PDA

View Full Version : Noisy steering wheel

Boomtiki
29th August 2012, 12:51 AM
Sorry to be posting weird things up like this one but it's this kind of thing that I need help with.
When I've been doing a bit of mountain climbing over the rough stuff my steering wheel starts making some noises like it would love to have a bit of grease rubbed on it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Any info is very much appreciated.

Woof
29th August 2012, 01:24 AM
Mate don't be sorry for asking any questions here, we are all here to help..................I cannot help you with this one but someone should be able to soon hopefully.

97_gq_lwb
29th August 2012, 07:29 AM
Might be the horn their is a small brass type bit that is spring loaded that pushes against a ring on the back of the steering wheel.

BearGUST
29th August 2012, 09:16 AM
What model is it? I've got a GU3 ZD30 Di which gets a noise in the steering when I'm off road and giving it a hard time. Mine sounds like the fluid is airated, I haven't really looked into it though...
Is that the sort of noise you mean?

Robo
31st August 2012, 11:37 AM
Might be the horn their is a small brass type bit that is spring loaded that pushes against a ring on the back of the steering wheel.

Had this one my-self squeak from contact as described above.
Contact pin was worn badly and also jamming slightly side ways , remember reshaping end to allow a new tip contact rounded slightly.
And smoothed round contact plate.
Was able to remove plate from boss and deck it on a sheet of glass and w&dry.
The wet and dry was a second attempt as noise was still there after first attempt but you may get lucky.
Then metal polish and finished by wax & grease plate to improve further as polish may insulate some-what.
Cheers

Boomtiki
22nd October 2012, 12:34 AM
Mines more of a metal on metal noise. I might have to look at some steering schematics to see the likely candidates.
Cheers for the reply.
Like your rig, looks tough.
& love the colour.