PDA

View Full Version : GQ Speaker Color Codes

knightpatrol66
30th August 2012, 08:41 PM
Hey All

Did do a search and there's a-plenty for the Gu, but does anyone know the color codes for the Speakers on A 1991 GQ/Mav????? Got some speakers but want to keep the wiring "in phase" by doing it properly.

Cheers in Advance for any help;)

MudRunnerTD
30th August 2012, 10:09 PM
Download the manual from the forum mate and you will get a full wiring diagram for the mighty GQ.

knightpatrol66
31st August 2012, 12:45 AM
Hey Mud
Yeah did the Manual lookover and there is a wiring harness Diagram . What I was after was: Does anyone know which is Positive and Negative? For example on the barn doors D/S there is a pink and there is an Orange with Line, but the manual doesn't state which is pos or neg. Where the other side codes are: p/l and p/r. The last owner kinda butchered the plugs up so i'm guessing, and as the colors are different each side I can't work out which would be pos or neg for either side.

Then the front gets trickier...P/S = l/r and l/b then the D/S= or and br/y so there's no way to identify which is which...that is without pulling out the stereo and looking from there, which I was hoping to avoid...oh well...I'll tell the missus this is a good time to go 80 channel and check it while i'm there. Will post up the results of which-is-which when I get it done.

Cheers again

Yes I am too lazy to run new wiring from the stereo to the back and front doors :)

NissanGQ4.2
31st August 2012, 06:39 AM
If the previous owner has already butchered some of the wiring I would start again. Might work out quicker and easier then trying to work out what someone else has done

NissanGQ4.2
31st August 2012, 06:45 AM
Isn't the wire with the trace ( line ) the negative?

PM Rodney ( Yendor ) he might be able to help you with this

knightpatrol66
1st September 2012, 08:33 PM
Well ran out of time today, but as you can see ..have bit the bullet and gone the whole centre console out to do it all from scratch properly. Clock is out too to do the "freshen-up" of the solder joints. I will be able to correctly identify the factory wiring, as in pos and neg's but will have to wait till tomorrow for me to put those details up. Plus as you can see the previous owner had used connector blocks to join factory wiring to the aftermarket. Have got the solder iron ready and the shrink roll ready to go. Anyway all, will have the info regarding the wiring up for you all tomorrow.

Cheers Aj

P.S. Yendor's advice seems to best way to go...Cheers Yendor.....
Re: Help with Speaker codes

Unfortunately your best bet is to remove the radio and have a look, there's no guarantee whoever installed the radio connected the positive and negative correctly anyway.

As far as the wire goes, it doesn't matter which one is used as the positive and which one is used as the negative.

All that matters is that the wire that's connected to the positive of the head unit is also connected to the positive of the speaker and the same for the negative wire.

NissanGQ4.2
2nd September 2012, 06:43 AM
Oh joy what a mess, have fun mate

Yendor
2nd September 2012, 09:25 AM
I finally found what you were looking for.

Although, looking at your picture I bet your glad you did remove the radio.

Todd you may want to put this somewhere it can be easily found.

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Nissan-Wiring.pdf

knightpatrol66
3rd September 2012, 01:10 AM
Wow Spot on Yendor.....I'm sure that will come in handy for many wanting to use the factory harness.. Yeah glad I did remove the radio now....Half-Ass job using connector blocks etc..Pos and neg were done by Ray Charles with Stevie Wonder calling out the codes...lol

Cheers Yendor for the advice...went with the system you recommended and all is good.. All wires neatly soldered and wrapped with shrink tube..even split loom cover for good measure. Four new speakers in and sound project is done....

Once again what a great place this forum is...Many Thanks to ALL who jumped in....Yendor your a legend, Cheers Mate

Flo-w
3rd September 2012, 12:58 PM
At least it looks like your cables are long enough.
Whoever put that LPG system into my truck made the cables so short that they came off before I could even take a glimpse behind the central consol cover (I was careful). Unnecessary to say the car doesn't start any more if the fuel-selector switch isn't connected. The LED bar showing LPG levels was just glued in and of course came of as well.

knightpatrol66
12th September 2012, 01:14 AM
I hear ya Flo....Over the years we've all bought cars with dodgy crap done to 'em I guess....Ah but that gives us the excuse to go hang in the Man-cave and tinker. Besides once you've done it yourself, you can trust it :)