PDA

View Full Version : Doubling a cable

Flo-w
30th August 2012, 08:58 AM
G'day.

I recently had the situation where I ran out of the correct cable (min 50 amp) but I had enough 30 amp cable to double it up (2x 30 amp). Is that a really bad idea or not a problem?

Cheers

Bloodyaussie
30th August 2012, 10:51 AM
?? not sure but that is still a 30 amp cable caring a 50 amp load x2 is it not!!!!

Wait for Yendor or the like to answer???

Ben-e-boy
30th August 2012, 11:17 AM
I have paralleled cables a number of times, as long as the current carrying capacity from the 2 cables is greater than or equal to your current requirements of the single cable

Flo-w
30th August 2012, 11:25 AM
That's what I meant. 2 cables with 30amp capacity each, running in parallel and being attached to the same connectors. So that makes a 60 amp connection then?

macca
30th August 2012, 11:32 AM
From an electrical point of view it is done often with large installations. With more than 2 as well.
All cables must be the same size, type and length etc and the connections must be good.
Under the same terminal if possible and properly crimped lugs is best.
I have seen it posted about crushing lugs in a vice and hammering flat, well you can do that in an emergency.
I can assure you an electrician of the 240volt or 12 volt types would shudder to see that done.
Cut a lug open and see what a proper sized crimper does, all the cores are compressed equally and captured inside the tunnel, no chance of any coming loose with vibration as in a vehicle.
So it is safe to use more than one cable to get your current carrying capacity for your install.

Ben-e-boy
30th August 2012, 12:17 PM
I have seen it posted about crushing lugs in a vice and hammering flat, well you can do that in an emergency.
I can assure you an electrician of the 240volt or 12 volt types would shudder to see that done.

too right there macca

Flo-w if you have a sparkie mate get him to crimp it, if not get one out of the phone book. if they are decent and you have everything ready they'll help you out for a tiny fee

Irvs
30th August 2012, 12:31 PM
Just for the record 2 x 30amp cables do not equal 60 amps. It depends on the cable but as a rule (in low voltage electrical) you would generally derate the cables by 0.8, that is to say you multiply the current carrying capacity by the amount of conductors to be run in parallel and then multiply by 0.8, you will find that in your scenario your only capable of pulling 48amps with those particular cables. I would get a new cable or run three in parallel if it was 240/400v wiring, because your using automotive wiring (I hope)there may be different derating factors. Also consider voltage drop when you're only just going to be within the current capacity of your given cables as when you drop voltage your current increases to make up the required wattage. Hope this helps.

Irvs

Flo-w
30th August 2012, 12:37 PM
I've two crimping tools myself. One for smaller connections and a hydraulic hand crimper with max 8 ton pressure. Connections are rock solid I reckon.

Yendor
30th August 2012, 01:01 PM
I have no concerns with doubling up cable, in theory each cable should be carrying 25 amps (this may not be the case in the real world).

Depending on the length of the cable you may find voltage drop to be an issue, as Irvs pointed out.

If it's just in the engine bay it should be fine, if it's down the rear of the vehicle and it's a minimum of 50 amp then I would replace it.

Irvs
30th August 2012, 06:07 PM
I should mention that the reason we derate cables is because of the heat they generate when under load so as you can imagine when you run conductors in parallel they retain more heat thus the derating factor comes into play. What is the load and how long is the cable run and does it run across/near any hot surfaces?

Flo-w
30th August 2012, 06:45 PM
It's about 1m long. It's the negative from amplifier to ground. There's no heat source in the area. I'm using automotive wiring.
Actually, the amplifier has a 40amp fuse, not 50amp.

Irvs
30th August 2012, 07:20 PM
Oh it's just an amp, it wont have a continuous load anywhere near 40A, all sounds plumb to me.

macca
30th August 2012, 07:36 PM
It's about 1m long. It's the negative from amplifier to ground. There's no heat source in the area. I'm using automotive wiring.
Actually, the amplifier has a 40amp fuse, not 50amp.

Mate sounds like you have it sorted, please dont camp any where near me with that thing LOL hahahahahaha

Thinking about it it will blow up your car give your bank details to a scammer and arrange a lead float in a parade you dont want to lead......

Flo-w
31st August 2012, 10:43 AM
Lol, I don't listen much to music at camp. Only for those long highways and the never ending dirt roads so that I don't have to hear the rattling and squeaking any more...
Thanks for everyone's help!

Smoothrun
19th September 2014, 05:57 AM
:sterb003: :band: :gossip: :SNruQWn369624407: :blowup: