PDA

View Full Version : TD42 reverse switch trouble

huey_gq
28th August 2012, 08:20 AM
My name is Hughsie, i have just purchased a relatively standard gq 4.2 diesel. I need to get it roadworthy and need to get the reverse lights operational. I think i have an issue with the reverse switch. i have found a switch with a short lead and a plug end just floating around. It is pretty much right at the top in the centre half way between the gearstick and bellhousing. I cant seem to find any good photos of gearboxes out or the car or even the switch. Just wondering if anyone could post some photos of a gearbox or reverse switch to help me out. Maybe even the other end of the plug could be handy.

Thanks in advance Hughsie

Silver
28th August 2012, 08:40 AM
Can't help with a photo unfortunately - however someone who can will probably be along soon. If I were you I would wait until one of those people does come along, because what follows is just my inexpert musings :-)

I assume it is a manual? If an auto can you start it in gears other than reverse?

Just to confirm, the wire you speak of, does it protrude from the box, or hang from the body? Either way I guess you have looked to see if its mate is dangling around somewhere near it?

In the meantime, is that plug connected to a single wire or a double wire? If single wire, can you test it with a multimeter set to ohms/resistance/continuity? Perhaps it will allow a connection to ground when reverse is selected . Connect one lead to the tab in the plug, the other to the outside of the gearbox and see what readings you get?

If there is a single wire, and if it only goes to earth when reverse is selected, then run a wire from a wire that is live when ignition is on, (or acc if you prefer that, pretty sure from factory reverse only works when ign on but acc may help if you are going to use that signal down the back for accessory lights, to the reverse lamp part of the harness, and then run the earth wire for the reverse lamps back through the switch on the box. I can hear auto leccies all over the place shuddering as I write this :-).

I'd be tempted to use the signal produced by that switch to control a relay, and run a heavier wire to the rear from battery through the accessory/load side of the relay to the rear. That way you can use it to run other accessory lights. A better way might be to run a heavy wire direct from the battery to the rear, fuse near the battery, and play any relay games etc, down the back.

If there are two wires in that plug, it is not earthing through the switch box. I think I'll keep quiet now and wait for an expert in case I lead you into something untidy. There will be existing wiring you can leap into somewhere :-)

97_gq_lwb
28th August 2012, 09:25 AM
If it is a gq the reverse switch should have green white/ yellow red wires

kiwijase
28th August 2012, 01:01 PM
it will be the reverse switch,either that or the speed signal wire that records milage (not speed as such)

huey_gq
28th August 2012, 07:22 PM
The wire dangling has 2 wires (not sure of colours) and there are no stray plugs i could find. There is no room to reach up there with a multimeter so that makes it a bit hard. The other switch is also a 2 wire plug, i just cant seen to get it off its little bracket to be able to seperate the plug and test it. I have priced a new switch and for $48 i think i will grab one and look for one on the box the same. I am thinking i might have to pull the gearstick cover off to maybe access better. I should be able to reach the stray one reasonably easily because its right at the top. Thanks for all the ideas silver, but i think your reading into it a little far. I hope its just a case of changing the switch, which will be the hard part.

Thanks for the imput guys
Hughsie

BearGUST
28th August 2012, 08:45 PM
See if you can shove a paperclip across the back of the plug which you think is the reverse light switch, see if the the reverse lights come on (with ignition on)...
If they do it's a dud switch.

huey_gq
29th August 2012, 08:08 AM
I will try that, if i can get to it. Thanks

huey_gq
11th September 2012, 03:55 PM
Well i tried everything in my power to try get the sucker out. Including about a metre of extention bars with no luck so i bit the bullet and took it to the mechanic. It cost $100 but i guess it shows that experience and tools get the job done.