PDA

View Full Version : Fumes in cab

mudnut
31st August 2012, 10:51 AM
G,day all, I'm having problems with exhaust fumes entering the cab after heavy acceleration, especially with a window open.
The exhaust bloke fitted all new studs at the exhaust manifold and modified the engine pipe flange to fit a solid gasket. I can't see or hear any leakage from the exhaust. I've checked the rear door seals, added an extra seal of foam tape and checked the air vents on the rear pillars.

MC97GQ
31st August 2012, 11:08 AM
mudnut,

It might pay to check all the grommets in the engine bay and any that might be underbody. Check around where any wiring looms, A/C and heater pipes enter the cabin area. Also check the plates on top of the transmission tunnel where your gear levers are.

Also check along the rest of the exhaust pipe to the rear of the car for leaks.

Mark

97_gq_lwb
31st August 2012, 11:10 AM
New exhausts stink for a while as well especially if they have painted them on the joins etc.
Might pay to check the bungs in the floor as well.

NissanGQ4.2
31st August 2012, 11:51 AM
Hi mate, your better of posting up your second question in a new thread otherwise it might get missed.

Cheers

Todd

threedogs
31st August 2012, 01:05 PM
Make sure you drive with the windows down or you'll get one hell of a headache
Agree with 97lwb there is a coating that will need to be burnt off, maybe go for a 1hr drive
find some puddles. these fumes are deadly, be carefull eh.

The BigFella
31st August 2012, 04:02 PM
check to see the seals around the rear barn doors havent gone shiny and hard?
If they have they wont seal properly.

patch697
31st August 2012, 04:55 PM
Are you sure its exhaust fumes your smelling & not gunk buildup burning of your engine???

Its not always easy to distinguish the difference...

The other thing to check for is hairline cracks in the exhaust manifold, a common problem with Patrols & not always that easy to spot.

GQ TANK
31st August 2012, 06:53 PM
Is the exhaust running out the back of the truck - ie standard?

Ben-e-boy
31st August 2012, 07:32 PM
Hey mate the fact that you smell it after heavy acceleration tells me that the hose from your crank case vent (located on the rocker cover above the 6th cylinder to you air box) may be disconnected.
I'm guessing this as I have recently put an intercooler and didnt have anywhere the connect the CCV so I left it of whilst test driving and waiting for a catch can to arrive. I could smell it after being on the throttle

mudnut
31st August 2012, 07:58 PM
Are you sure its exhaust fumes your smelling & not gunk buildup burning of your engine???

Its not always easy to distinguish the difference...

The other thing to check for is hairline cracks in the exhaust manifold, a common problem with Patrols & not always that easy to spot.

The engine is pretty clean, so I suppose I'll have to take that cover off and check for cracks. If it is I'm thinking of putting extractors and a hi-flow on to boost power anyway.

mudnut
31st August 2012, 08:01 PM
Is the exhaust running out the back of the truck - ie standard?

Yep, it looks standard, would it help to have it pointing a bit down and away from the body?

mudnut
31st August 2012, 08:05 PM
Hey mate the fact that you smell it after heavy acceleration tells me that the hose from your crank case vent (located on the rocker cover above the 6th cylinder to you air box) may be disconnected.
I'm guessing this as I have recently put an intercooler and didnt have anywhere the connect the CCV so I left it of whilst test driving and waiting for a catch can to arrive. I could smell it after being on the throttle

all hoses are connected, but thanks anyway. I am hoping for a quick fix like that.

patch697
31st August 2012, 08:48 PM
The engine is pretty clean, so I suppose I'll have to take that cover off and check for cracks. If it is I'm thinking of putting extractors and a hi-flow on to boost power anyway.

Yep & I'd advise in favor of that mod cos its what most of us do to get rid of Nissan's sh1tty crack happy exhaust manifold & the choking little exhaust that goes with it......lol

On a serious note mate, a very good upgrade for a few reasons thus being the above mentioned & the improvements in both power & economy.

mudnut
1st September 2012, 10:17 AM
Yep & I'd advise in favor of that mod cos its what most of us do to get rid of Nissan's sh1tty crack happy exhaust manifold & the choking little exhaust that goes with it......lol

On a serious note mate, a very good upgrade for a few reasons thus being the above mentioned & the improvements in both power & economy.

Once the extractors are fitted, does the engine need to be retuned?

patch697
1st September 2012, 12:51 PM
Once the extractors are fitted, does the engine need to be retuned?

Generally yes but its normally not much more than a tweak here & there in the fuel mapping nothing major. You'll need to drive it around for a few weeks first to carbon up the muffler anyway before you get it re tuned so its not something you have to get done right after having your exhaust system replaced.

Silver
1st September 2012, 02:26 PM
definitely exhaust, and not hot gear oil you can smell? If the latter, can be the rubber boot etc around the gear stick - the one on the box, not the one in the cab.

The smells are pretty distinctive, so apologies if you already thought of this and checked it out :-)

mudnut
1st September 2012, 06:30 PM
Yep, it's definitely exhaust. Had an accomplice hold a bunched up rag over the tailpipe. Not much pressure developed, and wisps of smoke magically appeared from under the heat shield. More money down the drain... I'll try and get the exhaust fitter to give me a discount on the extractors. Can only hope...

966motors
3rd September 2012, 09:49 PM
properly some new weatherstripping

mudnut
7th September 2012, 01:19 PM
check to see the seals around the rear barn doors havent gone shiny and hard?
If they have they wont seal properly.

Welcome back to the saga. Just paid the Exhaust Fitter to check every inch of the system, underbody and gearbox seal. He confirmed that there were no leaks or cracks in the manifold or pipes. He did seal up the pillar vent above exhaust and added a few inches to the exhaust outlet and pointed it downward. Guess what... still fumes. The barn door rubberrs are soft, but they must be the problem. Does any one know where to get affordable door seals that work?

Bigrig
7th September 2012, 01:24 PM
Welcome back to the saga. Just paid the Exhaust Fitter to check every inch of the system, underbody and gearbox seal. He confirmed that there were no leaks or cracks in the manifold or pipes. He did seal up the pillar vent above exhaust and added a few inches to the exhaust outlet and pointed it downward. Guess what... still fumes. The barn door rubberrs are soft, but they must be the problem. Does any one know where to get affordable door seals that work?

That sucks mate ...

Not sure if they do barn door rubbers, but try Oz Auto Molds ...

mudnut
7th September 2012, 01:25 PM
Yep, it's definitely exhaust. Had an accomplice hold a bunched up rag over the tailpipe. Not much pressure developed, and wisps of smoke magically appeared from under the heat shield. More money down the drain... I'll try and get the exhaust fitter to give me a discount on the extractors. Can only hope...

Dunno what went on here? The fitter reckoned it's oK ? might have been from the rear ?

patroltb42
13th September 2012, 03:24 PM
Also check for rust holes on the inside of your rear quarters. i have the same issue with my daily once the winows are wound up and the vent set open not recycle the fumes go away due to cab pressure, quick fix is duct tape lol. or quarter chop.