PDA

View Full Version : Not very handy, but had a crack anyway!! (Tool/Storage box build)

Bigrig
27th October 2010, 06:47 PM
Howdy

well, basically we get out every couple of weeks, and having 4 kids, we always have to have the rear seats setup. Essentially, I had a plastic crate that fit fairly neatly in the back with the recovery gear, torches, ropes, jumper cables, tools, fluids etc, however was getting the poo's on at both having to take it out every time we got home, AND it flying around in the back everytime I hit a decent bump ... so ... decided to bite the bullet and built one myself with some scrap timber I had from a recent table building excercise - very rough and ready, but practicle, functional, and allows me to leave everything in there and still pile stuff on top etc ... covered the whole lot with black indoor/outdoor carpet, and decided as I was going to do the rear door panels also, as they were pretty bashed about ... happy to rip it out and start again, as I now want it bigger (it suits, but want to have a crack at something in checkplate next), so if you have suggestions/opinions, bring them on - would love to hear them (good or bad:1087:) ... sorry for the picture quality - from the iphone ...

It's bolted to the floor using the original tie down mounts, and with the extended bolts, the lockable latches, hinges, indoor/outdoor carpet, and odds and sods, cost me about $45 to build (about 8 hours all told with the carpeting on the box and back doors also)

the ferret
27th October 2010, 07:38 PM
Mate, you'll find that box very handy, a nice piece of carpentry too, you'll be making PIANOS very soon.

Bigrig
27th October 2010, 07:45 PM
They'd be dodgy piano's old mate!!!! LOL ... thanks for the feedback - it's actually perfect for what I initially wanted - stores all the fluids (water, oil, transmission, WD40, aeroguard, fire extinguisher, etc) and ropes on the small passenger side compartment; and tools, socket set, variety of tape, hoses, hose clamps (various sizes), torch, snatch strap, shackles, gloves, wire, etc, etc on the larger side.

NissanGQ4.2
27th October 2010, 07:55 PM
looks good mate, I know of a GQ that would love you to build it a set of draws, she might even drive all the way to sunny QLD if your willing........ *LMAO* don't think she would ever make it that far!!!!!!!

bsax
27th October 2010, 07:58 PM
looks very sharp, you've done a top job of that, i like the seals you have there (if thats what i see correctly) for the lid.

if you're wanting to make it bigger, perhaps put in a draw at the bottom of it to hold the smaller things instead of having to go through the whole thing to find one small tool
but thats isn't a must i mean what you have now but bigger and with a box for the small stuff (which im guessing you already have as such) would be more than sufficient for me and a lot more i reckon.

Bigrig
27th October 2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks Todd - you make it to Qld and it's a deal!!! Might take a carton or two to get it done (not payment, to drink whilst we do it!!) LOL

bsax - that's exactly what I was thinking - similar concept but the bottom section (same height as now) is a two level drawer system - one shallow for tools, one deeper for other gear, and the top 'section' as such is more of a tapered lid opening (similar to tradies toolboxes) that could house, well, anything?? Could still whack a bag or two on top if I had to. The other thought is a full width (goes over the wheel arches and down the side of the seats) checkplate box - the parts that go down the sides would be for cup holders & storage for the kids, and I could coat it in some material to stop it being too hot to touch etc. I seriously want to get a chiller box (say 8-10 cans size) in there somehow also ... for the 'ahem' kids drinks of course!! Thanks for the feedback.

All - do you reckon thin checkerplate on an alloy frame would be heavier than timber?? I'm thinking not, but this one only weighs about 10-12kgs ... and I'm thinking alloy would be easier to work with and overall should be stronger ... oh well, that's for another weekend ...

bsax
27th October 2010, 08:45 PM
sounds excellent but yeah, that would take a lot of work and some drawings before you start it for refference. but sounds awesome none the less.

as for the checkerplate/alloy frame design, personally i like working with timber only because i've learnt how to work it and feel comfortable with it, im not so good working with checkerplate.(not to say that i cant i just preffer wood)

yes it would be stronger though.

as for the weight, depends what your comparing it to, as in what kind of wood and the thickness would you use as opposed to the thickness of checkerplate.

keep in mind on price, unless you dont really have a budget you just want the product to look spectacular (not to say you cant get good quality out of timber)
i'm fairly sure checkerplate is expensive.

NissanGQ4.2
27th October 2010, 08:59 PM
Sorry mate, left an hour ago with a case of bourbon and a case of beer, but the old girl died, decided to sit on the side of the road and drink both cases :) might attempt the trip again 2morrow

AB
27th October 2010, 09:38 PM
Not very handy my *** mate, All looks neat and tidy looking from this side!

As said above, you'll be amazed how handy that box will end up being.

Bigrig
27th October 2010, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the comments lads - greatly appreciated. Todd ... where you at with the grog? It's only fair I try to meet you half way!!! LOL

Bsax - was thinking 1.6 or 2mm checkerplate only ... the plating would be a bit heavier than timber (15-18mm) but I figured the alloy frame would allow me to be more 'creative' - especially with drawers and the like - want to test my arc welding skills out too (haven't used it for a while) ... I'll sit on it for a bit - going on a trip next weekend (5th, 6th and 7th) to Janowen Hills out at the base of the Great Divide, so will see how it stands up to 3 days of punishment out there (can't wait!!).

Woof
28th October 2010, 08:11 PM
Hey, that's a job to be proud of mate.........bloody well done:icon_victory:

Bigrig
29th October 2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks mate - a checkerplate job is the next attempt as said ... that should be a giggleathon no doubt!!! The kids will probably learn about 47 new descriptive terms for cutting and welding!! "Daddy, I didn't know that type of weld was called a you f#*ker" ... LOL

the ferret
29th October 2010, 11:45 AM
many years ago when I started welding, my welds were called "fer F##k sakes"............ nothing's changed!!...... just kidd'n.

bsax
29th October 2010, 01:46 PM
ahh sweet, yeah it would allow more freedom.
good luck with it all, would love to see the final product when done XD

Bigrig
29th October 2010, 02:06 PM
No worries there - you lads will all see it ... it may look like one of those ridiculous metal artwork monuments out the front of most government buildings, but I'll be posting it either way!!!

Maxhead
31st October 2010, 05:14 PM
Top job mate, looks very neat and tidy

junex21
24th June 2011, 07:51 AM
I think everyone needs a storage just like me, I have several small storages at home. Really nice idea to have one for an organize things specially when you only have small houses.

Bigrig
24th June 2011, 07:58 AM
I think everyone needs a storage just like me, I have several small storages at home. Really nice idea to have one for an organize things specially when you only have small houses.

Ummmm yeah ... sure ... that's why I built it .... our house is small and our youngest son had nowhere to sleep!! lmfao!!!!

Couldn't resist sorry - but unless you have a Nissan Patrol mate, this is not a free forum for advertising your storage solutions!! It's a four wheel drive forum ...

YNOT
24th June 2011, 08:20 AM
I've removed the links to his website.

Tony

Bigrig
24th June 2011, 08:30 AM
I've removed the links to his website.

Tony

But I was just started with my fun!!! lmao ... I know, I know ... with great power comes great responsibility Scotty, so stop abusing it!!!! lol

DX grunt
24th June 2011, 09:35 AM
Nice one, Scotty. Looks heaps better with the anti skid mat (figure of speech only - lol), I mean carpeted.
Locks keep prying kids and fingers out! lol

Bigrig
24th June 2011, 11:01 AM
Nice one, Scotty. Looks heaps better with the anti skid mat (figure of speech only - lol), I mean carpeted.
Locks keep prying kids and fingers out! lol

Haha ... glad you like it mate, it's getting ripped out next week for the full storage system to go in!!! lol

I think old mate below just did a search on "storage" and found this old thread of mine ... hence it's popping up 7 months later!!! lmao

My brother has a GQ also, so giving it to him to put in his as he needs the dickie seats in the back, and has no storage for gear ...

patch697
24th June 2011, 11:04 AM
Haha ... glad you like it mate, it's getting ripped out next week for the full storage system to go in!!! lol

I think old mate below just did a search on "storage" and found this old thread of mine ... hence it's popping up 7 months later!!! lmao

My brother has a GQ also, so giving it to him to put in his as he needs the dickie seats in the back, and has no storage for gear ...

It'll serve him well mate, you made a bloody good job of it IMO...

Bigrig
24th June 2011, 11:10 AM
It'll serve him well mate, you made a bloody good job of it IMO...

Thanks mate!

It's been a God send for me - only small (ish) but holds all my tools and recovery gear with room to spare, so he'll find a use for it no doubt. It's cheap and nasty, but fully functional and does the trick!