PDA

View Full Version : Tweter placement

paulyg
29th August 2012, 07:41 PM
HI guys, fiting a new sound system in the GU, I have splits for the front but I don't now where to put the tweeters, anyone got sugestions or ideas anything?

threedogs
29th August 2012, 08:36 PM
Yeah matter of fact I do, my mates GU had them fitted on the top of the door trims ,close to the hinge end.
also had UHF EXT speaker fitted there as well. Looked great not in the way at all

MEGOMONSTER
29th August 2012, 08:38 PM
I once fitted them on the dash side heater vents on my first car, although my heater and a/c didn't work. Not that this helps you in any way.

nissannewby
29th August 2012, 11:25 PM
You dont have an overhead console by any chance?

paulyg
30th August 2012, 05:59 PM
No don't have an over head console, that could have been a good spot, three dogs do you mean on the flat plastic part.

04OFF
30th August 2012, 09:07 PM
Most people just guess and jam tweeters where they fit easy.

But.......if you are really interested in your sound quality, the best way is, to install the rest of the system to a accoustic correct standard, in other words, have all the speakers mounted and sealed so they sound as they will in the final install.

Connect the Tweeters on 1.5M long leads, and use some "blue tack" on the back of the Tweeters, this allows you to move them around the front of the cabin, and stick them at all different angles/heights/positions WHILE sound is played though the whole system, this method takes into consideration almost every aspect of Tweeter placement you would be concerned about, and allows for perfect tuning for the best sound.

A little movement can make a big difference, and some satellite tweeters sound better closer to the main speaker (even if you sacrifice hight), often pointing the passenger tweeter directly at the drivers head, and drivers tweeter at the passengers head gives good results in most cases (but not always)

I used to build/compete in Audio comps,( and have a few trophies for my efforts) and this method was used for every system.

paulyg
30th August 2012, 10:13 PM
I can understand what you are saying 04OFF, my tweeters are alpine type R they did not come with any cups or pods and can only be flush mounted which seems to limit where I can fit them.

04OFF
30th August 2012, 10:56 PM
Sure, but really, the Limits are only your imagination mate, i always did what i wanted or needed for my systems, never what was easy, for instance......

I found in the system install in my Pulsar, the tweeters sounded best on top of the dash right near the screen (reflecting off the glass), i did not want tweeters stuck on my dash (was a brand new car at the time) the rest of the install was Stealth, so everything had to be hidden.

Not wanting to sacrifice sound quality, i gutted my Alpine tweeters to the bare minimum (just the bare driver), then i mounted them behind where the two top dash mounting bolt covers are (up near the dimister vents below the screen), i drilled 10mm hole in the bolt covers, and trimmed them with speaker cloth both for cosmetics and sun protection, placing these back on top hiding the tweeters.

I ended up with flush mount tweeters, in the best accoustic spot and it was very difficult to spot their location when i had finished.

You can also do things like place tweeters behind the A pillar panels, then drill a small hole/s in the front and cover the whole panel in a thin matching cloth (preferably speaker cloth) ,or get (or make) some grilles for the outside, either way ,you really need to work out where they sound best "first", think about it, the whole point in having speakers is the sound, so sound should come first with regard for location if you have a choice. :D

Dont get me wrong, i don't mind if you say you just cant be buggered going to the trouble, if i am totally honest, i can't be bothered now myself, i had a Sub for my GU for about 12months before i could be bothered to fit it, just as long as you are aware of this method for getting good sound quality, you don't have to use it if all your after is some basic tunes.

oncedisturbed
30th August 2012, 11:18 PM
As 04Off states, worlds your oyster and only restricted on your imaginatin etc. You can buy aftermarket pods for tweeters as well, flat or angle mount so this will increase your options on where to install. Again go for a sound test IF possible but if not, can usually go for door or pillar mount for your best "average" sound if area is limited.

happygu
31st August 2012, 12:33 AM
Try again

Ti Patrol Tweeters in Pillar

Other Option

paulyg
31st August 2012, 06:49 PM
Did a search for pods could not find any that fit, I have spent a fair amount of coin on this system so i do want it to sound as good as it can.

04OFF
1st September 2012, 09:21 AM
Well if thats really the case, you know what to do, it may not be fast nor easy, but once its done, you can enjoy sweet tunes for years to come !

ANY decent car audio installer will agree, the single most important factor in car audio is the "installation" , sure the end result is often limited by the worst component in the system, but dont make the "install", the worst component or you've doomed everything !

Way to often i have seen top quality gear just chucked in, and it just sounds like poo.

I proved this one year when i took my hatch to a audio comp at the QLD Hot Rod Show, i won "best budget system",with only spending a $1000 on audio equipment, but also beat everyone in my judged class (who had spent lots more $$) on overall points, so i won that as well, and also got judges choice they were so impressed, so 3 trophies in one comp with el-cheapo gear.

The winning factor was 100% installation, id spent countless hours perfecting enclosures for this car, the install simply let the cheap gear sound its absolute best, cosmetics were spot on and it also helped that you could not see the cheapo speakers (so judges not put off by cheap brands during sound quality testing).

So in short, good installation is worth far more than whatever you pay for your audio gear, a $1000 sub will never sound good in a cardbord box (and yes i have seen that done,lol) , but a $100 sub can sound good in a well designed enclosure matched to the system and vehicle.

Installation is everything !....:D

Country_GU
5th May 2013, 07:34 AM
Try again

Ti Patrol Tweeters in Pillar

Other Option

I'm doing the second option that happygtu said except fibreglassing it onto the corner so it looks factory. Will post pics when it's completed.

04OFF
5th May 2013, 05:26 PM
You can also do things like place tweeters behind the A pillar panels, then drill a small hole/s in the front and cover the whole panel in a thin matching cloth (preferably speaker cloth) ,or get (or make) some grilles for the outside, either way ,you really need to work out where they sound best "first", think about it, the whole point in having speakers is the sound, so sound should come first with regard for location if you have a choice. :D

Well, seems like i took my own advice (he-he)

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/intmod3.jpg

Country_GU
12th May 2013, 01:13 PM
Looks nice! Ill have to post pics of mine when it's done, fibreglassing kit and Rockford components come at me!