PDA

View Full Version : Mr Flibbles GQ

mrflibbles
28th August 2012, 05:25 PM
Hi guys said hello in the intro, so now to introduce my truck!
It is a 1993 4.2 injected, on gas and auto (was looking for a manual but this was a good deal i could not pass up!)
It has done 162,000kms and already has a bit of a lift an ARB bull bar and Safari snorkel. As a bonus it is reasonably neat and tidy inside and out.
The Bad bit is the starter doesnt work properly and the power ariel doesnt work!
Still havent driven it too far, but it feels reasonbly nice when it has been driven!
My main plans for it is to use it to take the family out camping and to generally have some fun with it.
mods planned for it are roof basket, some storage drawers for the inside, add a uhf radio and a few other bits and pieces as i can.
now for some pictures....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/1994xr6/4wd/patrol.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/1994xr6/4wd/patrol1.jpg

AB
28th August 2012, 05:29 PM
Very nice and neat mate, don't mind that colour either!

threedogs
28th August 2012, 05:50 PM
X2 with AB there, nice and clean and a great colour.
you'll find any info you need here, plenty of GQ freaks
Freat bunch of people as well. Enjoy

mrflibbles
28th August 2012, 06:00 PM
thanks guys, loving this forum and loving the DIY section, just keep getting ideas on what to do with it!
Want to give it a good going over and change all fluids and grease everything before i go to far, just gotta get a starter and register it for now!

choppie
28th August 2012, 10:30 PM
X3 with AB, nice tidy rig mate. don't let a little thing like a starter motor stop you having fun, Welcome aboard

mrflibbles
1st September 2012, 08:44 AM
I have only been running the Patrol on petrol since i got it, so i thought i would give the LPG a try, what a let down it idles fine but doesnt rev on gas, Im thinking i might just yank the gas out and fit another fuel tank. There is only about a year left on the gas before i have to get it retested so i would rather just get rid of it.
Oh and i still have to fix the starter! (Its easy enough to start at the moment!)

growler2058
1st September 2012, 09:46 AM
Very noice mate now for some muddies and MUD :-)

timbar
1st September 2012, 11:55 AM
Nice blank canvas mate mod away but get it regoed first ....low kms too nice

BARWICK
1st September 2012, 02:17 PM
tuff truck mate

mrflibbles
1st September 2012, 02:20 PM
rego will be happening next week then i can actually drive it on the road rather than the nieghbours driveway!!!

Clunk
1st September 2012, 02:20 PM
Nice looking ride you got there mate, great blank canvas

Ed.
1st September 2012, 06:41 PM
good work mate! awesome colour and looks like a really straight body

mrflibbles
2nd September 2012, 06:04 PM
good news fixed the starter motor issue, took it out and cleaned all the contacts for the power to get to it, also gave the battery terminals a clean and the earth points a clean too, put it all back together and tried it, started first go! total cost was zero just an hour or so of fumbling around!
next up rego this week i hope!

Sir Roofy
2nd September 2012, 06:14 PM
Glad to hear it mate saved the dollars on a diy job
plus the satisfaction of doing it your self

Punderhead
2nd September 2012, 07:15 PM
mate is the gas tank full or near empty? You will always have less power on gas but when it is near empty it can't get enough through for higher revs and it loses power. If it is near empty try filling it to at least half full, and then see how it goes and for how long before it loses power again.

Cheers!

mrflibbles
2nd September 2012, 07:29 PM
the gauge on the dash says the tank is full (about as trustworthy as a wet fart), does gas go off like fuel? its been sitting for near on 2 years before i got it.
I know very little about gas, this is only the second car i have had on gas, the others i had i pulled it out of!

mrflibbles
7th September 2012, 07:24 PM
Well got the truck registered today, so expect some poser shots in the next few days! all in all im pretty happy with what i have for what i paid (so far less than $800 in it) cant wait to take it for a decent run and see what i have!

Crankshaft
9th September 2012, 04:50 PM
You have a very nice looking vehicle and with nice km My old MK "red " is running LPG and after a few issues it is now running great typically 370 to 400 kilometres on a tank of gas (70 litres) and a typically a cost of less than $50. It took a bit but it is now smooth and sweet and although LPG is supposed to be a bit less powerful cant tell the difference. It could be the petrol is not as good as it could be but it still goes well for a 2.8L.

mrflibbles
9th September 2012, 05:29 PM
cheers mate, i love the truck and was origionally looking for a MK/MQ as i didnt have a lot of cash! luckily this one popped up and i was on it straight away! I will look into the gas system as i go, im hoping its something reasonably straight forward as it idles on gas perfect just wont rev (when you push the go pedal it dies and stalls).

I have driven it around 200km over the weekend and it drive superb (on petrol)!

Punderhead
9th September 2012, 08:13 PM
Maybe a silly question but is your radiator topped up? On my car at least my heater hoses run off the radiator, and when i had low water they weren't heating, causing my convertor to freeze and die.

I any case it sounds as though you are only getting enough gas through for the idle and when you put down your foot it just can't keep up so it is possibly also a mostly blocked hose. I would take it to a few LPG place and see what they have to say about it, or if you know what you are doing then pull the convertor out and clean it and see if that makes a difference. (It did for me)

Cheers!

mrflibbles
9th September 2012, 08:56 PM
thanks, radiator is full i have checked it nearly everytime i go out to it! (paranoid about doing the head already!) will definately hit up some Gas guys at some stage. I thought that the converter might be freezing up but so far it seems to be getting warm coolant through it. Do the gas systems run a filter in them?

mrflibbles
24th March 2013, 12:53 PM
spent some time giving the old girl some love! Got the LPG system working, turns out the lpg gauge is showing full all the time even when empty! just goes to show never assume something is right! At least it was a cheap fix!
Also put a new set of belts on the truck and while doing that noticed the fan was starting to crack, will have to get another one from somewhere!

I did try some 315/70r16 tyres on her too, but it would need more lift for them to fit properly!