PDA

View Full Version : Machining Head ?

Nozzle
28th August 2012, 08:18 PM
Machining my tb 42 petrol head yes or no ?
I meen if its damaged or not flat its a givin
but if its clean flat and free from visual cracks and its obviuos the gasket was the problem
do i still put it in the shop ?

I dont want to waste money if i dont have to
It's to hard to come by.

Oil and water do mix they make cream

mrflibbles
28th August 2012, 08:22 PM
doesnt hurt to get them pressure tested, as there can be cracks you cant see...

97_gq_lwb
28th August 2012, 08:26 PM
I always just have them crack tested machined and cleaned valves reseated etc not worth ripping it back off again for the sake of $330
They even fit the new valve stem seals for you.
and i always make sure the block is flat and perfectly clean i even go to the trouble of using a white rag and wax and grease remover.

roadthumperpatrol
28th August 2012, 08:30 PM
Highly Agree /\ /\ /\ never a waste of money crack testing and valve regrind a head while it's off :)

nipagu7
28th August 2012, 08:42 PM
Difficult to say without knowing more about the car . How many Ks has it done . How long has the head gasket been leaking for. If it has done less than about 100 000 Ks and the the head gasket has only been leaking for a short time and the motor has not badly over heated I would think it is good to put back on as is . But if the Ks are higher and/or the head gasket has been leaking for a while and especially If the motor has boiled over I would have the head overhauled , not just machined .

Nozzle
28th August 2012, 08:43 PM
Bugger
I new the answer im just tight and lazy, and wanted to here it was alright to just whack it back on
oh well, i'll just have to do it properly slowly precisely and a lot of :xxxx:'s

oil and water do mix they make cream

Nozzle
28th August 2012, 08:57 PM
It has 250,000 on the clock ive had it for only 6 months runs absolutely perfect
wasnt leaking when i got it but thats probably due to a couple bottles of chemiweld i assume (the oil was clean when i got it and didnt give it a second thought it was to clean)
started leaking about 4 weeks after by then i had done about 200 ks
at first i only noticed a white paste in the oil filler cap then a couple weeks later the sump went creamy.
it wasn't getting hot while i was driving it dunno if it has before.

Just so damn annoying because it runs so well. starts first wind doesn't miss you can balance a coin on the tappet cover
Just keeps wanting to make cream.

97_gq_lwb
28th August 2012, 09:12 PM
Good chance it is just the gasket broken down one thing that would stop this happening again is a regular ph balance test on the cooling system.
But i'd still have it serviced to be safe

Richo460
29th August 2012, 01:25 AM
yeah get it done, alluminium heads are nasty things, do it once and do it right, don't gorget to re tension the head bolts after a few k's once she is back on the road.

Nozzle
31st August 2012, 11:28 PM
thanks all heads coming off next weekend