 PM
Yeah that’s what I figured, the fan is representative of the load, ie fridge.

So is yours switching the fridge on and off completley then TD? And not just activating the compressor?

Not that I've watched the actual fridge display but I would imagine that mine switches the fridge on and off completely, as it simply controls power going to the fridge via the standard cable. It doesn't just control the compressor......

Beni C
9th October 2014, 04:18 PM
Interesting, maybe TD has his wired through the relay on the unit itself?

threedogs
9th October 2014, 04:27 PM
Mine looks like its wired as per that first drawing , and in my defence I was on heavy meds at the time lol.
Mine works fine now Sooty has sorted me out, will give it a test tomorrow

sooty_10
9th October 2014, 05:12 PM
Interesting, maybe TD has his wired through the relay on the unit itself?

Not 100% what you mean here, but mine is wired as per the wiring diagram I posted, which uses the temp controllers built in relay switch at terminals 1 & 2. I have no other relay between the controller and fridge. I do have a fridge switch up front which controls a relay activating and powering the temp controller though.

sooty_10
9th October 2014, 05:15 PM
Mine looks like its wired as per that first drawing , and in my defence I was on heavy meds at the time lol.
Mine works fine now Sooty has sorted me out, will give it a test tomorrow

I would say you would have the fridge connected through either terminal 1 or 2 as I do....your diagram only really shows the connections for the temp probe and to power the unit itself, 1&2 are the actual switch terminals for power to your device.

Glad you got it sorted and I was of some assistance.

sooty_10
9th October 2014, 05:23 PM
Further to that the internal relay is rated at 10A so is more than adequate to run an Engel without an external relay. The second pic that Beni C put up with the relay and fan example are really only if your using the temp controller to run something that draws more than the 10A.

Beni C
9th October 2014, 07:10 PM
Cool cool, thanks gents, will get one on order.

threedogs
10th October 2014, 09:21 AM
Thanks sooty it really is easy once you know what the values mean, now to change the plug ends and fit it,
I will be putting my thermo probe in a small plastic super glue bottle[empty]

threedogs
10th October 2014, 03:35 PM
Changed all the plug ends to 50amp Anderson and plugged it in.
I will also run a Waeco digital thermometer as well to monitor temps, when I find it lol
I turned the Engel on full and set the temp to 4 degrees there are some
cans in there left over from the weekend so we'll see

Just checked the temp and its showing 5 degrees so I put it down to 3 from 4
will sort it out properly tomorrow

threedogs
11th October 2014, 02:03 PM
@ Sooty I put an extra external temperature probe to check against the controller.
Spot on with the temps holds 3 degrees easy.

Fozzee63
11th October 2014, 07:16 PM
Have made 3 of these lil rippers also and they work a treat. 2 years and still working great. 1 for myself and a few mates and they couldn't be happier.
No more constantly checking the temp 2degrees.

sooty_10
12th October 2014, 07:41 PM
Just got back from a camping trip to Lake Eildon, controller set on 1 degree, beer was perfectly cold and lettuce did freeze. Very happy camper.

Beni C
23rd October 2014, 02:17 PM
Arrived in the mail yesterday so hooked him up to my battery box last night and have it running the Engel behind the bar atm. Works a treat! Will change the cycle on to 4 deg instead of 5 deg I think.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg289/Beni_C/20141023_055903.jpg

threedogs
23rd October 2014, 05:06 PM
one of the better mods going around and not too pricey either

threedogs
13th December 2014, 04:19 PM
Must give this a bump and two thumbs up, last fishing trip my drinks were icey cold. and kept everything cold all weekend.
The lowest my battery went was 12.5 volts in hot humid conditions over 2.5 days, well worth it once you know whats what
Highly recommend
FYI I had it set on 5 and it did not vary one bit