PDA

View Full Version : Problems with chip it module

Mick R
28th August 2012, 11:24 PM
Hi all I have a chip it module fitted to my 2008 GU patrol 3.0l crd auto and it's been creating quite a few problems, when it was installed the dealer did the "pressure release valve modification " and replaced it with a solid valve, the car was working fine for a little bit then it created a fuel leak at the end of the fuel rail where the valve was removed from, the fault code was " large fuel leak" by memory, an o-ring was replaced and the fuel leak and fault code was gone, after the valve was replaced I re-connected the chip and the car started jolting whilst driving and over revving, I disconnected the chip once again and the car lost revs whilst driving over around 70kmh, so I think the chip is exadurating the problem, can anyone relate to this problem or no what the problem could be?
Thanks in advance

MEGOMONSTER
29th August 2012, 08:41 PM
You having any luck with the problem.

happygu
29th August 2012, 08:49 PM
Firstly, I would be going back to the dealer who fitted the chip, to see if they can rectify the fault, as they can hook the car up on the dyno to look at it, and it will probably be something due to the modifications.

If you have to do it yourself, then the other thing to do is to drop in a more mild tune into the chip and check to see how this goes.

Worst case, put the fuel pressure relief valve back in, and see if it goes back to normal without the chip, then if you want the extra mumbo if the chip start by installing lower spec tunes, until you are happy

Mic

threedogs
29th August 2012, 08:57 PM
X2 on Happygtu, What other mods have you had fitted?

Mick R
29th August 2012, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the reply happygtu

The pressure release valve has been replaced already i just didn't quite word it properly, I have just recieved the chip back from chip it in Perth with the chip tuned down, but with the pressure release valve re-fitted the car is still losing revs while driving on the highway so the problem wasn't fixed from replacing the valve, would you possibly know which part of the fuel rail setup could be causing this problem? Cheers

happygu
29th August 2012, 10:35 PM
Mick,

I wish I could help more, but I haven't had any problems with my car - so no diagnosis done from my end.

It sounds like either an air leak somewhere in the fuel system, or possibly a faulty throttle position sensor.....but although I am handy at fixing things, I am not a trained mechanic nor an expert.

One of the best problem solving tools, is to retrace your steps in reverse to the point where you know everything was OK. Car not OK now - but was OK 6 months ago - what have I done in the last six months and in what order......

I.E. You know the car was running well, and then you took the rear wheel off and tried to drive off suddenly noticing the car was on a lean. The best thing to do is to re-live the story in reverse, and think to yourself well the car seemed OK until I ....took the wheel off.....must check that and make sure it is put back on correctly.
This might seem silly, but i see it a lot on forums, where people jump logic and try to crazily think of every idea under the sun to fix things.....My car is on a lean....I just filled the tank up with diesel.....do you think that the baffles in the tank are trapping the fuel on the passenger side... do I need to replace my fuel tank..... has my spring broken

If the problem has persisted for a while and none of us can help you, it may be best to bite the bullet and take it in to someone with the correct training. We all seem to not want to pay someone for their expertise, but i know for myself in my work, as I have been doing the same type of work for quite a while, if someone rings up with a problem I can often diagnose it before I get there to have a look. A Nissan Mechanic or an old tradesman who has been servicing cars for a long time can often diagnose and fix the problem for less than you think.

If we know where you are, someone will be able to recommend someone for you.

Mic

Mick R
29th August 2012, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the advice mate I'll definitely add that to the list of possible causes to the problems haha, it's starting to look like Im going to have to spend the big bucks to get my baby looked at and fixed by a professional, but If anyone has any other ideas that would be greatly appreciated, thanks again guys

happygu
29th August 2012, 11:36 PM
You would think that someone would have had a similar issue to help nail it down a little

Mick R
30th August 2012, 12:03 AM
I sure hope so, thanks mate

RtvMick
17th December 2013, 07:39 PM
G'Day Mick R, i have a GU 2011, i have had a chip fitted from chipit , Dom 1 and i've had nothing but problems which sound very much like yours,fuel leaking from the end of the rail, going into limp mode at 2000 rpm,its going back in tomorrow for the sixth time the O ring has been changed three times , now they tell me that the copper washer needs to be replaced ,apparently they have used the same washer which is a big No No ,copper washers are a use once only product .
Did you end up getting it sorted ?

Steve4wdin
17th December 2013, 08:04 PM
My opinion only is simple. Through the chip in the bin. Any mod that requires the engine safety systems to be removed is just not right. There their for a reason. Fuel rail pressures on a CRD are about 20,000psi. By putting a chip in and blocking rail safety system can result in a injector going through a piston. Big dollars to fix. Chips can increase rail pressures up to 30,000psi.
I would suggest a bigger exhaust instead and see how that goes.
Just my 2 bobs worth.
Steve