1st September 2012, 07:15 AM
g'day bare with me im a girl :Yahoo!:
im looking into buying a mq swb body all done
has no motor or gearbox
so can i put in a auto diesel engine ?
cheers barb

Bigrig
1st September 2012, 09:44 AM
I can't see why not mate - an SD33 with an auto box would be a slug, but would last forever.

Others should be able to provide more info, however I would be thinking it more than possible.

the ferret
1st September 2012, 02:38 PM
I don't think the MQ came out with an Auto, you would be better getting a GQ.
MQ only came out with a screaming 4 speed box, a 5 speed manual can be fitted tho.
If you are looking for a motor, try and find a good SD33T and 5 speed, dunno about fitting an auto box to it tho.
Cheers, the ferret

MQ MAD
2nd September 2012, 10:14 AM
The only auto in the MQ/MK range were the L28 (2.8 ) petrols
These run the same auto as the nissan Z cars but go thru a remote tranfser case , and only on the LWB (wagons)
Its hard enuf finding an auto to fit an SD33 T , mainly in the international scouts and O/S versions,very hard to get
Not sure if you then need the remote transfer or the auto and transfer are 1 unit, cant confirm as never seen one

The other issue is, the engine mounts on the chassis need to be unpicked and moved and rewelded as the petrol and diesel are in different locations
Youll need ,all the extra bits for the conversion,like any 12 v gear,glow plug timers, starter relays,radiator
Cheapest is buy a diesel donor that has all you need, but the price of the older diesel gear is getting ,most half decent cars are getting parted out

Go buy a decent with minimal work complete and running turbo diesel shorty and save the headache

babsbaby
5th September 2012, 06:44 AM
so by some of my replies its to hard to put in a auto diesel ? and thanks for the msg's of help
my bro is a diesel mech so i figured it would be a piece of p..... for him
cheers barb

MQ MAD
7th September 2012, 09:21 AM
IF you can find the auto and transfer from an SD33T, i spose it wouldnt be hard
But sourcing the bits mite cost more than the cars worth
Then add on the costs for tailshafts as its not a factory in patrol fitment
A good running turbo diesel engine alone isnt cheap and are getting thin on the ground
Youll pay over a grand just there, the turbo manifolds and turbo are getting $500 alone
The full wiring, relays,ect, starter, alternator theres a good few hundred if not more
The other issue is most with these old diesels,have spares that dont sell to often due to the rarity of some of the stuff
Not worth much but hard to source

Why do you need an auto ???

threedogs
7th September 2012, 10:31 AM
Have you looked at the Izuzu diesel/ auto set up out of a jackaroo????