PDA

View Full Version : oil oil oil, how i hate you....

KL570
28th August 2012, 10:39 AM
Hey guys,

so I noticed last time i went on a long trip, old mr oil light came on. sob he is... and my oil pressure had dropped right down...

i checked my oil that morning, apparently didnt read it right after my 3 hours of sleep, and had minimal oil in my engine.

4 litres of 20w-60 later and oil level was right on full and oil pressure picked up to just above 4.

end of the trip and oil pressure picked up and went to 6

then

2 days later oil pressure had dropped and sits just below the first line on the dial. engine isnt overheating and oil is still full.

so my analysis is:
1- possible stuffed oil pump
2- possibly blocked pickup
3- guage/sender is stuffed

anyone got any ideas?

much love yo
kade

Bigrig
28th August 2012, 10:46 AM
I'd go sender first - well known for their lack of accuracy and failure ...

Mine will sometimes sit about 4 when driving then drop to just above 1 when I pull up to a set of lights, and when I take off, stay thereabouts and not go up again ... till some point where it decides it wants to!! lol ... temperamental indeed!!

Ben-e-boy
28th August 2012, 11:13 AM
I'd go sender first - well known for their lack of accuracy and failure ...

Mine will sometimes sit about 4 when driving then drop to just above 1 when I pull up to a set of lights, and when I take off, stay thereabouts and not go up again ... till some point where it decides it wants to!! lol ... temperamental indeed!!

thats good and sounds accurate to me. it should be lower at hot idle than under accelleration or at higher rpm.

KL570, I think you should give it a good service first before spending time and money fault finding when I could be something as easy as a blocked filter

nissannewby
29th August 2012, 12:54 PM
As above with the other 2 it wouldnt hurt to throw a mechanical gauge on it and take it for a drive so you can see exactly whats going on then go from there. I know my GU will sit at about 10 psi at idle when warm then 60-70 once cruising along at revs.

Ben-e-boy
29th August 2012, 02:30 PM
As above with the other 2 it wouldnt hurt to throw a mechanical gauge on it and take it for a drive so you can see exactly whats going on then go from there. I know my GU will sit at about 10 psi at idle when warm then 60-70 once cruising along at revs.

really. mine is 21psi hot idle and 55-60 cold and under throttle. why so different?

nissannewby
29th August 2012, 07:10 PM
Im not sure my GQ is the same. I just put it down to the senders not being overly accurate at a lower pressure. Put a mechanical gauge on the GQ and it reads similar to what yours does.