PDA

View Full Version : Lift before or after trip?

Cbates
28th August 2012, 09:21 AM
I'm going on a 2 week trip up to Darwin via the tanami and will have a bit of weight on the roof (6 jerry cans and two wheels) and I've got my 2 inch lift quoted but not sure if it will make the springs sag over the trip and it's worth waiting till after? Thoughts guys? Cheers

Winnie
28th August 2012, 09:24 AM
That's a lot of weight on the roof! I would wait until after the trip because it's not gonna be good for the suspension but it probably won't matter much anyway. Then again I'd probably be too excited for the lift and do it anyway.

BearGUST
28th August 2012, 09:38 AM
I'd be getting the lift done before, if they are medium-heavy duty springs you're getting put in the thing will ride a hell of a lot better with that weight!

But as KRISTOFFA said - That's a lot of weight on the roof!
Does all of that need to go on the roof? It's well over the load rating of the roof and it will have some serious body roll, even with decent springs.

Benno7
28th August 2012, 09:40 AM
I would do it before the trip Because it will handle the load better than std suspension.
Its mainly the std shocks that will let you down.
What brand lift are you looking at?
It might be worth you looking at getting a bigger fuel tank rather than caring 6xjerry cans.

threedogs
28th August 2012, 09:44 AM
Go the lift first, and take spare shocks, the Tanami is murder on suspension, Whats all the jerrys for???
Standard you have approx 1000k range

Cbates
28th August 2012, 12:02 PM
There's two cars going, mine and an fj, I got a 80l petrol 90l gas. Fj only gets 400ks. It's got aftermarket shocks on it, not sure what type, I'll check tonight. I'm excited to get it lifted. Not sure the brand but my mate runs the cfa courses through metec driving school in Kilsyth. And he's getting them for me. Yea I thought it would be a lot of weight too. My boss has the fj. All for the sake of picking up 400$ worth of fire works

BearGUST
28th August 2012, 02:52 PM
It seems like a decent reason to me!
I assume you mean an FJ cruiser? I've seen some videos of them doing some impressive stuff! 400km range is not great though.

choppie
28th August 2012, 11:19 PM
Tell the boss to get a real truck and carry his own fuel. ha ha ha